• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 13: Riccione – Cento, 179.0k

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
4 cyclists were disqualified from the results from taking the train

oh wait this was in the 1906 TDF not todays Giro stage. Sorry
You don't need to go that far. Just last year in the prestigious Albanian national championships this happened:

"I had a good view of the long straight wide roads," he explains. "There was no one to be seen. Relaxed I kept my pace. And suddenly some riders were on my wheel. I didn't believe my own eyes. That was impossible. Because I didn't weaken. Apparently, they had hung on a support car and they were sheltered by that car."

And my favorite:

“That man was completely parked at the second passage on the climb. People have seen him hiding in a forest along the trail," it is said. "He also suddenly appeared in the lead group again. Oddly enough, his Strava data has disappeared. Perhaps we would see that he has only ridden thirty kilometres."

That 1906 Tour looked pretty interesting, here's Rene Pottier putting in one of his classic attacks, going thermonuclear putting 47 minutes into his rivals after a mere 15 hours in the saddle.

No he didn't, he crashed out the next day on the epic wet cobbles stage. The stage 4 crash would have been survivable otherwise.
He was indeed taped up and Brailsford went out with a load of bs about how Froome was fine etc etc but Froome had problems just steering his bike (not to mention all the painkillers probably going about in his system), and I think they even adjusted Froome's bike so he only had to use one hand. But, even if he had managed to stay upright (which lots of guys could n't in the wet & rain), I don't think he would have got far over the Roubaix cobbles with a fractured wrist.
Any who, moral of the story being, it might be a flat boring sprint stage but disaster can strike any time. Back to the commentators!

That 1906 Tour looked pretty interesting, here's Rene Pottier putting in one of his classic attacks, going thermonuclear putting 47 minutes into his rivals after a mere 15 hours in the saddle.

That is why René Pottier is actually considered the first real climber of the Tour de France, he dropped everybody on the Ballon d‘Alsace that day. The 47 minutes weren‘t that important, because the general classification was scored based on points. By the way, Henri Desgrange, the Tour‘s first director said that the optimal Tour in his view would have only one rider reach Paris.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Those came close. A couple finished 11 hours behind. Did they even make the start for the next stage, since they had been on the road for more than 24 hours.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It is so infuriating that the German commentators still haven‘t understood that there‘s ciclamino points at the Intergiro, I‘m considering actually writing to Eurosport to inform them.
I think Bengesch has, but has given up on correcting the others. Last time he tried, Migels told him to stop it because now the ciclamino points (there were none) are more important.

On 25 January 1907 he committed suicide by hanging himself on his bike hook after hearing his wife had found a lover while he was away at the Tour.
wtf