• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Official Wout Van Aert thread

Page 191 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It’s really remarkable. But there’s always going to be a better climber in LBL or Lombardia on the day. Where he might have a chance is at TA,Suisse or PN provided the course favors him AND no TdF monsters show up.

He was really unlucky to crash at the very moment of Mvdp’s attack in E3. It’s as if Adrie VdP had a Wout voodoo doll and flung it on the ground.
LBL could end with a select group sprint where Wout could win.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the monuments that Van Aert is best at, are unfortunately also the ones where race tactics and luck play the largest role.

Milan San Remo suits him pretty well, he would have been with that group, had he participated this year. And Paris Roubaix suits him even better.

I hope it happens for him this year in Roubaix and he goes on a rant against all the doubters. Ofcourse Flanders is also not a foregone conclusion, but I'm not sure he's even second favourite for that race at the moment..

Reactions: Salvarani
Its just hindsight. Had he won RVV/PR or both, its worth it, and he has still raced Omloop, Kuurne, E3 and Dwaars in advance.

Lets say he had won G-W.. aight, doesn't really change much for him at this point. He even gifted it last year.
I don't care about G-W much, i think he could've won Sanremo. Also it's dumb to race Dwars 4 days prior to Flanders. If he took cautious approach and didn't race much prior, why risk days before main goal?

I don't care about G-W much, i think he could've won Sanremo. Also it's dumb to race Dwars 4 days prior to Flanders. If he took cautious approach and didn't race much prior, why risk days before main goal?
He didn't not race because caution, he didn't race because of altitude training. The thought is you'll have a high level very early on upon return, followed a quick dip in form, followed once more by a peak. Hence no Wevelgem, hence yes E3 and DdV.