• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Quinn Simmons is the new Quinn Simmons

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Isn't he dead?

R.c5155570ca0bcceadb6fc045644bd9aa

Reactions: Sandisfan
No races since dropping out of the TDF and nothing on his schedule. Seem to remember reading that he was thinking of retiring from cycling?

He just renewed for 2 or 3 years.

From what I understood from social media his injury took a lot to recover and he was 2 or 3 weeks off the bike without any training. He's been doing rides in the USA and he stated in August on instagram that if he could get some level back would like to race in Europe in the fall.

those American talents that fizzle out really early?
Taylor Phinney IMHO was one of those… I thought the best of him was still to come, then he suddenly retired from pro cycling.

His father was a pro, and Taylor was a good junior and U23 rider. He had a pretty face and body, and so on, and I remember this enormous, enormous hype around Taylor, which lasted for years.

When he suddenly retired, I couldn’t believe it. I even felt some kind of betrayed, as a pro cycling fan. I thought and still think, „All this, for riding a few days in Pink at the Giro?!“…

He‘s obviously married to Kasia Nieuwmadona (probably she’s written differently), and I hope Phinney is well, and happy… Regards to him, if he‘s reading here on CN…

Thanks, I didn’t remember that 100%…

But wasn’t it that he recovered and returned to racing? Maybe he discovered after some time that he wasn’t able to reach his pre-injury shape, any more?…
Yes, he returned to racing, but not to his level from before the injury, except that one Paris-Roubaix 2018 performance out of nowhere.

He talked about how his leg never got back to what it was. It was a pretty brutal crash, lucky he did not have worse long term issues.

He never seemed that he was all that into being a pro. He is now, from what I read not too long ago, following his first passion, art. Lots of similarities with Adrian Costa as far as being so physically gifted but just not into it.

Last edited:
So, how do you think he'll do next year? And what kind of races is he likely to focus on?

(For the record, I'm talking about Quinn Simmons, not Taylor Phinney.)
Hopefully they don't try to have him chasing the KOM..... I would hope they focus on one day races and stage hunting. I think he has lots of potential to do really well but Trek doesn't seem to know how to best utilize his strengths.

He talked about how his leg never got back to what it was. It was a pretty brutal crash, lucky he did not have worse long term issues.

He never seemed that he was all that into being a pro. He is now, from what I read not too long ago, following his first passion, art. Lots of similarities with Adrian Costa as far as being so physically gifted but just not into it.
I think there was a lot pressure on phinney, or at least he felt a lot of pressure, being the son of 2 famous pros.

Simmons, hm, that's a tough one. He had some enormous rides as a teenager but hasn't really developed much, to be brutally honest. He had a bad crash in the Tour, correct? That and the Mader crash definitely put a damper on his season.

He seems like he'd be good at really hard races where bike handling plays a role , like obviously SB but also PR, Flanders, even Tro Bro Léon. He could be compared a bit to Moscon, maybe, because definitely has some climbing ability for his size. He's a little heavier, I think.

I think Phinney had a severe leg injury, so there's an explanation for why his career went the way it did.
Phinney had a leg injury that can be fatal. Simmons not anywhere near the severity in any crash he has had..and other rehabilitation cases to look at.. Phinney and Chris Froome worked with elite trainers and scientists, used a super, super slow recovery and reentry process, Phinney never really reentered and it can be argued that Froome never did either, and is a version of retired under contract.
Egan Bernal dealing with mountains of medical issues both mental and physical took another approach and told doctors and scientists that he would be glad to chat with them but he needed to get back on his bike, rolling out big miles, going semi old school and he looks to likely comeback.
Simmons doing no real races after abandoning is likely a weight in his jersey pocket. I hope the guy has more, but if not he won't be the first to have his spirit broken by falling off the mountain of great expectations..

I think Phinney had a severe leg injury, so there's an explanation for why his career went the way it did.
severe leg injury + severe lack of motivation + lucrative early contract with BMC. By the time he retired, any minor physical inconvenience was enough to make him sit out from races.

This Simmons quote is really relatable:

“I still had the idea that ‘Okay, tomorrow, I can start training’, and tomorrow turned into five weeks of trying to get back on the bike and it not working really,” Simmons said.

“Everything I do for fun whether it's skiing, running in the mountains, or riding a bike is exercising. Then when you suddenly can't do that - I just sat on the couch and ate. It was really bad for me.”
I think (hope) he'll be better emotionally equipped to deal with such injuries next time.