• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 16: Livigno – Santa Cristina Valgardena/Sankt Christina in Gröden (Monte Pana), 202.0k 206.0k

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does your work involve a serious risk of death that is increased in bad weather?

I think it would be reasonable for, e.g. a builder, to say I can't work today because there is snow/ice and so a serious risk. Going down that descent where there is potentially ice while racing is dangerous and the riders should be able to say that. I am sure almost all of them want to race
I come from an era where we don't moan, we just get on with it. Young people today are soft.

Reactions: Sandisfan
You cannot remove all risks without banning pro cycling.

So if you want pro cycling, you have to tolerate some risks. And when the question then is the right amount to be tolerated, it's no longer an argument to say that we've had "enough".
Sure, but riding on snow might be seen as not something they should tolerate? If ALL riders, not just a few, but 100% said this is too much, maybe our first response should be to listen?

Reactions: CPT. Z
View: https://x.com/HansenAdam/status/1792795856766144857

Riders don't ride the Umbrail. It will probably be shortend or canceled.
If shortend the winner will be from the bunch. UAE could ride and I think Bora will ride for bonis.
One of the biggest issues, perhaps the biggest issue, with the CPA is that Adam Hansen is, to be frank, of mediocre intellect. He writes poorly and the open letters are unconvincing.

"such conditions pose significant health risks, particularly during the descent of the Umbrail Pass" – this is way too vague a statement. What do you mean by this? What health risks? Why the descent?

One of the biggest issues, perhaps the biggest issue, with the CPA is that Adam Hansen is, to be frank, of mediocre intellect. He writes poorly and the open letters are unconvincing.

"such conditions pose significant health risks, particularly during the descent of the Umbrail Pass" – this is way too vague a statement. What do you mean by this? What health risks? Why the descent?

I imagine it's because of the wind chill. Would probably feel like below freezing if going down at full speed.

Though I do wonder if the current clothing really can't help.

Reactions: Brullnux
Oh, by the way, weather conditions on the Eira-Foscagno passage have deteriorated to the point of snow, while Umbrail is still enjoying borderline weather so it would be OK if they went on to cut the early part of the stage out, but as long as there is no actual snow on the road, they could also still ride on. If there‘s just one corner where it‘s still snowing but there‘s no snow on the road because afterwards they‘ll be below the snow line, it‘s just a bit of a stretch to cut 70 kilometers of riding. If there‘s actual snow on the road, I will be very surprised.

But anyway, road conditions are not even mentioned in Hansen‘s open letter, the only things in the letter are the cold and neutralising in the cold.