• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Riley Sheehan (just that...no "next" or "thread" etc in title, that's how it's done)

He wins a race.
He gets a thread.
Statistics
Paris%E2%80%93Tours_logo.png
riley-sheehan-2022.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember in 2008 or 2009, Jan Kuyckx was 2nd to Gilbert in Tours. I didn’t really change much for him.

Sheehan now won it, and this changes everything. It‘s like Girmay‘s Wevelgem victory. It not only opens doors; Sheehan and Girmay now HAVE already won their big race, no one will take away that.

Paris-Tours is honest, only the biggest stars win there. Derek Gee got a very long contract at Israel for his amazing four 2nd places in the Giro. Winning Tours will now offer the same for Sheehan, I‘m sure.

I just followed the PCS ticker. When I was sure that the break would stay in front, I did not have the slightest doubt that Askey would win this, after a perfect leadout by LeGac. Apparently Sheehan still was stronger, which tells so much.

Nice that from time to time, there still are surprises when it comes to winning the biggest races. Goss and Ciolek in San Remo, Girmay in Wevelgem, Sheehan in Tours. :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I remember in 2008 or 2009, Jan Kuyckx was 2nd to Gilbert in Tours. I didn’t really change much for him.

Sheehan now won it, and this changes everything. It‘s like Girmay‘s Wevelgem victory. It not only opens doors; Sheehan and Girmay now HAVE already won their big race, no one will take away that.

Paris-Tours is honest, only the biggest stars win there. Derek Gee got a very long contract at Israel for his amazing four 2nd places in the Giro. Winning Tours will now offer the same for Sheehan, I‘m sure.

I just followed the PCS ticker. When I was sure that the break would stay in front, I did not have the slightest doubt that Askey would win this, after a perfect leadout by LeGac. Apparently Sheehan still was stronger, which tells so much.

Nice that from time to time, there still are surprises when it comes to winning the biggest races. Goss and Ciolek in San Remo, Girmay in Wevelgem, Sheehan in Tours. :)

Pity you didn't watch the race - It was always going to be hard for Askey to win the race when he rode alone from 52kms to 10kms.

I lost track of where he'd ended up after he left the Penguins, seems like he bounced around between the NHL and AHL for a bit, and is now playing over in Switzerland, which should at least mean a pretty good salary by Euro league standards.

I mean, the first time I heard of the Denver Disruptors I did think they sounded like they might be the Avs' ECHL affiliate.

• Wow
I lost track of where he'd ended up after he left the Penguins, seems like he bounced around between the NHL and AHL for a bit, and is now playing over in Switzerland, which should at least mean a pretty good salary by Euro league standards.

I mean, the first time I heard of the Denver Disruptors I did think they sounded like they might be the Avs' ECHL affiliate.
The joke wasn't funny a month ago and now it just shows your true self. Lame.

Absolutely. He may not be the next Remco, but now he knows he’s capable of beating WT stars in a relatively hard race. What he does with this knowledge, only time will tell…

The joke wasn't funny a month ago and now it just shows your true self. Lame.
The joke might not be funny to you (its catchment area is pretty limited), but it isn't intended out of malice. In fact, I cheer for the Pens and the fact that Riley's name is easily confused for the hockey player is something that endears him to me.

Some people might find my persisting with a joke about a namesake tiresome, but some people might find excessive perception of anything other than effusive praise of one's compatriots as a personal slight tiresome too.

Pity you didn't watch the race - It was always going to be hard for Askey to win the race when he rode alone from 52kms to 10kms.
Good hint… Apparently I read the ticker only superficially on Sunday.

I now read it more carefully, and in fact Askey was out front, solo, for quite some time. So apparently he lacked energy in the finale.

But thanks again, this explains a lot… :)

Bearing in mind the cycling Riley is best known for winning Paris-Tours and the hockey Riley is best known for being DUI while dressed as a teletubby, so 'our' Riley (as in the one relevant to this discussion) has definitely got that going for him!

I don't know much about the two Rileys, but I think that sounds way more impressive than winning Paris-Tours. It would of course have been even better if he had blamed it on Japanese killer flies.

• Haha
Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan