• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 576 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There is no doubt that hes toying with his rivals and his form his very good. I am just looking at a larger Giro Tour double picture. Has he peaked? I dont think so. Time will tell how he fares in week 3 and at the Tour. Only against Skeletor he needs absolute peak (which may still not be enough), definitely not against Giro competition.

Obviously peaking before the Giro makes no sense but maybe at Liege they realized he is a bit too strong too early.
I would imagine that after the dominant display in Liège, they knew the form and the prep was more than good enough, so maybe they tapered more before the Giro than what would be most optimal if not for the Tour. That would probably have been the plan all along, but I guess they could still adjust it a bit and allow for more rest before the race than initially planned.

Riders weight is a popular topic (see Remco thread), Pog definitely looked leaner at the start of the season (vs early spring in previous years) and now he looks to be close to his standard GT weight (little or no change since March).
Doesn’t make sense to lose weight for spring classics but not for a GT. I think he’s leaner and in top form at the moment. You don’t go on altitude to be at your best for Liege, then lose form and build it again for the 3rd week of a GT. I think he’s just in best form for 5-6 weeks straight.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Doesn’t make sense to lose weight for spring classics but not for a GT. I think he’s leaner and in top form at the moment. You don’t go on altitude to be at your best for Liege, then lose form and build it again for the 3rd week of a GT. I think he’s just in best form for 5-6 weeks straight.
Except with targeting the tour that would be three months of best form. Surely has to have some give in there somewhere.

Reactions: Oldermanish
Last edited:
No. You both get more tired but can go higher in form. The negatove effect of fatigue is a bit delayed after initial supercompensation
I had heard you just get less fatigued than others so perform better relative to them, but given some of the amazing performances in the last week of a GT your explanation makes sense to me, and i don't really know what I'm talking about :sweatsmile:

As someone already said, Pogacar looks like a kid "in a candy shop" or a kid in a playground.

It's clear he is struggling to hold on in a program and thus race more conservatively or with a view for the future. What he did yesterday, that giant pull in the pink jersey was by all means stupid, absurd but thus beautiful. Because he was having fun and not calculating the worst possible outcome.

His playful personality is clearly as strong as his ambition and prowess and I would argue that this is why he is ultimately a gift to the sport in decades and why he decided to race both Giro and the Tour.

Last edited:

He didnt target cobbled classics (last year he weighted 67 kg in early April) so he weighted less at the start of the season focusing on stage racing more in his double attempt year. No contradiction here. I am not noticing him weighting less now but its not easy to assess obviously.

As someone already said, Pogacar looks like a kid "in a candy shop" or a kid in a playground.

It's clear he is struggling to hold on in a program and thus race more conservatively or with a view for the future. What he did yesterday, that giant pull in the pink jersey was by all means stupid, absurd but thus beautiful. Because he was having fun and not calculating the worst possible outcome.

He's playful personality is clearly as strong as his ambition and prowess and I would argue that this is why he is ultimately a gift to the sport in decades and why he decided to race both Giro and the Tour.
Well put, I agree with this.

His style and personality has truly been like fresh air for the sport.

Limited opportunities for sprinters is a laughable claim. They get far more chances than any other type of rider.
And they're paid to do domestique duty for the GC candidates in a GT. Otherwise they got nothing but one day classics in the Spring and parking lot kermesses.
The fact that GTs seem to have proportionately more aggressive stages (faster) does limit the opportunities for guys that hate anything above a 5% grade. It's the old reality: bike racing is not genetically democratic on all fronts.

Reactions: jmdirt