• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Going to give it go

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
At the age of 56, I want to have a go at CX, I last rode CX back in the late seventies after watching Dickie Davies on the World of Sport I the rode a steel Carlton cobra which I also doubled up as Time Trial bike then.

Spent doing time trials and later years commuting on a 20 mile round trip and MTB which I got bored with. So wanting to get back into CX.

So what I am looking for in a bike and can I get a bike to start with a good frame to upgrade groups set and wheels later on of the shelf for around a grand.

Thanks in advance.

da1esman said:
At the age of 56, I want to have a go at CX, I last rode CX back in the late seventies after watching Dickie Davies on the World of Sport I the rode a steel Carlton cobra which I also doubled up as Time Trial bike then.

Spent doing time trials and later years commuting on a 20 mile round trip and MTB which I got bored with. So wanting to get back into CX.

So what I am looking for in a bike and can I get a bike to start with a good frame to upgrade groups set and wheels later on of the shelf for around a grand.

Thanks in advance.

Don't get too attached to upgrading bits and pieces. Outside of a lighter set of wheels, it's very expensive and not that beneficial.

I know some will disagree, but find a bike being sold that still has cantilevers. It will be selling at a huge discount because consumers think they need discs. If you need more braking power, throw some v-brakes on and you are ready.

Here's an example:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBGUANT/guerciotti-antares-cross-bike

Be careful with sizing as a proper CX bike has a high bottom bracket. If it has a 52cm seat tube, it may fit like a 54. So, watch the standover spec.

Good luck and have fun.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Don't get too attached to upgrading bits and pieces. Outside of a lighter set of wheels, it's very expensive and not that beneficial.

I know some will disagree, but find a bike being sold that still has cantilevers. It will be selling at a huge discount because consumers think they need discs. If you need more braking power, throw some v-brakes on and you are ready.

Here's an example:
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FBGUANT/guerciotti-antares-cross-bike

Be careful with sizing as a proper CX bike has a high bottom bracket. If it has a 52cm seat tube, it may fit like a 54. So, watch the standover spec.

Good luck and have fun.

I like his advice - so second that.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
What's the difference between cantilevers and V brakes :confused:

Been offered a Boardman CX bike which was bought from Halfords 5 months ago, the chap really wanted a road bike in our village and up for grades for sub 500 is worth a punt or walk away because there's a lot chatter advising steer clear of Halfords bikes and there set up.

da1esman said:

Been offered a Boardman CX bike which was bought from Halfords 5 months ago, the chap really wanted a road bike in our village and up for grades for sub 500 is worth a punt or walk away because there's a lot chatter advising steer clear of Halfords bikes and there set up.

The Boardman bikes are excellent, some the of welds on the aluminium are ridiculously nice, the problem is the build quality from Halfords is massively variable. Some can be good, some can be ok, most are terrible because they are built by kids doing Saturday jobs or people who have pretty much no training.

So, it's worth checking the bike over for things like under and overtightened bolts, poorly aligned brakes, loose headset etc. If you are good with a wrench then you can do it yourself, loads of videos online and it's really not that difficult. Make sure you're getting it at a good discount and remember, it's not just the bike you'll need. You'll need clothing, pedals (if he keeps them) shoes, bidons, tools, tubes, puncture repair kit, pump, chain cleaner and lube etc. etc. You can build it up over time but having everything you need to solve the basic problems you encounter, particularly on a cyclocross bike, is a good idea.

One thing, are you sure you want a cyclocross bike? I have friends who bought them and they are all now looking to get road bikes. Are you planning to race?

This could be worth considering. I was very close to buying one before I got my Genesis:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade

I would pay the extra for the hope hoops, get it in black grape and ask them to order the wheels with purple hubs :cool:

It's a bit of a do everything bike, hence the "lifestyle" tag. It'll do road, trails, cyclocross, touring and just heading down to the shops. The only reason I didn't get one is I was given a ridiculously good deal on a Genesis Volare 10, otherwise I'd have one behind me at my desk now.

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
King Boonen said:
One thing, are you sure you want a cyclocross bike? I have friends who bought them and they are all now looking to get road bikes. Are you planning to race?

This could be worth considering. I was very close to buying one before I got my Genesis:

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/escapade

I would pay the extra for the hope hoops, get it in black grape and ask them to order the wheels with purple hubs :cool:

It's a bit of a do everything bike, hence the "lifestyle" tag. It'll do road, trails, cyclocross, touring and just heading down to the shops. The only reason I didn't get one is I was given a ridiculously good deal on a Genesis Volare 10, otherwise I'd have one behind me at my desk now.

I already ride steel I have a 531c road bike I had for 30 years which I have just refurbished with a new paint job and a full compag record group set. This has done time trials and raced over the years and is now my daily bike to commute and I love the feel of steel.

Wanting to compete in veteran race's and also do these X challenge sportive's, I used to ride cx in my teens back in the 70's.

Been riding mtb in my area of Wensleydale/Swaledale for about five years, and I was shown up about a month ago by two lads on Genesis bikes in the woods above Hawes, they let me have a go on one. Faster lighter and more agile than my heavy MTB.

I have seen the Cotic bikes up at the Reeth MTB centre and was impressed.

Planning to be at the race meeting on the 14th in Northallerton to see what's what.

da1esman said:
I already ride steel I have a 531c road bike I had for 30 years which I have just refurbished with a new paint job and a full compag record group set. This has done time trials and raced over the years and is now my daily bike to commute and I love the feel of steel.

Wanting to compete in veteran race's and also do these X challenge sportive's, I used to ride cx in my teens back in the 70's.

Been riding mtb in my area of Wensleydale/Swaledale for about five years, and I was shown up about a month ago by two lads on Genesis bikes in the woods above Hawes, they let me have a go on one. Faster lighter and more agile than my heavy MTB.

I have seen the Cotic bikes up at the Reeth MTB centre and was impressed.

Planning to be at the race meeting on the 14th in Northallerton to see what's what.

I only ride steel, I much prefer it to the carbon bikes I've tried and that includes top end Pinarellos, Giants, Treks, some running electronic shifting. Steel and mechanical for me.

A lad I know who races cyclocross has just ordered a Genesis Croix De Fer based on my Volare. He has a carbon Ridley for races but will be using the Genesis as a back up in the pits and a training bike. It's a very popular bike and if you are lucky you might find one under £1000 as the new models will be released very soon. Find a Genesis dealer and ask them, the guy I went to didn't have any in his shop, phoned the Genesis sales guy and got me the Volare 10 with £500 off! Genesis are a very good brand and despite being small and British you do get value for money, just have a look at the prices of their new carbon bikes. They do a CX specific bike which could be worth a look, the Vapour:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adventure/cyclocross/vapour

Aluminium frame but still a good spec for the money and well designed.

I ride a Cotic BFe when I go mountain biking. I love it. However, the Escapade is not a race bike, it's relaxed and if you want to go fast I think you'll find it wanting. Other than that it's a great bike and Cy knows how to design a frame.

If you're racing/riding in the UK through the winter discs are probably a must have to be honest.

da1esman said:

Look at the pictures, don't read the comments.

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/q...rake-vs-center-pull-cantilevers-pros-and-cons

Direct pull is the same as v-brake. V-brakes generate more braking power than cantilevers. The brake cable travel is different though, so there's an adapter out there to sort it all out for common brifters.

Cantilevers are okay. They generate a bit more power than a good set of road calipers.

More braking power sounds good if you are thinking about bikes like a car. The reality is on a bicycle cantilevers are sufficient. V-brakes have plenty of power. Discs are overkill.

Buying lightly used is a great option if you can evaluate bikes well. Again, having the very latest and greatest doesn't make a huge difference. Strong legs/back sure make a big difference. Light wheels help a bit.

da1esman said:
That Genesis is on my wish list for 2015.

Been able to pick up a second hand CX Cannondale and hoping to race as a veteran on the 14th.

Fair warning, the new Volare 10 will not be 853, it's a standard cro-mo. Genesis are releasing their first ever carbon range very soon, they are racing on them at the Tour Of Britain at the moment.

It also won't have the Reynoldsesque paint-job.

You have to go up to a Volare 40 to get 853 (running Campag Athena), Volare 30 for 105 (Reynolds 725).

This years bike is still available, and better spec'd. I also got it for £1200 instead of £1700 :D

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Went to the local event today and enjoyed the event although I did not compete, the lads after the event gave me lots advice and rode the track with me after the event.

Thanks to the South Yorks girls and lads.