• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Giro d'Italia Giro d'Italia 2025 Route: Speculation, Rumours and Announcements

The Grande Partenza of the 2025 edition is rumoured to be Trieste (with an ITT), followed by two stages in the region. One of them should finish in Gorizia (European Capital of Culture in 2025) and cross the border to Slovenia like in 2021.

Valle d'Aosta is interested in hosting the Giro again (article from last year): https://www.ansa.it/valledaosta/not...025_07218f95-0996-4e35-b017-bf94ef1447a2.html

Last edited:
Damn this thread is early this year.

I coudl post my usual wishlist cause they never happen and stay the same.

But I'm fully expecting Mortirolo from Edolo again.
I save my wish list for the Race Design Thread. I've had a route fully pieced together for some time, so it should soon be published there.

EDIT: Okay, not so soon. But here's a taste of what I'd like to see in the Giro.

Last edited:
here's what i want:
Zoncolan from the easiest side
Mortirolo from the easiest side
at least 3, but ideally 4 mountain top finishes on climbs less than 7% average
10 sprint stages
a time trial on the penultimate day that is so hard everyone saves their energy for it for the entire previous 19 stages

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
There were a few articles about a 2025 Giro stage to Austria this and last year:

According to this there should be a stage to Lienz followed by another stage to Salzburg (the city, not the state) going over the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. I find the details highly doubtful for a multitude of reasons, but the story was published by more credible sources than the one I linked too (the articles were paywalled there), so there is definitely something to it. My guess is, there might be one stage finishing in Austria with the finish being in the state of Salzburg. That stage might include the Großglockner, with the north side of the pass and possible finishing locations like the Edelweißspitze and St. Johann Alpendorf (the classical Österreich Rundfahrt finish) all located in Salzburg.

Maybe they want to get it to the city Salzburg, but I don't see the organizers agreeing to that. It's about 200km from the Italian border and would force the Giro to spend an ununsual amount of time in a different country. I think it's very plausible the rumour about another stage to Lienz originated because the people in Salzburg want the people in Tyrol (where Lienz is located) to host a stage too, so they don't need to cover the entire distance from Italy to Salzburg in one stage. But since all the reports are about Salzburg and often published by media from Salzburg I'm doubting there is as much interest in Tyrol.

There were a few articles about a 2025 Giro stage to Austria this and last year:

According to this there should be a stage to Lienz followed by another stage to Salzburg (the city, not the state) going over the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße. I find the details highly doubtful for a multitude of reasons, but the story was published by more credible sources than the one I linked too (the articles were paywalled there), so there is definitely something to it. My guess is, there might be one stage finishing in Austria with the finish being in the state of Salzburg. That stage might include the Großglockner, with the north side of the pass and possible finishing locations like the Edelweißspitze and St. Johann Alpendorf (the classical Österreich Rundfahrt finish) all located in Salzburg.

Maybe they want to get it to the city Salzburg, but I don't see the organizers agreeing to that. It's about 200km from the Italian border and would force the Giro to spend an ununsual amount of time in a different country. I think it's very plausible the rumour about another stage to Lienz originated because the people in Salzburg want the people in Tyrol (where Lienz is located) to host a stage too, so they don't need to cover the entire distance from Italy to Salzburg in one stage. But since all the reports are about Salzburg and often published by media from Salzburg I'm doubting there is as much interest in Tyrol.
So Real Grossglockner and not that fake Grossglockner thing they did in 2011?

here is another article about it, where it sounds more like it's not necessarily the Giro they currently aim for anymore - or not for 2025 at least:

"There are no plans yet [to bring the Giro to Salzburg]. That would be something for politics and tourism to look into. [...] But the goal is to get a pro tour race to Salzburg."

Although I'm honestly not sure what "pro tour" is supposed to mean in this context. Maybe he just didn't notice the name change sth like 15 years ago.

So Real Grossglockner and not that fake Grossglockner thing they did in 2011?
Would be real Großglockner but still from the slightly easier side and most importantly it wouldn't be Großglockner-Franz Josefs Höhe, which is far and beyond the best thing you can do with that climb. But yeah, I hadn't seen the article @search linked, which sounds a lot more pessimistic. Funnily enough, the second article I linked, which makes a stage to Salzburg sound a lot more likely is actually newer, but it's quoting the same person as the pessimisitc one, so I would take it with a grain of salt. Taking all these articles together I would guess there will be no Giro stage in Austria next year. The tone would probably be more positive if there was one.

Yeah this is a bit weird. First of all, Krone isn't a newspaper of great quality so these short articles don't have many details. Secondly, given that Salzburg is a city as well as a state the terminology gets a bit confusing if the plan is just to finish somewhere in Salzburg or specifically in the city Salzburg itself.

There are a few older articles which specifically mention two stages: One coming from Italy and finishing in Lienz. The second going from Lienz over Großglockner to Salzburg, which as mentioned by @Gigs_98 would be similar to stage 16 this year just with a flat finish and wasting a monster like Großglockner for nothing lol. The problem is afterwards there isn't really a meaningful pass to go over before heading to Salzburg. You could add a few loops through the mountains just before Salzburg but I doubt it.

Irrespective of the route, I think with Red Bull entering the game and the company being based in Salzburg as well as the new Salzburg (state) government apparently really pushing for something seems quite likely to happen in the next 2 years.
But if they finish in Salzburg they're really far away from Italy so would take quite a bit to get back. So I'd be a bit surprise if we see multiple major mountain stages outside of Italy.

Sölden would be just on the way back, just saying...

Yeah that's quite a big if
If not, Roglic will probably try the Tour again next year, since he already won the Giro and Vuelta.

Remco evenepoel maybe will also do the Giro next year.

Hindley should comeback to the Giro next year.

I think the field will be much better next year. I hope the route of the Giro 2025 can be better than this year, and if they can't go to Passo Gavia, Passo stelvio because of the snow, i hope they comeback to passo giau and the hard sides of Mont Zoncolan and Mortirolo.