• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España La Vuelta Femenina 2024 (April 28th-May 5th)

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
COMMUNIQUE OF THE COMMISSAIRES’ PANEL 8

Art. 2.12.007/4.12

Non compliance with the article 2.3.025 by a team assisting during feeding DD/DS ZINI, Walter (10002388406) BPK. Fine of CHF 100.

Andrea Alzate, dorsal 171
soft head trauma, whiplash that requires further imaging and immobilisation with collar. Taken in ambulance to Hospital of Guadalajara.

Any further news on Alzate? doesn't sound good.

I wasn't watching when the crash happened, so I don't know if it happened on camera or at all for that matter. But she did suffer a crash on stage 6 which bruised her ribs, and that seems to have been the main reason for her time loss yesterday.
The crash itself was not picked up but the fact she had crashed was; it looked fairly innocuous and routine from what we saw as she was already up and moving by the time the cameras picked it up, but obviously hard to tell without seeing the incident itself.

However, it was not long after the chase started to be on in earnest, so being dropped from group 2 on the road and already being banged up from the previous crash she probably eased up rather than destroy herself in a futile attempt to get back.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
I really like using Valdesquí after Morcuera and Cotos as a finish, but seriously Morcuera is the harder climb of the two and isn't HC even in women's cycling.

My idea for use of it would be Navacerrada S - Fuente de la Reina - Navacerrada N - Morcuera - Cotos - Valdesquí, but that would need to start somewhere like Collado Villalba which wouldn't have been achievable here.

A real pity for Muzic that the course didn't have another multi-climb stage as she could have extracted more from this form if it did. Vollering made sure she didn't get pipped this time, but Évita was clearly the #2 climber in the race. Also nice to see Rooijakkers up in the GC top 10, and Riejanne Markus with arguably her best climbing performance yet. She's become a credible GC rider lately, but this is her best result to date in the mountains I'd say, as she still lost 3 minutes with her Lagos de Covadonga top 10 last year.

Reactions: JosefK and Didinho
A real pity for Muzic that the course didn't have another multi-climb stage as she could have extracted more from this form if it did. Vollering made sure she didn't get pipped this time, but Évita was clearly the #2 climber in the race. Also nice to see Rooijakkers up in the GC top 10, and Riejanne Markus with arguably her best climbing performance yet. She's become a credible GC rider lately, but this is her best result to date in the mountains I'd say, as she still lost 3 minutes with her Lagos de Covadonga top 10 last year.

I have the opposite view on Music - In three uphill finishes she sat on without contributing - One was with Gigante in a battle for 4th and 5th, sat on Vollering on the stage she won and sat on Markus today - Other riders will notice this and refuse to pull in the future.

I have the opposite view on Music - In three uphill finishes she sat on without contributing - One was with Gigante in a battle for 4th and 5th, sat on Vollering on the stage she won and sat on Markus today - Other riders will notice this and refuse to pull in the future.
She also has to take the initiative more if she wants to maximise her form, this much is true. But then, other than that bottom end top 10 in the Giro in 2020 after winning from the break in the final stage, she has largely been a domestique in the biggest races and so just proving she can do it against a top field (or at least most of one, seeing as obviously there's no Kopecky, Persico, Chabbey or Moolman-Pasio who are strong climbers, Uttrup who she might have been asked to domestique for, Lippert arrived coming off injury and Niewiadoma, Realini and (another teammate) Cavalli all left the race injured.

Well a bit predictable in the end, but nice win for Vollering. I am hoping in the future we have multiple riders who can really contend for the GC in these races.

GM0V-HAXQAA6hEW

Last edited:
Reactions: JosefK