• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tao Geoghegan Hart discussion thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I have never broken a bone in my body. So i have no idea what the exact prospect is with broken legs, especially since it's not a standard cycling injury, like a broken colarbone. How long does it take for a broken leg to heal?
Impossible to estimate until we know more about the injury.

EDIT: Hip fracture.
We still need to know more. I have fractured my pelvis twice, one kept me off of the bike for two weeks plus two more weeks of easy riding, while the other kept me off of the bike from July to October and then easy riding for the winter (it is still an issue 25 years later because of the way that it healed).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Impossible to estimate until we know more about the injury.

EDIT: Hip fracture.
We still need to know more. I have fractured my pelvis twice, one kept me off of the bike for two weeks plus two more weeks of easy riding, while the other kept me off of the bike from July to October and then easy riding for the winter (it is still an issue 25 years later because of the way that it healed).
So, the only certainty that your post has taught me, is that you are at least 25 years old ;-)

Ashleigh Moolman Pasio suffered an iliac wing hip fracture back in 2016, after crashing in a time trial, was told it would be a month completely off the leg, then 3 months off the bike, she was back racing at a pro level 3 and half months later.

now fair enough I dont believe she required any surgery to fix anything, and it was a stable enough fracture, she could start her recovery more aggressively than perhaps would otherwise have been the case or some doctors would have recommended.

ultimately we dont know the full extent of Taos injury yet,surgery implies its more severe than Ashleighs injury was, but youd have to think its at the very least 4months minimum based on her recovery period.

Ashleigh Moolman Pasio suffered an iliac wing hip fracture back in 2016, after crashing in a time trial, was told it would be a month completely off the leg, then 3 months off the bike, she was back racing at a pro level 3 and half months later.

now fair enough I dont believe she required any surgery to fix anything, and it was a stable enough fracture, she could start her recovery more aggressively than perhaps would otherwise have been the case or some doctors would have recommended.

ultimately we dont know the full extent of Taos injury yet,surgery implies its more severe than Ashleighs injury was, but youd have to think its at the very least 4months minimum based on her recovery period.
I agree there’s no way for us to know yet, including because we are only getting the informational in colloquial terms. The hip is an area not a specific bone, though by using that term they may be indicating it’s a bone at the outer edge of the pelvis. That still makes it a pelvic fracture, which has some very unhappy connotations for cycling fans (Andy, Beloki, etc.)

Reactions: Sandisfan
"Complex fracture of the femur"

This still doesn't give us enough information to make any conclusions, but surgery is done, and now Tao's healing begins!
So, the only certainty that your post has taught me, is that you are at least 25 years old ;-)

I agree there’s no way for us to know yet, including because we are only getting the informational in colloquial terms. The hip is an area not a specific bone, though by using that term they may be indicating it’s a bone at the outer edge of the pelvis. That still makes it a pelvic fracture, which has some very unhappy connotations for cycling fans (Andy, Beloki, etc.)
"The patient underwent surgery during the evening to reduce and fix a complex fracture of the femur," the statement reads, indicating osteosynthesis with plates or screws, was also carried out."

Ineos have really had horrible luck when it comes to their top GC riders in the past couple of yearss. First Froome, then Bernal and now Tao have suffered serious injuries. I know they get a lot of stick for not repeating their 2010s success, but Froome and Bernal would likely have won a couple more GTs between them (maybe not the Tour) and Tao was looking as good as anyone this Giro.

Ineos have really had horrible luck when it comes to their top GC riders in the past couple of yearss. First Froome, then Bernal and now Tao have suffered serious injuries. I know they get a lot of stick for not repeating their 2010s success, but Froome and Bernal would likely have won a couple more GTs between them (maybe not the Tour) and Tao was looking as good as anyone this Giro.
Why wouldn't Froome have been the favourite for at least the 19 and 20 Tour? He finished 18 only slightly behind Thomas with riding and winning the last 3 GTs before it in a row. 19 Bernal and Thomas were the dominating force, 20 Porte finished 3rd with a relatively small margin to Pogacar and Roglic, so I actually would very much argue that injury free Froome would have been able to match that.

Why wouldn't Froome have been the favourite for at least the 19 and 20 Tour? He finished 18 only slightly behind Thomas with riding and winning the last 3 GTs before it in a row. 19 Bernal and Thomas were the dominating force, 20 Porte finished 3rd with a relatively small margin to Pogacar and Roglic, so I actually would very much argue that injury free Froome would have been able to match that.

2019 definitely.
2020 I think it would have been close, but it's hard to know how it would have played out. IMO, he would have finished with 2 minutes on Porte, which would put him within 30 secs of Roglic.