• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 564 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Italians gotta be the most prickly nation in the world when it comes to food and fashion, they take it ultra-serious

Edit: Nvm its actually the UCI, [content deleted]
This is the kind of nonsense that makes this sport too often seem ultra bush-league. But then it's the UCI...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna be tough for the UCI as the regulations have always been DQ or Elimination. In fact they added to the rule in January where it also comes with a 50 to 2000 fine. I'm guessing they'll only fine him given it was RCS decision to break the rules technically but done so in good faith it seems. But that would set a new precedent that race organisers could try all sorts of things for marketing purposes and simply absorb the riders fines as a cost.

Reactions: Sandisfan
For race organizer to give you a jersey to wear and you after being disqualified for it by UCI? Good luck with that.
Technically the rules dont work like that. A car gives you a pull up the mountain, it's the rider who gets fined/dq even if not his teams car doing it, or a fan pushing them. Same legal framework as anti-doping basically. ie it's the riders responsibility.
I really hope they look at it from other podium contenders perspective. Nobody wants to win from others DQ over wrongly coloured skinsuit.

Technically the rules dont work like that. A car gives you a pull up the mountain, it's the rider who gets fined/dq even if not his teams car doing it, or a fan pushing them. Same legal framework as anti-doping basically. ie it's the riders responsibility.
I really hope they look at it from other podium contenders perspective. Nobody wants to win from others DQ over wrongly coloured skinsuit.

Not even remotely similar. On that occasion a mandatory video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E4vRtC7IcY

• Love
Reactions: DoYouEvenRideBruh
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ju...tone-maglia-rosa-skinsuit-with-purple-shorts/
"RCS Sport and people from Castelli tried to explain to the UCI commissaires that their own rules appear to allow the two-tone coloured skin suit but the race officials preferred to wait for senior officials at the UCI and perhaps even President David Lappartient to make a final decision. "

What a palaver!
Relax, it's like when it comes to safety. All you need to do is point a finger to some other person/organisation and it settles down after.

Not even remotely similar. On that occasion a mandatory video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E4vRtC7IcY
I'm talking about the fact that rules apply in cycling even if it's not your fault for breaking them. Same as anti-doping. You eat something prohibited accidentally and test positive, it's almost impossible to escape a sanction, the rider is responsible. You get squeezed onto a footpath avoiding a dog but pedetrians on that footbath you will be DQ or fined even if not your fault.

• Sad
I'm talking about the fact that rules apply in cycling even if it's not your fault for breaking them. Same as anti-doping. You eat something prohibited accidentally and test positive, it's almost impossible to escape a sanction, the rider is responsible. You get squeezed onto a footpath avoiding a dog but pedetrians on that footbath you will be DQ or fined even if not your fault.

Nop, this has nothing to do with doping and Pogi can't be responsible for it. At best the organiser will pay a fine if any.

This is not a good analogy - because in this particular case, the outfit was provided by race organisers. It is 100% their responsibility to provide an outfit according to the rulebook and not Pogs or the teams.

It is like getting disqualified because the organisers drove illegal motorbikes. That’s the analogy here…

What if the rider wasn't Pogi, but a lower league rider? Would that be ok?
Not really, if it wasn't for safety/comfort. If organizers gave any contender a pair of shorts they couldn't ride comfortably then the rider should always have the option. If the clothing wasn't adequate for bad weather, they're allowed to cover with rain jackets so what's the big deal?
Bad shorts=pain.

Gonna be tough for the UCI as the regulations have always been DQ or Elimination. In fact they added to the rule in January where it also comes with a 50 to 2000 fine. I'm guessing they'll only fine him given it was RCS decision to break the rules technically but done so in good faith it seems. But that would set a new precedent that race organisers could try all sorts of things for marketing purposes and simply absorb the riders fines as a cost.
Just like Nike did with the Air Jordan ( at least according to the film “Air”): Nike decided they would simply ignore the standard restrictions (on shoe color) and pay the penalty fee each time Jordan wore them in a game. The fee was minor compared to the marketing budget, and the controversy about their decision was like free advertising for the shoe. Great example of thinking outside the (shoe)box ;)

Nop, this has nothing to do with doping and Pogi can't be responsible for it. At best the organiser will pay a fine if any.
I'm not saying it does. The rules are based on the same legal framework and how sports law and the rules that determine it get applied. Strict liability, look it up.
What does happen though is UCI, race comms and the jury have discretion on applying their own rules or not ie they don't have to, even though they're written down. We see that balance all the time and think that will happen here with a fine only which was brought in in Januarys rules.

If the rules say: “The wearer of the leader's jersey shall be entitled to match the colour of his shorts to that of the jersey,”, it leaves a lot open to interpretation, in my understanding. Is the "matching" colour strictly the same as the jersey? Or is any colour which "matches", i.e.fits, with the jersey allowed?

Based on Cambridge dictionary, both interpretations are possible:
If two colours ... match, they are similar or look attractive together: