• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Rubén Fernández thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Red Rick said:
Sensible decision from Movistar. They have one guy who can realistically win the Vuelta, and that is Quintana. You'd protect him to get some top 10 spot, but Valverde can do that anyway. It was nice for him to ride in Rojo for a day I guess
That would be the reasonable bet, but seeing Quintana waiting for Valverde when he dropped yesterday makes me wonder.

Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Red Rick said:
Sensible decision from Movistar. They have one guy who can realistically win the Vuelta, and that is Quintana. You'd protect him to get some top 10 spot, but Valverde can do that anyway. It was nice for him to ride in Rojo for a day I guess
That would be the reasonable bet, but seeing Quintana waiting for Valverde when he dropped yesterday makes me wonder.

Did anybody from Movistar say clearly who is the leader of the team?

Rollthedice said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Red Rick said:

:lol:

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Rollthedice said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Red Rick said:

The strongest one ;)

El Pistolero said:
You guys sure know how to over-hype cyclists. Seems like a common thing for Spanish cyclists. First Landa and now Fernandez.

and common for Dutch, American, British, Danish, Russian, Slovenian, and sometimes Italian and Belgian cyclists, too. I don't see much wrong here, people were just talking about him, he took Red in La Vuelta after dropping some big names, the next day he dropped and we have two pages about him, a little too excited maybe but surely no over-hyping.

Re:

gunara said:
El Pistolero said:
You guys sure know how to over-hype cyclists. Seems like a common thing for Spanish cyclists. First Landa and now Fernandez.

and common for Dutch, American, British, Danish, Russian, Slovenian, and sometimes Italian and Belgian cyclists, too. I don't see much wrong here, people were just talking about him, he took Red in La Vuelta after dropping some big names, the next day he dropped and we have two pages about him, a little too excited maybe but surely no over-hyping.
We over hyped him quite a bit really, saying he'd be the Dumoulin, Froome and Horner of this Vuelta.

Not as bad as Dutch riders though, or Colombians. To be fair most of the Colombians haven't totally failed to deliver the hype they'd been given, but still. Italians too (Moser springs to mind)

The hype is deserved when you pretty much pull from the bottom and by far is the strongest on a climb such as Mirador IMO.

Anyways, its good to finally see him deliver on a big scene. He just need some consistency and he can be a regular top-10 finisher in Giros and Vueltas.

If he hadn't stopped for 20 seg to see how Quintaverde was doing, he could have broken Purito's 2012 Ezaro record whilst carrying the group. So that was imprrssive enough.

But the next day he showed weakness, so we'll see.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
The hype is deserved when you pretty much pull from the bottom and by far is the strongest on a climb such as Mirador IMO.

Anyways, its good to finally see him deliver on a big scene. He just need some consistency and he can be a regular top-10 finisher in Giros and Vueltas.

The guys is good, but it would be difficult with both Bala and Quintana in the same team.