• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

National Football League

Page 741 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stroud played like a long term pro and didn't seem to get flustered.
For the fans and impatient owners: you just hired the best young player that could dish out and/or take a hit from the biggest guy on the other team. In week One that same guy is going to face 6, bigger/badder versions of his nightmare.
The Owner should wrap his fantasy of instant gratification with the nightmare of his soon-to-be ex wife being represented by his attorney. The same attorney that crafted the prenup....The rookies have that nightmare period before they toughen up and don't see the ghosts of the press and foaming fans each night.
That was what a lot of people were impressed about with Purdy as well from day one. The long college career against one season in college for Lance couldn't have been more apparent...........needless to say the 49ers were not going to move up in the first round in this draft................

Good posts.

Blank is also 82 years old. He has to know the End is near, and the Lord will soon be drafting him. So he's going to be desperate to do something, anything, while he's still on this planet.

I think you're pretty much right. Everything you wrote.

As I said before, I can certainly see a point where Cousins doesn't play well, Penix does, and the Falcons rip off the bandaid. If the Broncos could do it with Wilson (which was a far more binding situation, and someone they gave up far more for), the Falcons can certainly do it with Cousins.

We also have to assume Penix can stay healthy, and they find a solid vet (at $10m a year, not $40m) to back him up.
Time to ring up Vegas for a dose of the 'Stache. Minshew plays...

And don't forget that Luck & Big Ben also made things worse for rookies back then as well. Luck started day-1 & lead Indy to a 11-5 record, division title & playoff berth.
RGIII that year too. People often remember his horrific knee injury that ruined his career, but he was lights out stellar, and ROY for Washington, taking them into the playoffs too.
...These 1st rounders are being paid very good rookie contracts with insane signing bonuses of $20m plus! Free $$$ to do what they want with whether they succeed or not...
True! Recall when Sam Bradford and Jamarcus Russell got such absurd contracts they changed the CBA? Well, the outlandish total number hasn't caught up to those days, the these signing bonuses are returning us to the same level of absurdity.

As to the average American, another reason to watch and support the UFL. Average player will make about $65k this entire season. League MVP might make $85k.

Reactions: Nomad and jmdirt
View: https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1785717638858940626

WTH? There are pro-cyclists bigger than him. Lol. And he hardly played at Alabama State. He's got blazing speed (4.35) & was a track man in HS running a 10.76 100m - but that's about it.

So, I guess the Broncos have nothing to lose by bringing him into camp & see what he can do. But when they go to full contact drills, I hope they have the medical staff standing close by because he could literally get killed out there.

Last edited:
WTH? There are pro-cyclists bigger than him.
That is what I weighed in high school, at around 5'9", and I was skinny.

Just to give one a comparison, Tyreek Hill is kind of little, and he's 5'10", and 191lbs. Devin Hester about the same.
Steeler's decline the fifth year option for Najee Harris. Warren has been doing a good job as the alt RB.
That's now 97% of all RBs now will operate in their career. Play on a rookie contract, hope to make enough of a splash (and stay healthy) to get some sort of deal for another couple years at a vet level. All while working on your receiving and blocking skills, because that will keep you in the NFL longer than running with the ball. In fact, if I were a RB coming out of college when I interview with NFL teams I'd be constantly telling them I see myself as a receiving RB, and can easily line up in the slot or wide (even if there is no tape of me doing this. I'd say we did it a lot in scrimmage, it just didn't happen enough in games), and have thought of converting to slot receiver. I'd then tell them my idol is Marshall Faulk. That's who I pattern my playing after.

Unless you are built like Derrick Henry, and run like him, your career as a running RB isn't likely to last long.
Same goes for Trey Lance at the Cowboys which was no surprise. Lance's future is anyone's guess.
Not surprised at all here. There is no way they were going to pay him $22m, which was baked into his contract because he was (grossly over)drafted so high. Also, the fact that the Cowboys could have got rid of Cooper Rush, but instead extended him says a lot. We will get a good look at Lance in the preseason though, and at age 25 this may be his last chance to really make an impression on someone. The Cowboys will be wanting to get a better look at him, obviously, but he has to look like a starting NFL quarterback, or he runs the risk of getting kicked around NFL teams as a back-up, or in the UFL in a couple years.

Speaking of the UFL, if you haven't watched a game, but want to, set your calendar for May 11th. That's when the two best teams in the league clash. St. Louis Battlehawks against the Birmingham Stallions. The Stallions are unbeaten, and haven't lost in a year, plus were two-time USFL champions. But St. Louis has won four games in a row, against a tougher schedule. St. Louis has the best offense in the UFL, and Birmingham the best defense.

Speaking of the UFL, if you haven't watched a game, but want to, set your calendar for May 11th. That's when the two best teams in the league clash. St. Louis Battlehawks against the Birmingham Stallions. The Stallions are unbeaten, and haven't lost in a year, plus were two-time USFL champions. But St. Louis has won four games in a row, against a tougher schedule. St. Louis has the best offense in the UFL, and Birmingham the best defense.
Lance needs a season in the UFL where he can get continuous game time instead of just hanging around waiting for injuries that may or may not happen.

That's now 97% of all RBs now will operate in their career. Play on a rookie contract, hope to make enough of a splash (and stay healthy) to get some sort of deal for another couple years at a vet level. All while working on your receiving and blocking skills, because that will keep you in the NFL longer than running with the ball. In fact, if I were a RB coming out of college when I interview with NFL teams I'd be constantly telling them I see myself as a receiving RB, and can easily line up in the slot or wide (even if there is no tape of me doing this. I'd say we did it a lot in scrimmage, it just didn't happen enough in games), and have thought of converting to slot receiver. I'd then tell them my idol is Marshall Faulk. That's who I pattern my playing after.

Unless you are built like Derrick Henry, and run like him, your career as a running RB isn't likely to last long.
Good points, but even if you're built like Henry, you have to be able to effectively catch the ball. This new era of RBs are termed "dual-threat" RBs that have the skills to effectively catch the ball in a pass-orientated league. The prototype for that position is undoubtedly Christian Mac. Decent size, good strength & power, great speed & the ability to catch the ball as well as effectively run the ball. In 8 seasons he's tallied 509 catches for over 4300 yds & 29 scores...mindblowing!

For example, Braelon Allen from Wisconsin, who's built like Henry, was only the 8th RB taken in 4th rd of this draft while Jonathan Brooks from Texas was the 1st RB taken early in the 2nd (and Brooks isn't nearly as big & fast as Allen). Looking at the scouting reports, the knock on Allen was that he doesn't catch the ball that well & is not a great route runner while Brooks had very high marks in those areas.

I look at the Bronco's Jaleel McLaughlin, a very undersized RB at only 187 lbs signed as an UDFA last year who made the 53 & played in the rotation - and wonder how did he make it as a running back?

His pass catching skills was the difference maker. While contributing about 410 yds rushing (5.4), he caught 31 balls for 2 scores (no dropped passes). But moving forward, I think durability could be an issue unless he puts some size on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez
Good posts. Odd team to take him.

A year ago I felt he was worth nowhere near the money he was expecting. Well, Baltimore paid him a lot. His numbers? Played in 14 games, had just 35 catched all season, 3 TDs. He was sandwiched between Brian Robinson Jr. and DJ Clark in the league. His yards per catch were very good at 16.1, but he also had a low completion %, meaning he was dropping balls and/or was not getting separation. Or at times he and Lamar were not connecting on long post and fly patterns. Not good, but it can happen with speed guys.

I bring all this up because the team that in theory would take him would be a team that needs a platoon player with speed. A guy who would play on a lot of 2nd and long, 3rd and long downs, a guy who can accelerate and get down field. Miami is not such a team. They already have receivers like this. It makes little sense to me either.

Last edited:
Dolphins can't complain that they don't have enough speed. They are loaded in multiple positions. What surprises me is that OBJ still gets 8 mill per season !
Well...let's see if Tua can get them back to the playoffs & actually win one. Tua has been a starter for 4 yrs now & is 0-1 in postseason! Not what you would expect from a 5th OA & the 2nd QB taken behind Burrow in 2020.

The bust clock is ticking on Tua.

Last edited:
You might use that word, "bust" too liberally. By such a metric about a quarter or more players in the NFL are busts.

Then again, here's the thing with Tua. He's entering the 5th year on his rookie deal. There's talk right now about how the Dolphins are going to sign him to a massive extension, something along the lines of Justin Herbert, as he is their guy. Something around $45m a year, with at least $30m of that guaranteed (depending on how that is structured), despite some impressive games, and very impressive throws, I have yet to see any indication to me Tua is worth that much (very comparative term, NONE of these guys are "worth" this much cash. The world's top neurosurgeon likely isn't "worth" $50m a year, nor does he/she earn that).

Let me give you an example, last year Roquan Smith signed a huge deal with Baltimore. Arguably the best LB in the NFL, maybe even a top 10 defensive player in the entire league. His pay? $13m this year, though there are bonuses, and his full contract is a nice $60m guaranteed over 5 years. Pretty good pay, really.

So, is Tua worth TRIPLE what Roquan Smith is? Ask me that about Patrick Mahomes? Sure! Lamar Jackson? Probably (if he can stay healthy). But Tua? Who in their right mind thinks so? Well, it's pretty likely Miami will pay him like he is, or close to it.

And it's not like Tua is stuck on a crappy team, having to elevate guys around him. His offense is stacked! So, he fails to deliver on that and take Miami deep into the playoffs in the next couple years, you might as well call him a bust.

I don't think I'm using that term too liberally in the context of the player's draft position (e.g. top 15) & the fact the player is drafted as the franchise QB. Keep in mind the Dophins haven't won a playoff game since 2000! And Tua is the 2nd highest drafted QB in franchise history only behind legendary Bob Griese who was taken 4th back in 1967.

I don't think the Dolphins took a QB this high to just win in the regular season & not advance in the playoffs. Furthermore, I'm sure ownership's expectations are probably more in line with bringing another SB title to the City of Miami.

Look at some of the other top 15 QB picks over the last several drafts that won a playoff game within 3 yrs of starting; Burrow (2nd season), Lawrence (2nd), Allen (3rd), Mayfield (3rd), Goff (3rd), Stroud (rookie season), Mahomes (1st season as a full-time starter). Even Daniel Jones got a playoff win by his 4th season.

IMO, barring injury or any other unforeseen circumstances, Tua has got to get it done this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alpe d'Huez