• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 556 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In 1 km you will not see a substantial improvement analyzing it from the couch
You're new here so here's how this couching stuff works: You set up a claim up front, a target if you will, and then you watch the race or the segment and whatever happens, your claim is now supported by facts - and you can now go and write all about it on the forum :)

P.S. That being said, I tend to agree with @Froome that being unable to drop Schachmann and Narvaez on a climb like that points to the assumption that if this was TdF, Pog would not be able to drop Vingegaard either - hence currently not stronger than previous years. The only problem is this is not the Tour but the beginning of the Giro with Tour still to come and there he could in fact prove to be much stronger than here. In fact - if he is serious about winning both, this is the way to go (minus burning out his team for little gain, of course...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookster15

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
You're new here so here's how this couching stuff works: You set up a claim up front, a target if you will, and then you watch the race or the segment and whatever happens, your claim is now supported by facts - and you can now go and write all about it on the forum :)

P.S. That being said, I tend to agree with @Froome that being unable to drop Schachmann and Narvaez on a climb like that points to the assumption that if this was TdF, Pog would not be able to drop Vingegaard either - hence currently not stronger than previous years. The only problem is this is not the Tour but the beginning of the Giro with Tour still to come and there he could in fact prove to be much stronger than here. In fact - if he is serious about winning both, this is the way to go (minus burning out his team for little gain, of course...)
I mean that if a guy wants to do two GTs he will want to improve especially in other types of efforts. Let's sit back and see more before analyzing too much of a steep 1km and a great performance from Narvaez.

VERY MUCH YES.

I see some people have worries about the UAE team in this race... but no other team looked very impressive numbers-wise in the final yesterday. Most teams had 2-3 riders at most and there were a bunch of hilly-classics type riders in the end, who will be nowhere in the high mountains. Other riders surprisingly being dropped.

I dont feel like it was a stage very well suited to either Grosschartner or Majka, who likes the longer climbs and should be at their best later in the race.

With that in mind... maybe Novak should have been the last man yesterday, as he looked good and did well in LBL.

Bjerg was great yesterday. Perhaps pulling a bit too hard but they were trying to win the stage and take the jersey. Had to make up ground on the break at that point.

I believe Pog just wanted to put on a show and create some entertainment. It was a fun first stage either way.

Pike is steeper, so VAM is bigger.
The important difference is that 1) Pike wasn't measured from bottom to top, so you're already missing a section that's above threshold and more import 2)Pogacar launched San Vito from the very bottom, while Cote de Pike had Pogacar and Vingegaard looking at each other and not fulling committing to going as hard as possible. Mur de Huy typically has terrible pacing as well

Shows just how far off Naichaca's estimates really are. Official figures 8.48w/kg for when he was attacking (1'46") whereas Naichaca has him doing more than that for the entire duration of the climb
That's kinda hilarious on one point, but I am pretty suer he launched the entire climb and he likely did a positive split.

8.5 for 1'46 is a basically getting dropped on the Cauberg.

Reactions: Stasat
I see some people have worries about the UAE team in this race... but no other team looked very impressive numbers-wise in the final yesterday. Most teams had 2-3 riders at most and there were a bunch of hilly-classics type riders in the end, who will be nowhere in the high mountains. Other riders surprisingly being dropped.

I dont feel like it was a stage very well suited to either Grosschartner or Majka, who likes the longer climbs and should be at their best later in the race.

With that in mind... maybe Novak should have been the last man yesterday, as he looked good and did well in LBL.

Bjerg was great yesterday. Perhaps pulling a bit too hard but they were trying to win the stage and take the jersey. Had to make up ground on the break at that point.

I believe Pog just wanted to put on a show and create some entertainment. It was a fun first stage either way.
Why Novak last? He didn't look good? (Didn't see the beginning, so might have worked a lot beforehand)

That's kinda hilarious on one point, but I am pretty suer he launched the entire climb and he likely did a positive split.

8.5 for 1'46 is a basically getting dropped on the Cauberg.
Yeah hard to tell, certainly seemed like a positive split. I assumed that the Velon data was from the series off accelerations near the start of the climb.

Seems most of the peloton was a bit off yesterday, they did 6/wkg (ish) for 17mins on the Maddalena & Pog only put 12secs into Ganna on the final 9.5% climb

Yeah hard to tell, certainly seemed like a positive split. I assumed that the Velon data was from the series off accelerations near the start of the climb.

Seems most of the peloton was a bit off yesterday, they did 6/wkg (ish) for 17mins on the Maddalena & Pog only put 12secs into Ganna on the final 9.5% climb
Think thats what happens when you do the tapering before a GT, takes a minute to get the engine rolling.

Ganna is underrated if the climbing is a single short hill too. Problem for him is not enough flat after

Reactions: Stasat
Why Novak last? He didn't look good? (Didn't see the beginning, so might have worked a lot beforehand)
Yeah worked early and pulled the last climb on his own the penultimate time, thinning the peloton out.

This stage felt like he would have been of more use later and especially since he was so good in LBL. Both him and Bjerg, the latter pulling on the longer climb after Novak.

Having Majka and Grosschartner work on the climbs... then saving Bjerg for the flat and Novak for the last time up the climb to set off Pog would have been better.

It was more explosive and technical. That probably didnt favor Majka or Grosschartner. Just not their type of terrain.

It being the first stage and only 140km probably played its part as well. A lot of riders fresh and motivated. Unexpected riders were dropped and no team really being in control in the end. Great and fun stage though.

Reactions: SHAD0W93