• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jonathan Milan is the new sprint superstar

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
From what I've herd, Cipollini never finished the Tour, so I'm not sure he's kind of rider a young aspiring rider should strive to emulate.
(And that's not even touching upon the recent issues involving Cipollini...)

Meanwhile, unless something drastic happens, I'd say the Italian Team Pursuit are probably guaranteed to get at least silver at the Olympics.
Cipollini was the greatest sprinter to have lit up the long, boring flat stages of the Tour and paved the way for Cavendish and others. When the mountains came he got off, but they didn't call him the Lion King for nothing. Becoming the best sprinter in the world at the Tour, far exceeds Olympic pursuit victory. It's a no brainer as they say.

Sure, but Philipsen is king at the moment, so Milan has te beat him there in the Tour.
Yeah but you said best sprinters (plural), which isn't really true. The best sprinter is at the Tour, but most of the other quickest sprinters are at the Giro, so Milan has basically established himself as the 2nd best itw (I think Merlier is as fast as Milan, but I also think he is as fast as Philipsen in a flat one day race, e.g.).

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm a bit biased because I've been bigging up/rating Milan since the european individual pursuit silver he won in 2020, but his transition has really impressed me. I think his inexperience on the road tells at times, but it's improving rapidly – looking at his 2024 sprints vs 2023 is like two totally different people, last year he was coming from 15th wheel to 2nd and now his positioning is perfect.

I don't necessarily think he's as badly suited to Sanremo as others – he is similar to Greipel in some ways and he never did well over the Poggio, but Milan is an individual pursuit silver medallist and team pursuit olympics champion. The Poggio is what, just under six minutes? While he won't he able to keep up with Pogacar or MvdP I personally don't see why he couldn't be in a second group like the one we saw this year. RVV he'll never get more than a top ten/fifteen, GW he can clearly win (3rd in the bunch sprint after folloeing VdP on the Kemmelberg and soloing for 25km), and Roubaix is a ?. He's a sprinter first and foremost, but he likes the classics and is versatile enough to at the minimum be an extremely useful teammate.

Not in cycling! Don't think of other sports. Until 92 Olympic cyclists were amateurs. And track racing can't be compared to the Tour de France, sorry.

If he never wins a Tour stage, then I agree, but if he doesn't get near Merckx and Cav's total of stage wins or Sagan's green jersey tally, then the stages he could potentially win this year won't matter much once his career is over, as long he wins some in the future. Also he's been committed to the track for years, so suddenly giving up on that a few months before a major goal would be weird.

And no matter Milan's current level, Pedersen has a higher status within the team and hasn't given them any reason not to trust him to deliver results once again. It will probably be different next year though.

If he never wins a Tour stage, then I agree, but if he doesn't get near Merckx and Cav's total of stage wins or Sagan's green jersey tally, then the stages he could potentially win this year won't matter much once his career is over, as long he wins some in the future. Also he's been committed to the track for years, so suddenly giving up on that a few months before a major goal would be weird.

And no matter Milan's current level, Pedersen has a higher status within the team and hasn't given them any reason not to trust him to deliver results once again. It will probably be different next year though.
This is a level-headed argument and, in principle, I agree. All I'm saying is that Milan's level seems to be such that now is the time to see if he can become one of those generational sprinters of the sport. It's a window that doesn't remain open forever.