• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 555 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pog had a small défaillance in that he didn't drop everybody with his accellerations on the San Vito climb and then, imho, bothched the sprint. He opened it up too early when he sensed Schachmann charging from behind and, considering his previous efforts, basically played an astute and intrepid Narvaez's lead-out man. Tomorrow Pog has the chance to settle the score, but I agree that he expended his team and, in the end, himself, to only come up empty-handed.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The right question would be could narvez follow pog on la roudute if he was there? Which i really doubt. Starting grand tours is a bit different...Today was about opening the legs. pogs form should be judged from tomorrow on

How much has it affected his style of racing that he has changed the length of his cranks from 172 to 165? Wouldn’t it change his sprint? He has also raced differently this year with the long range attacks in all his wins.

Of course not the best start for UAE. But people going too far in this forum. So tried to real all this comments like
“he is washed” “merckx would have won by 5 minutes” and see the same user just keep posting the same thing over and over again. Grow up, give us your thoughts instead of just trolling. You known who you are.

Pogacar was the strongest today and was unfortunately forced to have to attack from the bottom of the last climb.
His biggest and probably only headache tonight is his team. But that I would also say is a bit worrying for him, probably not for the Giro win. But for all the extra energy he gonna use that he should have kept for the Tour.

Anyway there was always wins for UAE today. Both Bora and Ineos second leaders look bad and lost time.

I think we got a lot of answers today.
UAE’s team look bad.
The other GC riders not good enough to follow Pogacar.
Ineos on paper have the strongest team but also looked bad today besides Narvaez.

Last edited:
Pogacar will win the race easily but today i had the sensation again that he is not stronger than in the previous years.
We will never know that. His true level is only showed when Vingegaard is racing against him (and I think we can say the same about Vingegaard). Today was a stage for punchers and very short to see the true level of some gc contenders. Tomorrow we will have a better picture but I have some doubts about Pogacar's level, I don't think he prepared to be at 100%.

Reactions: snipeheem
Pogacar will win the race easily but today i had the sensation again that he is not stronger than in the previous years.
You are very likely right but let's judge how strong he is after the Giro and even more so after the Tour. Let's not firget that he has a way bigger task than wearing the pink jersey from day one.

P.s I'm confident that he would win if OAE were strong enough to do a proper lead-out on San Vito.

It's nice after all the discourses , about how much Pogacar will try to kill the race in the first week, or win the Giro whilst taking it easy, to be reminded that he can be beaten not only by MVDP and the fisherman. It was a bit arrogant from a lot of pundits and some of his fans I think. Anyway it doesn't change the fact that he is still the overwhelming favourite for this giro, and already advantage now.
That narrative is also popular with people who aren't fans of his.

Reactions: Salvarani
Good effort and racing today, even without the win he made the stage exciting

GMwel3SXAAAXrFo