• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 577 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
Doesn’t make sense to lose weight for spring classics but not for a GT. I think he’s leaner and in top form at the moment. You don’t go on altitude to be at your best for Liege, then lose form and build it again for the 3rd week of a GT. I think he’s just in best form for 5-6 weeks straight.
He was in Sierra Nevada and Matxin commented that it was only because Urska was there. So we don't know what kind of high altitude concentration he did, I understand that it was very light, since it was not planned.

Like I said prior to the Giro, We must wait for the Tour if we really want to know how good he is. Even his weight looks bigger than other GT's he has done.
Like others have said; he is probably doing more strength work which is helpful for a longer season. IMO he's progressed well to form; took some time off and will hit a first real peak in the last week. He can taper out and start a Tour build and, hopefully, hit his target peak for that last week there.
His challenge, aside from finishing the Giro successfully will be the intensity and risk of early Tour stages. His opposition should try to take advantage of him then if they want to upset his strategy.

He was in Sierra Nevada and Matxin commented that it was only because Urska was there. So we don't know what kind of high altitude concentration he did, I understand that it was very light, since it was not planned.
This. Pogacar wasn't really training at altitude so it is normal that he isn't in peak shape. Maybe he is preserving his optimal weight and his peak level for the Tour. The Tour is very backloaded this year (he needs to be good for 3 weeks) and he will probably be in yellow before stage 14 so he needs to be superb and not fatigued to defend his jersey.

"For sure it's in the back of my mind," Pogačar said when asked if he was already looking ahead to the Tour. "That's why I'm happy that I now have a bigger gap so I don't need to try and push too much over the limit to take time on the other guys. Now it's more defensive riding and using the team as much as possible to bring me to the finish line.
He is really a unique guy, he could give the obvious answer (just focused in the giro because it is very tough bla bla bla) but he chose to be honest and authentic. We need this type of communication in cycling!

"For sure it's in the back of my mind," Pogačar said when asked if he was already looking ahead to the Tour. "That's why I'm happy that I now have a bigger gap so I don't need to try and push too much over the limit to take time on the other guys. Now it's more defensive riding and using the team as much as possible to bring me to the finish line.
Bjerg & Laengen are thinking they're going to have a tough couple of weeks. Everyone else must be thinking "lets tire them out!" It will be very interesting to see how it goes with the breakaways.

Bjerg & Laengen are thinking they're going to have a tough couple of weeks. Everyone else must be thinking "lets tire them out!" It will be very interesting to see how it goes with the breakaways.
Not really mate. I don't know if they will try to win tomorrow but they will have to work. The next stage they will work is stage 15. Sprint teams will try to win stages 11, 12 (probably a day for the break) and 13, stage 14 is a active rest day for all peloton bar gc riders.

Pogacar: "Tomorrow (today) we will ride again because we want to see the place. We have raced on beautiful roads, and hopefully I will have a pizza and a capuccino."

Thomas: "We are circus monkeys riding on shitty roads"

Just a different in mindset.

Even if his watts estimations were "slightly" off Mou was right in one thing: that Pogi would treat the Giro like paid vacation in Italy!

The other he has posted about the training, Pog going to Sierra Nevada with Urska etc... has checked out so far as well.

The direction the season would go... is very much on course of what he envisioned would happen.
He's still a douche, and what we have seen so far has been pretty much what we expect of Pogacar these days anyways. Lets not give him credit for predicting something which nobody had seen coming

Reactions: Berniece
He's still a douche, and what we have seen so far has been pretty much what we expect of Pogacar these days anyways. Lets not give him credit for predicting something which nobody had seen coming
Don’t remember many others speaking about the possible importance of the new trainer and changes being made. Tests from training.

Things said prior to SB, Catalunya and so on.

Fair dues in my book.

Pogacar is a douche? Can you elaborate?

This article seems to echo my thoughts....

I like this quote ...
Most people who have raced a bike wouldn’t give up on a chance of victory because they know how hard and usually rare it is to win.

Touché. Yet I think he gave up a possible win on the sterrato stage. So maybe we are nitpicking? I am enjoying the show, I don't find this boring.

Pogacar is a douche?
No.

Mourinho-roma-serie-a-tim.jpg

Don’t remember many others speaking about the possible importance of the new trainer and changes being made. Tests from training.

Things said prior to SB, Catalunya and so on.

Fair dues in my book.
Except he was pulling numbers out of his ass like 7.3W/kg for 18 minutes and then reality hits and it's 6.7 and stuff like that.

I don't remember anyone who didn't predict Pogacar would win the Giro super easily