• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Moderation

Page 27 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dont know what happened, in this case, but the mods probably had good reason for it as they have most times they actually go as far as banning someone. No matter who they are.

It is not like banning is the first action, unless it is something severe that has to be adressed immediately. They probably also have to take into account repeated behavior, in some instances.

All in all, they do a great job on here as far as I am concerned. There are other places where people are banned way more frequently than on here. Most times it seems to be within good reason on here.

Yes, it's long been shown that communities with no consequences work really well. :rolleyes:

But this excessive banning isn't the way either.
And, yes. It is excessive! We got multiple bans in a year around here...

I think we should just all remember this rule:

• Utilize “MRI” for Most Respectful Interpretation of a fellow member’s intent when reading their posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tricycle Rider
But this excessive banning isn't the way either.
And, yes. It is excessive! We got multiple bans in a year around here...
I find it weird that someone could have such consistently strong opinions on what constitutes "excessive" banning. Seeing as we have no real idea what occurred, other than the posts which remain visible on the forum. Or in some cases, later one-sided reports (not from the mods) of what happened.

I can assure you as a former mod on several sites, what you see is only a fraction of what occurs and what goes into determining whether a ban is warranted. I can also assure you the number of banned users who think they deserved it and admit it is in the < 10% range. So self-reporting of the incident is almost always so biased as to be pointless.

This complaint mostly reads as "Someone I like got banned so I'm gonna complain". Not particularly compelling to my point of view. YMMV.

For an oft-banned forumite, the leash is gonna be short. Naturally. Maybe stop the behavior that gets one continually banned? No? Pretty freaking simple.

Anyway. My comments were in response to your advocating for mods who "never ban" anyone. Which is untenable in my experience.

I find it weird that someone could have such strong opinions on what constitutes "excessive" banning. Seeing as we have no real idea what occurred, other than the posts on the forum. Or in some cases, later one-sided reports (not from the mods) of what happened.

Excessive = a lot of bans are happening. Again; multiple bans in a year... quite a lot. There are fora where it's several years between bans...

For the record, I don't particularily like Logic, I don't particularily dislike him either. We agree about some things, and disagree about others...

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Excessive = a lot of bans are happening. Again; multiple bans in a year... quite a lot. There are fora where it's several years between bans...

For the record, I don't particularily like Logic, I don't particularily dislike him either. We agree about some things, and disagree about others...
I would never presume to know what an "excessive" number of bans might be since I haven't a clue what's driving them. What's "a lot"? And multiple a YEAR sounds incredibly restrained, depending on what is meant by "multiple". 3? 5? 30? Is someone keeping a record? Multiple bans of the same poster? Multiple different posters?

You speak in totally subjective, vague terms, and with such a lack of specificity...yet you seem to have such strong convictions. I find it very odd. Just a totally different mindset, so I guess there isn't a point in discussing these things.

Personally I would need to know a LOT more to have a strong opinion one way or another.

I would never presume to know what an "excessive" number of bans might be since I haven't a clue what's driving them. What's "a lot"? And multiple a YEAR sounds incredibly restrained, depending on what is meant by "multiple". 3? 5? 30? Is someone keeping a record? Multiple bans of the same poster? Multiple different posters?

Multiple bans a year - whether it's 3 or 30 - is still more than several years between bans...

But maybe all the laughing at serious injuries, or explicit content, or whatever bannable offense there might be, just seem to happen when I'm asleep... because they sure never happen when I see it...

Multiple bans a year - whether it's 3 or 30 - is still more than several years between bans...
It is.

In what way is that an argument for what constitutes the correct number of bans? It isn't one.

"Multiple" is a totally vague and completely arbitrary number tied to nothing but your personal point of view, rather than the goals of the site. Surely you can see that?

Moderation exists for a reason. What's that reason? What are the goals of moderation? Generally, the goal is to keep the level of conversation at a certain quality level, because that's what builds and maintains an active and thriving community. This isn't 4chan. Clearly the management of this site wants to keep this as a place where opinions can flow freely, without constant bickering, personal attacks, off-topic rambling, or other behaviors which detract from the enjoyment of the site for the greatest number of people.

When long personal disputes dominate threads, people click out. They stop posting. It's tiresome.

Moderation follows site goals. "Never banning anyone" would remove an effective lever for keeping the content at a certain quality bar. It makes no sense given the (presumed) goals of moderation.

Last edited:

But maybe all the laughing at serious injuries, or explicit content, or whatever bannable offense there might be, just seem to happen when I'm asleep... because they sure never happen when I see it...
Are 2 bans a year a good number? Do you volunteer to be banned so this year's quota is filled?

Pretty sure I averaged over 30 bans a year on account of Ray J Willings, his wife and all their accounts alone
This read like a poster for a bounty on a killer from an old western movie.

"Red Rick Jr is wanted for banning 30 accounts in his past and multiple closed topics. Anyone know his whereabouts or what thread he might shoot up next will receive a prize of 10 000 points to their reaction score."

• Haha
Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93

The problem is that the number of bans is not just contingent on the attitudes of the moderators but also the behaviour of the posters as well. It's not a one-sided thing. The number of bans might go up because of stricter moderation... but it also might go up because of the behaviour of posters deteriorating.

And yes, the two things heavily influence one another.

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
On the other hand, most forums don’t allow discussion of moderation (and enforce it) nor do they make bans public. They don’t put badges on someone’s avatar saying they’re banned.

I think all of those functions on this site are somewhat debatable in terms of overall value to the site and traffic. I like the transparency, but those functions also create some amount of discord, which is in my experience quite avoidable and not really missed on other forums.

It’s quite unlikely anyone actually knows what the ban frequency is on another forum which is less transparent. People certainly may notice if a prominent and/or prolific poster is banned, but that’s about it.