• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d’Italia 2024, Stage 8: Spoleto – Prati di Tivo, 152.0k

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pogi doing the smart thing now. He needs no more time, but gets the third stage win. If I were him I would just follow wheels and sprint for Victories from here. Boring for us but bring on the Giro tour Double.
Agreed. Due to time zones I don’t often sit in front of a TV or computer screen watching these stages unfold. I usually watch the video highlights, read the race reports then read the banter in this forum. Today the race thread was filled with comments about cats? So whether it’s boring if Pog wins via mountain sprints doesn’t concern me knowing he is attempting something that hasn’t been achieved for 26 years.

In Italy people dont go to jail for killing a cat, much less see that a 20 year-old is shamed and cut out of his profession for the rest of his life over it. Redemption is favored over punishment.
Shamed he was. No cyclist received as much media coverage in the past 10 years outside of Nibali and perhaps Ganna.
But yeah, I guess you're right about Italy.

Was he actually going for GC? I took it he just wanted to try getting in pink when the opportunity arose and maybe do well for a while to see how things go.
Yesterday morning he told the press wearing the white jersey was nice but he didn't expect to keep it until Rome (or even after the stage).

If I'm not mistaken Pinotti claimed Plapp is a long term project as a GT rider.

Reactions: Cookster15
Is anyone keeping track of Pog's biological energy storage, there was a bunch of discussion about his need for a delicate balance, so as not to use too much during the Giro so he will have enough for the TDF..from what I am seeing he doesn't look to be going on the limit for most of the stages..maybe the TT..today he was pretty snappy in the sprint
In the lead up to the sprint his body language was like someone from the gruppetto

Reactions: Cookster15
Aru did manager a GT win and two more podiums during his two peak years, before he suddenly declined. If Tiberi managers to reach about the same level and extend his peak years for a longer time, he should be very satisfied. Especially if the current trend continues, with the widespread neglect of the Giro from a vast majority of the top GC riders.
What? Only top GC rider who has neglected it is Vingegaard

Shamed he was. No cyclist received as much media coverage in the past 10 years outside of Nibali and perhaps Ganna.
But yeah, I guess you're right about Italy.

Yesterday morning he told the press wearing the white jersey was nice but he didn't expect to keep it until Rome (or even after the stage).

If I'm not mistaken Pinotti claimed Plapp is a long term project as a GT rider.
True, in the media, but it quickly passed without enduring consequence.