• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Richie Porte - what do we know about him?

Page 133 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Cookster15 said:
GraftPunk said:
Not that I think he was clean, but he was adrift 14 minutes and saving up for today. Being let off the leash with a surplus of oomph by the big boys is opportunity, but yeah LRP is a dirty little dawg.

Yep, but LRP is no less clean than anyone else who is riding for Grand Tour Podiums. So when we celebrate Froome, Quintana, Contador or Nibali, we can also celebrate LRP if he can hold it together and stay on his bike for 3 weeks. The other point I find interesting about Porte at BMC is he has continued to develop after leaving Sky's marginal gains umbrella.

Reference point; see Tyler Hamilton.

If he threatens Froome for the Tour, Michelle will call Brian and have a bio flag issued. That should bring him back to regular LRP.

Painting either Froome or his family as that of Armstrong is despicable.
You seem to forget that they great mates.

Re:

GraftPunk said:
Not that I think he was clean, but he was adrift 14 minutes and saving up for today. Being let off the leash with a surplus of oomph by the big boys is opportunity, but yeah LRP is a dirty little dawg.
How exactly was he saving himself after he lost time and his GC was over? He was the fastest uphill in the ITT, mostly losing time in the corners before that; he went from the bottom of the mur de Fayence; and yesterday, he was just simply the strongest.

It will be interesting to see for how long he can continue to fly. I see he won't do Catalunya, but I think he'll do either Itzulia or Romandïe (or both).

Netserk said:
GraftPunk said:
How exactly was he saving himself after he lost time and his GC was over? He was the fastest uphill in the ITT, mostly losing time in the corners before that; he went from the bottom of the mur de Fayence; and yesterday, he was just simply the strongest.

It will be interesting to see for how long he can continue to fly. I see he won't do Catalunya, but I think he'll do either Itzulia or Romandïe (or both).

I agree. I think he's peaked with a tdf level peak too early.
Does he have another level? Or does he peak down and peak again? Would peak be better or worse?
Time will tell

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

silvergrenade said:
Netserk said:
GraftPunk said:

Does he have another level? Or does he peak down and peak again? Would peak be better or worse?
Time will tell

#LRP can fly,
he has no ceiling
#porcine

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Netserk said:
GraftPunk said:

Time will tell
My guess is that LRP is targeting TDU through to Paris-Nice, break, then build and race the 1 week races as a lead in to the TDF

Re:

dlwssonic said:
By far better than his days in sky?
No better than Ax-3-Domaines or Pierre St Martin, imo. He's always had the ability to do this at some point in a week long stage race, or the early mountain stages of a GT.

Also, this ride was kind of lacking a decent reference point. Froome got shelled really early for whatever reason, and so the nearest challengers from the peloton were TJVG and Uran - and the likes of Felline just a few seconds back. It would be a bit of surprise if Porte didn't put in significant time on Uran and TJVG on 6km at 7%, or whatever exactly the final climb was.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
Red Rick said:
Yeah competition was crap and probably started looking at each other very quickly, if the group size after them is any indication. TJVG probably waited for a while too as Porte was team leader anyway.
A bit harsh. :lol: Anything bar Quintana, Valverde, Froome.. and maybe Contador is crap?
Also no Nibali, Aru, Bardet, Pinot, Adam Yates, Chaves, Martin, Landa, Thomas, Dumoulin, Mollema, Kruijswijk, Chaves... It's one of the worst climbing fields I can remember, in terms of depth, for a fairly prestigious mountainous race.

Apart from Porte and Simon Yates - who both looked strong - and Froome, who had a bad day for whatever reason, it is severely lacking in top climbing talent. Sure, it was an impressive show of force by Porte, particularly to bridge across to Yates (although the ease with which Yates followed, suggests he wasnt exactly going flat out before Porte joined). But surely its not that surprising that Porte can put a minute into TJVG, Uran, Izagirre and a bunch of other fifth or sixth tier GC riders on a 6km climb at 7%?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Exciting times for a LRP grand tour bid. Ax3 and PSM indicated the elite, if decidedly sub-Froome, ceiling, and last year showed he can keep it together for 3 weeks.

Today just shows he's on track. Not sure what's up with Froome. Could be consciously building up form closer to the Tour than he's done previously. For the Double

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re:

SeriousSam said:
Exciting times for a LRP grand tour bid. Ax3 and PSM indicated the elite, if decidedly sub-Froome, ceiling, and last year showed he can keep it together for 3 weeks.

Today just shows he's on track. Not sure what's up with Froome. Could be consciously building up form closer to the Tour than he's done previously. For the Double

Froome's probably suffering from lack of racing (form) and as you said aiming for the Double.

As for LRP those were some serious numbers on that final climb. Still think he's not "there" for 3 week races. 1 week races and he's a serious threat.

BYOP88 said:
SeriousSam said:

Froome's probably suffering from lack of racing (form) and as you said aiming for the Double.

As for LRP those were some serious numbers on that final climb. Still think he's not "there" for 3 week races. 1 week races and he's a serious threat.

Didn't Porte last 3 weeks last year? If not for crashes Porte would have finished on the podium and ahead of Quintana. Yes it was only one grand tour but I think it proved he has figured out how to not suddenly lose 20 minutes in the grupetto when he has an off day.