• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 197 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
People unironically arguing an injury that sent a rider to ICU isnt worse than hand injury that got surgery that same day and where the rider was out of hospital 24h later
Yes, thats indeed stupid. Initially communication was its only the ribs (and at that point it looked comparable/good) but pneumothorax + ICU made it pretty clear that this was way more serious than a wrist fracture.

Maxtin visited Vingegaard after his collarbone operation:oops: That is hilarious :oops:
According to Maxtin, Vingegaard did not seem optimistic. That is ofc 3 weeks ago, but still.

Not being able to breathe properly is nothing to mess with. Hopefully the time off isn't too much longer or his necessary recovery time will reflect that. At least it's not a bio-mechanical issue from what little news we get.

Reactions: Sandisfan
At Visma-Lease a Bike, it is uncertain whether defending champion Jonas Vingegaard will be ready for the Tour and if so at what percentage of his capabilities. The Dane is not giving up yet, but for now it seems more likely that Vingegaard skips the Tour than starts.

If Vingegaard misses the Tour then it is likely that WvA will start and get a free role.

If Vingegaard misses the Tour then it is likely that WvA will start and get a free role.
Chaos :sweatsmile: Would be fun to see.

However the GC would be poorer for it. Though depending how Pog pulls up from the giro it could be fairly open.

Obviously if Vingegaard doesn't recover in time for the Tour then Van Aert has to ride, Visma can't afford to get have their two star riders skipping the most important race in the calendar.

From a Van Aert perspective this would actually be a great chance to get an almost perfect preparation for the Olympics, as long as he doesn't try to win half the stages or goes for green jersey.

He can still go to the Tour, it’s not ruled out.

He can still go to the Tour, it’s not ruled out.
Dauphiné ruled out, no surprise.

Other than that, the news are "no news".

Still hasnt ridden his bike.

The implication is basically theyre considering winging the Tour completely, with the hopium being based on that in 2021 he was *** in the Dauphine until he came good on the last day

Were more than a month after the crash, the detraining should be serious if were talking about the Tour

Still hasnt ridden his bike.

The implication is basically theyre considering winging the Tour completely, with the hopium being based on that in 2021 he was *** in the Dauphine until he came good on the last day

Were more than a month after the crash, the detraining should be serious if were talking about the Tour
If he still hasn't ridden his bike, they would already ruled him out for the Tour.

Certainly he is already training in the turbo trainer.

IMO it's sort of depressing for the sport to see Visma (in this instance Zeeman) putting pressure on his star rider to heal in time for the TdF.

Chris Horner uploaded a video a few weeks ago in which he basically said the stars of pro cycling are 'encouraged' to heal faster than the rest. It's about money & results. That Zeeman interview feeds right into that same dynamic in which Vingegaard is basically being monitored daily with one goal, i.e. making the TdF in good enough shape to compete for the win.

Maybe it's just me but I think the only focus they should have is building him back properly, step by step, without the pressure of being in top shape in 8 weeks time.

IMO it's sort of depressing for the sport to see Visma (in this instance Zeeman) putting pressure on his star rider to heal in time for the TdF.

Chris Horner uploaded a video a few weeks ago in which he basically said the stars of pro cycling are 'encouraged' to heal faster than the rest. It's about money & results. That Zeeman interview feeds right into that same dynamic in which Vingegaard is basically being monitored daily with one goal, i.e. making the TdF in good enough shape to compete for the win.

Maybe it's just me but I think the only focus they should have is building him back properly, step by step, without the pressure of being in top shape in 8 weeks time.
He's a pro, of course he should be pressured to perform.

Reactions: Offline
Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Sander Kleikers reveals more than the Zeeman:

- I can't say how far he is from being back on the bike. We will report when there is new information to share with you. I can say that he is doing well and that he is recovering very well. That's why the Tour de France is a possibility, even though many said it wasn't.
- There have been no setbacks since he left the hospital in Spain. Everything is going according to plan. We hope to make plans soon, but as I said, the Tour de France is eight weeks away, so will give Jonas and the team some time to make the best decision for him and his ambitions.

• Wow
Reactions: noob

- I can't say how far he is from being back on the bike. We will report when there is new information to share with you. I can say that he is doing well and that he is recovering very well. That's why the Tour de France is a possibility, even though many said it wasn't.
- There have been no setbacks since he left the hospital in Spain. Everything is going according to plan. We hope to make plans soon, but as I said, the Tour de France is eight weeks away, so will give Jonas and the team some time to make the best decision for him and his ambitions.
He will be at the Tour. They sound a lot optimistic.

"Finally, Sander Kleikers is asked where the Dane is at the moment.

But this is where the communications manager intervenes.

- There are stories that he is in either Switzerland, France, Italy or Denmark, but it is not something we talk about because it is private, and Jonas wants it to be private, which we naturally respect."

LMAO.

• Wow

- There are stories that he is in either Switzerland, France, Italy or Denmark, but it is not something we talk about because it is private, and Jonas wants it to be private, which we naturally respect."

LMAO.
I'm sure WADA knows Jonas whereabouts. Athletes must say where they are at anytime.

LMAO.
He should just say he‘s in Mexico to avoid people bothering him. Works every time

LMAO.
He's in Okinawa.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hniuEXezlBI

Reactions: Gigs_98 and Froome

A role to support Jorgenson first, himself second. He's still on the mend from his crash. Remember that?

If he still hasn't ridden his bike, they would already ruled him out for the Tour.

Certainly he is already training in the turbo trainer.
Again, if breathing heavily affects his recovery he wouldn't be doing anything aside from low-stress mobility in rehab. Considering the gradual loss of both fitness and muscle tone, he may end up writing off serious competition for the entire year. He's a rare and expensive commodity and whether JV likes it or not; they can't force him to jeopardize his career. Both Jonas and JV no doubt have insurance for this possibility so it's not just about current value and money. We'd all love to see that injury resurrection but you can't force this sort of recovery.
Johan Musseuw used alot of means for his most dramatic, victorious return at Paris Roubaix relatively quickly after his leg injury. None of his prescriptions apply to Jonas' case and we may be looking into time frames like Remco endured. Hope not.

• Sad