• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 496 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tejay van Garderen, sports director of EF Education-Easy Post, has harshly criticized Tadej Pogacar after his exhibition on the Volta a Catalunya. On the NBC Sports Cycling show, the former American cyclist discussed with Christian Vande Velde about the superiority of Slovenian. "To be honest, it made everyone look like children. It was a bit frustrating.""
"He obviously wants to win and he should win because he's the best in the world, I understand it, but it was a predictable conclusion and you've got people 10 minutes on the getaway, and yet his team keeps them a minute away because he wants to win again," van Garderen said on the program.

Saw a clip of that on social media. Tejay came across as a pathetic person just sore that he never had anything like the talent Tadej has.

Tejay’s problem is the top of the sport is too lopsided currently, there is little parity. Pogacar is just the easy one to point to. I don’t know if deliberately letting others win is the answer but I get the sentiment.
The best riders always used to win many races in the history of this sport, most of them that they entered.

It is more like there is an attitude change among the best riders, which is more similar to how the sport used to be. Always was. The best riders would win a lot of races. Before the 00s and 10s.

People seem to forget history repeats itself.

Maybe in 10-20 years it will be back to only peaking/racing for one race again. Things change. Goes back and forward.

The best riders always used to win many races in the history of this sport, most of them that they entered.

It is more like there is an attitude change among the best riders, which is more similar to how the sport used to be. Always was. The best riders would win a lot of races. Before the 00s and 10s.

People seem to forget history repeats itself.

Maybe in 10-20 years it will be back to only peaking/racing for one race again. Things change. Goes back and forward.
Best riders won lot of races in the 00's and 10's too...

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes. But there was more focus on only a few, that they won.

Riders now have more wins than a few of the most prominent riders of those years.
Noone of those riders were close to pogacar talent and level tho. But i see your point.

However only rider comparable to Pogacar at this point is the other cannibal - Eddy Merckx.

Which again is such a different era were competition were 100x lower than this golden era were in now so not really very comparable in the first place. Now cycling is even more specialized than its ever been and everyone respective objectives /across different fields are hence at a very high level makes it even more impressive really.

Last edited:
Pogacar is the real deal, don't act like we saw other riders winning as much as he wins. This dude is the best "hilly cobbled" rider in the world, he is the best in hilly classics, he is the best climber in the world (I think Vingegaard can recover better than him but if we put a super hard mountain classic, Pogacar would win IMHO), this dude is the best sprinter if we compared with other climbers or punchers and if he would care about TT, he would be able to be top5 in every WC TT. He is so much better than others that it is sad to see. What really hurts to them is the fact they can't even fight against him with different strategies because if Pogacar wants he just does his long range attacks and put everyone on the ropes.

Pogacar is the real deal, don't act like we saw other riders winning as much he wins. This dude is the best "hilly cobbled" rider in the world, he is the best in hilly classics, he is the best climber in the world (I think Vingegaard can recover better than him but if we put a super hard mountain classic, Pogacar would win IMHO), this dude is the best sprinter if we compared with other climbers or punchers and if he would care about TT, he would be able to be top5 in every WC TT. He is so much better than others that it is sad to see. What really hurts to them is the fact they can even fight against with different strategies because if Pogacar wants he just does his long range attacks and put everyone on the ropes.
The GOAT

Pogacar is the real deal, don't act like we saw other riders winning as much as he wins. This dude is the best "hilly cobbled" rider in the world, he is the best in hilly classics, he is the best climber in the world (I think Vingegaard can recover better than him but if we put a super hard mountain classic, Pogacar would win IMHO), this dude is the best sprinter if we compared with other climbers or punchers and if he would care about TT, he would be able to be top5 in every WC TT. He is so much better than others that it is sad to see. What really hurts to them is the fact they can't even fight against him with different strategies because if Pogacar wants he just does his long range attacks and put everyone on the ropes.
Would love to see them both ride the Mont Ventoux challenge in good form.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
Noone of those riders were close to pogacar talent and level tho. But i see your point.

However only rider comparable to Pogacar at this point is the other cannibal - Eddy Merckx.

Which again is such a different era were competition were 100x lower than this golden era were in now so not really very comparable in the first place. Now cycling is even more specialized than its ever been and everyone respective objectives /across different fields are hence at a very high level makes it even more impressive really.
This is so spot on.

Fun fact, I actually tried to have a petition to name this thread cannibal or something towards that.