• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mixed Martial Arts

Page 16 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The plot thickens.

I found out that Dana DID attend Wrestlemania in New Orleans in support of Ronda Rousey. Las week, BTW, DW said Brock Lesnar was still under contract to the UFC and they're looking at the Miocic-va-Cormier winner (which means Miocic) for Lesnar's next fight.

And it looks like Rose Namajunas is fo realz. Thug controlled the ring and the pace of the fight for nearly the entire 25 minutes. And when it was done, Joanna's face looked like she'd used it to stop a runaway locomotive. By comparison, Namajuna's face looked like she'd just finished a Vogue cover shoot. On the bright side, Jklmnbhjklmnb's acting performance when they announced the decision bodes well for her future in the WWE.

I haven't watched it yet but R3's reviews at Wrestlemania generally are quite good.

And Dana's stance on McGregor seems already to be softening.

Max Holloway is claiming the doctors pulled him from the UFC 223 fight just because they didn't like the way he looked. He says they'd been checking on him daily, including checking his vitals, in the days before the weigh-in, knowing he was undergoing weight-cutting all the while. They came to check on him the morning of the weigh-in and learning he still had a couple more pounds to go, and without even bothering to check his vitals, they DQ'd him.

Max was very conciliatory in his statement, even complimentary of the medical staff. The thing is, I don't know their protocol for making a statement to the press. I know USADA never comments on their findings unless the fighter makes a statement first, and especially if the fighter tries to weasel out of a positive by impugning the test. And this definitely is a matter of the fighter's right to medical privacy, so I don't know if they could make a statement, even if the fighter lied about why they'd DQ'd him. But I have a hard time swallowing the "they didn't like the way I looked" explanation.

Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!

Covington? Interim champ, but can he become the champ?

Is Holm back in the mix? At 135, 145, both?

Re:

jmdirt said:
Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!...
Romero claims he missed it because a fight commissioner arbitrarily reduced his two-hour mulligan to just one hour. The two-hour mulligan is always taken with medical supervision, and the doctors were fine with him taking the full two hours, but the commissioner overruled them.

Re: Re:

StyrbjornSterki said:
jmdirt said:
Romero missed wight again. He missed it for two reason: he has to cut 45-55 lbs, and he is max *CLINIC*. Actually its both amazing and dangerous that he can get so close to 155 from 200+. I know that he isn't doing the entire load at cut time, but his walking weight is 200+, I've even read as much as 220-225!...
Romero claims he missed it because a fight commissioner arbitrarily reduced his two-hour mulligan to just one hour. The two-hour mulligan is always taken with medical supervision, and the doctors were fine with him taking the full two hours, but the commissioner overruled them.
Yah, I saw Romero say that. Really the issue is that a 200+ lb man shouldn't be fighting at 155.

jmdirt said:
Yah, I saw Romero say that. Really the issue is that a 200+ lb man shouldn't be fighting at 155.
I'm in complete agreement with that but you an I disagree about how to do it. Rather than check the fighters weights at random between fights, I think they should just weigh them twice, once the day before (as is the current practice) to satisy the promoters and the bookies, and again before they're allowed the the locker room before the fight. Because you can't stay dehydrated for a full day (or longer) and still be an effective fighter.

The traditional system in essence rewards cheating.

StyrbjornSterki said:
jmdirt said:
I'm in complete agreement with that but you an I disagree about how to do it. Rather than check the fighters weights at random between fights, I think they should just weigh them twice, once the day before (as is the current practice) to satisy the promoters and the bookies, and again before they're allowed the the locker room before the fight. Because you can't stay dehydrated for a full day (or longer) and still be an effective fighter.

The traditional system in essence rewards cheating.
I am all for day of fight weigh in.

Re:

jmdirt said:
Big heavy weight fight tonight...who ya got?
Another good heavy weight fight on the card too.
Some other fights on the card that could be good as well.
Holloway is out for concussion.

EDIT: :surprised:

I was waiting for Vince McMahon to burst into the octagon right behind Lesnar.

GSP quoted on MMA Junkie:

“(Sonnen) proposed to do a weigh-in the day of the fight,” St-Pierre said during a news conference in Australia that was captured by Submission Radio. “So what he proposes, basically – we have weigh-in the night before the fight, like we normally do. But now, because the weigh-in is in the morning, people say, ‘Oh, I have more time to recuperate,’ so they try to cut more weight.

“And it’s sad to say, but sometimes I’m thinking, ‘Are we going to wait (for) someone (to) die out there to change things?’ I mean, it’s ridiculous. So what Chael’s proposed is very smart.”

Nobody listened to GSP about PEDs so I doubt this recommendation will fare any better.

Unless you were like me and got drunk and passed out while bowling with some oddly dressed gents in the mountains only to awake 20 days later, you probably already know that now almost two weeks ago, Jon "Bones" Jones got a 15-month suspension for his latest failed PEDs control.

USADA's statement said Jones bore “some degree of fault” for the banned product he tested positive for, but “the violation was not intended nor could it have enhanced” his performance. If 15 months seems lenient for a second offence, in the most part that's because Jones' legal representatives had negotiated a 30-month reduction in his sentence even before arbitration began in return for “delivery of substantial assistance” of information on another fighter's doping.

So a potential 48-months (the maximum possible short of a lifetime ban) became 18 months because Jones groused on another fighter. And the 'unintentional' nature of his offence got 18 reduced to 15.

The suspension began retroactively, as most do, and Bones is eligible to fight again on the 28th of this month. And DW is frothing at the mouth to get Jones in the ring with Brock Lesnar (whose PEDs suspension also has expired).

Nothing about this makes sense. Turinabol is an old, extremely powerful and highly-detectable AAS. Taking it without a proved 100% effective plan of masking or adulteration would be monumentally stupid. Then again, it's not like Jones hasn't repeatedly proved himself capable of the monumentally stupid.

I was curious if Turinabol was even widely available any more, and if so, how expensive it was. So I inquired to some acquaintances who are hard-core bodybuilders and weight lifters (I also should have asked if it could be masked but failed to). And they directed me to a website they buy some of their black market steroids from. It's openly on the Internet, not the "dark web," and its web servers (and email servers) are located in Panama (according to GeoTool). The trick is, you have to pay in crypto-currency, after which their anonymous agent posts the drugs to you.

On this website, Turinabol goes for about two Euro per gram. A more commonplace medical-grade AAS, like Testosterone Cypionate, which is commonly used in legitimate male hormone replacement therapy, is only 12 Euro cents per gram, 6 cents on the Euro of Turinabol's cost.

So how stupid would the manufacturer of Jones' supplements had to have been to waste such an expensive PED in an inadvertently-contaminated product? Not to mention the potential blowback from customers who, like Jones, test positive on account of their supposedly steroid-free supplements.

Unless they did it deliberately and it is marketed as just that.

I am convinced there are (or at least have been) supplement manufacturers in Brazil that made contaminated supplements to order specifically for the benefit of athletes who had failed a PEDs control and needed a scapegoat. But Brazil (like Spain) is the Twilight Zone of PEDs enforcement. Presuming Jones sourced his supplements from the USA, I would expect that such a supplement company would get shut down in short order by USADA and the American police for repeat violations.

On the other hand, if there's a profit to be made, there is someone who will take the risk.

Daniel Cormier, who now holds both the HW and LHW belts in the UFC (the only other dual champion was Connor McGreggor) states that he will never fight Jones again. Which begs the question, what happens if/when Jones becomes the #1 contender?

Re:

kingjr said:
That was one of the best f*cking things I've seen on TV ever. McGregor got what he asked for, end of story. Wouldn't have minded seeing it go further than it did after the bell...
How can you possibly make your living in professional MMA and still have such a miserable excuse for a ground game? Granted, Nurmagomedov's is world-class, but even Nate Diaz manhandled him on the mat. Does he even bother to train defence? But chapeau to him for coming so far on so little skill.

As for the extracurriulars after, I think it would have been much less newsworthy if not for the overreaction of all the drunken McGregor fans in the grandstands who refused to accept that their boy just got mauled. But, hey, that Vegas, innit?

StyrbjornSterki said:
kingjr said:
That was one of the best f*cking things I've seen on TV ever. McGregor got what he asked for, end of story. Wouldn't have minded seeing it go further than it did after the bell...
How can you possibly make your living in professional MMA and still have such a miserable excuse for a ground game? Granted, Nurmagomedov's is world-class, but even Nate Diaz manhandled him on the mat. Does he even bother to train defence? But chapeau to him for coming so far on so little skill.

As for the extracurriulars after, I think it would have been much less newsworthy if not for the overreaction of all the drunken McGregor fans in the grandstands who refused to accept that their boy just got mauled. But, hey, that Vegas, innit?
McGregor apparently hit one of Khabib's guys first, and only after that they ganged up on him.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1048831553629970433

kingjr said:
StyrbjornSterki said:
kingjr said:

McGregor apparently hit one of Khabib's guys first, and only after that they ganged up on him.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1048831553629970433
I had my doubts about your reply to my post, thanks for making things clear.

Apparently Nurmagomedov's father is old school. He remarked that whatever the UFC did to him would pale next to the punishment he had in store for his son when he came home to Russia. He said there was no excuse for bringing violence against the "civilians" outside of the cage.

Then Khabib said he fears his father's punishment more than the NSAC's and UFC's.

So Putin tweeted that Papa should not be too hard on the boy.

Because apparently they're all old acquaintances.

On a lighter note, the third (or is it the fourth?) comeback of John 'Bones' Jones begins December 29 at UFC 232 in a rematch against Alexander Gustaffson.