• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 584 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Things changed when JV decided to push Jonas ahead of Roglič at the Tour. That clearly happened at the Tour 2023, on where Roglič was not selected in the Tour team any more. As for Tour 2022, it's hard to say, on who would finish ahead and who would get sacrificed during the race. Hay bale made sure of that and hence we will never know. Luckily things changed again and now Rogla and Jonas can fight it out on the road, on where neither has to hold back, if not at the Tour 2024 then likely at Vuelta 2024. At the Tour 2024 it seems more likely we will get to see the aftermath of Tour 2020. Hopefully the Slovenian duo to fight it out till the finish line, Remco likely wanting to have a say in it. We'll see, it's cycling. On who is good in mountains, and things like that.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
After Planche, it was more 50/50 IMO, and I think going into the Tour, Rog and Vingo were equals in terms of chances of winning. I think this post is underrating Vingegaard a bit in 2022. We knew he was a great stage racer back and better than Roglic in the mountains and at least equal to Pog in the high mountains.

After PDBF, I had Vingo at 30% vs Pog at 60% (definitely thought that Vingo might win) but I remember that most posters were actually more favourable towards Pog than me. If you thought 50/50 you were the closest to the actual outcome.

Reactions: Lui98
After PDBF, I had Vingo at 30% vs Pog at 60% (definitely thought that Vingo might win) but I remember that most posters were actually more favourable towards Pog than me. If you thought 50/50 you were the closest to the actual outcome.
I think it was an obvious 50/50 the second Vingegaard showed to be just as good on a climb such as Planche, yes. Maybe even a very slight favorite at that point.

Tomorrow he will go at exactly 5 km from the top of Foscagno and gain around 1'15. And when he won't, Netserk will tell me what a fool I am

Reactions: gregrowlerson
For me he is a top 5 time triallist in the world. Can't compete with Tarling, Remco and Ganna in a flat course but in a more rolling time trial, he is probably the best. No joke, only Vingegaard can beat him if we are talking about a third week time trial.
It's a very relative subject.

What is being a top 5 time trialist in the world? Is being better on flat time trials? Hilly time trials?
Doing better time trials in Grand Tours, especially in the last week? Or doing top 5 in the worlds championship TT? Doing good in short TT(prologue)?

It's a very relative subject for every rider.

Certainly Pogacar is one of the best time trialists in the last week of a Grand Tour, also one of the best in a hilly TT, but in a world championship TT, Certainly he is not top 5 in the world, and the same to Vingegaard.

Roglic probably is the best time trialist in the world in a short TT, but in a flat TT in a world championships he can't do top 5.

Honestly kind of a boring Giro from him. Easily winning, being a class and a half above everyone else all the time, but never having completely insane performances.

Today he was really, really good, but realistically in these kind of TTs he's just not the top dog. And when he faces one of those top tier TTers in great shape, like he did today, 2nd is the best he can get. Still, he has almost 4 minutes and already 3 stage wins with 7 stages to go. Realistically this Giro is going really well for him.

Honestly kind of a boring Giro from him. Easily winning, being a class and a half above everyone else all the time, but never having completely insane performances.

Today he was really, really good, but realistically in these kind of TTs he's just not the top dog. And when he faces one of those top tier TTers in great shape, like he did today, 2nd is the best he can get. Still, he has almost 4 minutes and already 3 stage wins with 7 stages to go. Realistically this Giro is going really well for him.
Honest question. Bar Remco, what gc rider can beat Ganna in this type of TT?

Reactions: SHAD0W93 and jmdirt

I think that is unfair to call it a "boring" Giro from him.

Especially after the opening weekend, first TT, doing lead-outs, UAE pulling back breaks... then guys were complaining about that and wanting gifts instead. That was what he was doing, which was called "boring" or being too much of a "cannibal".

Now you are saying it is a "boring" Giro from him. Literally cant win over some people because they are gonna complain about anything.

As far as I know... the most difficult and hardest stages is still coming up, so there is still time for a couple of more wins if he wants to... he really doesnt need to. He can ride calculated and defensive, because as you say it is going really well for him. Not "realistically" either... it is facts.

It's a very relative subject.

What is being a top 5 time trialist in the world? Is being better on flat time trials? Hilly time trials?
Doing better time trials in Grand Tours, especially in the last week? Or doing top 5 in the worlds championship TT? Doing good in short TT(prologue)?

It's a very relative subject for every rider.

Certainly Pogacar is one of the best time trialists in the last week of a Grand Tour, also one of the best in a hilly TT, but in a world championship TT, Certainly he is not top 5 in the world, and the same to Vingegaard.

Roglic probably is the best time trialist in the world in a short TT, but in a flat TT in a world championships he can't do top 5.
Both Vingegaard and Pogacar (but specially Pogi because he is the better time triallist, unless we are talking about a third week TT) don't care about world championships. Pogi is normally far from his peak and don't prep for that specific TT. And for that reason, he looks awful and can't be competitive. I'm sure if we have an edition with a winner slower than 51 km/h, I can guarantee that winner is Pogacar (if he is good shape) or he is close to the win at least. In a flat course, he can't compete, simple as that.

I think that is unfair to call it a "boring" Giro from him.

Especially after the opening weekend, first TT, doing lead-outs, UAE pulling back breaks... then guys were complaining about that and wanting gifts instead. That was what he was doing, which was called "boring" or being too much of a "cannibal".

Now you are saying it is a "boring" Giro from him. Literally cant win over some people because they are gonna complain about anything.

As far as I know... the most difficult and hardest stages is still coming up, so there is still time for a couple of more wins if he wants to... he really doesnt need to. He can ride calculated and defensive, because as you say it is going really well for him. Not "realistically" either... it is facts.
Believe it or not, but the people who would like him to win more might not be the same who complain about him winning. They might in fact not even be haters.