• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Peter Sagan discussion thread.

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I still don't understand why it took him two and a half years to get a thread...
Rider threads weren't really a thing in the old days. Around 2011 the appreciation thread thing started which was quickly followed by depreciation threads and once Flo mad her I LOVE ALBERTO thread after he got banned mods had had enough at the time and threads were fused to 1 main thread per rider.

Thank you for the memories, Peter.
He tried to entertain and I do think he brought in new fans because of it.
Indeed. The only person I managed to convert into a cycling fan is a friend's son, a 12-year old boy in 2018 who kept coming to me everytime Sagan raced. None of us realized he's not that far from his twilight, before the dawn of a new super rider era. The boy is a young footballer now living in another town, and still in love with cycling. Couldn't even do it to my own kid, and couldn't have done it without Sagan.

In his peak he was just as strong as Fabian and Tom. He really gave us fond memories. To me, and I am really not a fan boy of anything, he lifted cycling out of a small crisis and was this first of a kind young buck coming along and stealing pretty much every show he attended.

What a star. A rider with high class and a sense of good humour to back it all up.

He will be missed

Rider threads weren't really a thing in the old days. Around 2011 the appreciation thread thing started which was quickly followed by depreciation threads and once Flo mad her I LOVE ALBERTO thread after he got banned mods had had enough at the time and threads were fused to 1 main thread per rider.

And then people started depreciating in the appreciation threads, and appreciating in the depreciation threads...

Peto was on the Move podcast. It wasn't very interesting until about minute 40 where he started talking about how the peloton has changed since he started.

I couldn't quite tell if he was describing real changes, or it was actually that his perspective changed, because he said the young riders were taking too many risks, and that sounds like a very typical response to aging as one's own risk-taking behavior diminishes. But he also claimed the speeds were up without any reasonable explanation.

Overall the interview made me a little sad because he seemed old and tired and that hotel room he sat in was a bit dreary to look at. The hosts kept acting like Peter had somewhere else to be, but in reality it was Hincapie who had cut out to take his kids to school.

I think what Sagan lacked in his career was a big rival (the Canc to his Boonen, the Wout to his MVDP) to both elevate his game and take some of the eyes off his back wheel.

At 33 he is surprisingly ineffective. Seems a little early to me?

He said in the interview the gruppetto was expending huge energy at the end of the stage rather than just rolling in, without any real risk of a time cut. He couldn't understand why they were doing that.

Sagan had Cancellara, GVA, and Quickstep as a whole as big rivals. It wasn’t like he was racing against B tier riders.

At 33 he is surprisingly ineffective. Seems a little early to me?

He said in the interview the gruppetto was expending huge energy at the end of the stage rather than just rolling in, without any real risk of a time cut. He couldn't understand why they were doing that.
He’s also been racing for a very long time and has looked to be done with it for quite awhile. That will have a factor in his training and performance as well.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Canc and Sagan didn't overlap that much. They basically high fived on the way past one another.

GVA was always a nearly man with maybe one good season. Not in the same ballpark as multi-monument winners.

Quickstep I will grant you.
Cancellara and Sagan raced 6 seasons against the other in the classics with Boonen being in 3 seasons as well. GVA was a top contender at that time.

Reactions: Squire and Blanco

Says that the place has a story
Hopefully it's not too pricey... I'm sure Sagan is a huge star in Slovakia, so I can see at least his Slovak fans visiting. Heck, I would visit too if I ever traveled to those parts of the world, besides the Sagan angle it looks like a prime location for all kinds of outdoor activities both summer and winter.

EDIT: Just checked the room prices, the most expensive one is 350 Euro, the least is 180. So for a luxury resort it's not too steep.

https://www.sp-resort.sk/en/ubytovanie/

PS: I want, I MUST have the Roubaix room! :D:hearteyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Cancellara and Sagan raced 6 seasons against the other in the classics with Boonen being in 3 seasons as well. GVA was a top contender at that time.
While this is all technically correct, I do see the point about Sagan missing a proper rival. Although he was very good from the get go, it was only towards the end of the Boonen/Cancellara era that Sagan really started to properly contend for the big classics. And Van Avermaet only had a couple of seasons where he stood out from the likes of Terpstra/Vanmarcke/Kristoff etc. For a few seasons, Sagan really suffered from being the outstanding favourite that everyone rode against. And this is coming from someone who usually bangs on about Sagan being overhyped/underwhelming!