• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Taylor Phinney Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Is it the shoes?

AsPVhLvCMAAYynW.jpg

US Team Olympic Selection

Did Phinney just punch his ticket to London for the sole US TT spot? I know that the selection process is convoluted, but I think I remember winning a Grand Tour TT stage as being an automatic qualifier. Maybe it has to be a full length TT, and it's also possible I remember this incorrectly. Does anyone else know?

Bavarianrider said:
I must say i can't really undertsand why he is doing the Giro so.
Tour of California + Tour de France would have been a lot better i think.
Let's face it in the US nobody will take notice of his Rosa

Not true! Yesterday NBC (MAJOR Network) did a 1 hour special on the Giro...you can guess who the Star of the show was :)

Bavarianrider said:
And sorry i have to say it. All those rosa applications suck so bad.
A classy rider doesn't do this, sorry. Just wear the trikot and that's it. No need for all that gimmick rosa.

Yes I've posted before of the jinx of the GT Jersey colored bike.
Recall the yellow Schleck bike losing it when the chain slipped.
Eddy, Bernard and Greg would never have changed their steed.

It's a freakin Circus out there

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
Hard to understand, why Phinneys' managers would let Phinney ride in the dangerous positions of the peloton.
As a GC leader, Och, or whomever is directing the BMC/GIRO team ought to watch out for their talented marquis rider.
Two crashes in two days, that is uncalled for in the team.

Sep 28, 2011
cqmanager.net
Can somebody explain to me why would any rider "not exactly a sprinter" wearing Pink/Yellow jersey contest a sprint where (obviously) anything can happen?

Sure, he is trying to help Thor and play the "teammate" role but just being there was just stupid. What was he thinking?

CQM

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
CQmanager said:
Can somebody explain to me why would any rider "not exactly a sprinter" wearing Pink/Yellow jersey contest a sprint where (obviously) anything can happen?

Sure, he is trying to help Thor and play the "teammate" role but just being there was just stupid. What was he thinking?

CQM

Dont think he was contesting the sprint but rather just staying near the front. Just out of inexperience he stayed a bit too near the front. You generally find in races with less packed sprinter fields that you can even have GC contenders in the top 10 in sprints.

Froome19 said:
Dont think he was contesting the sprint but rather just staying near the front. Just out of inexperience he stayed a bit too near the front. You generally find in races with less packed sprinter fields that you can even have GC contenders in the top 10 in sprints.

He only has 9 seconds over Thomas who will tend to be near the front as he is doing leadouts. Its very easy for small gaps to appear n sprints and a lead that small could evoporate. He needs to be near the front to minimise the risk of that happening

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I'm looking for big things from Taylor and the Stetina boy.

That´s interesting.. :cool: Whereas I also really like Stetina for his modest, nice person he is, I absolutely dislike Phinney, who seems just arrogant. No doubt about his huge talent, but in terms of personality, he´s the opposite of guys like Stetina or e.g. Farrar.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
Froome19 said:

What Phinney, and the BMC management do not understand is this is not The Tour of Qatar,Oman, or a classic, where it would be great to see young Phinney at the front of a charging peloton.

Seeing Phinney going down with a wild bunch sprinter like Cav. and who was it Ferrari, in the beginning of a race is bad tactics for BMC.

Phinney is a man who if managed properly will win monuments, TT stages in GTs, perhaps medal in the Worlds TT/Olympics.

What he is doing in the front with the argy bargy field sprinters in the 2nd biggest GT of the world, when he might have been able to hold the Maglia Rosa for 7 days, lead his team to a TTT win and perhaps win the final TT, that is beyond comprehension.

Don Johnson

BANNED
May 3, 2012
Visit site
Richeypen said:
He only has 9 seconds over Thomas who will tend to be near the front as he is doing leadouts. Its very easy for small gaps to appear n sprints and a lead that small could evoporate. He needs to be near the front to minimise the risk of that happening

Are they giving out time bonus in the Giro this year?

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Richeypen said:

Yes that is what I meant, but he was still a bit too close to the front considering what happened yesterday.

As shown by this
Sprinting in the top fifteen positions of the bunch, possibly too close to the front according to Italian experts at the race, Phinney was taken down as a consequence of the pile up on the right side of Mark Cavendish.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
If he had been caught up in a crash further back in the bunch back people would say "what was he doing so far back? You have to be near the front to avoid crashes!"

Ya can't please everyone.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
orbeas said:
Thought you had to cross the finish line with your bike ??? When was this rule changed ???

Yes thats what I thought.Cavendish limped over the line with his bike on his shoulder for this very reason.According to the Eurosport commentators, Phinney crossed the line in the Ambulance?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
that is the old rule, the new rule is if crash happened inside 3km, you don't have to cross the finish line by yourself:D

simo1733 said:
Yes thats what I thought.Cavendish limped over the line with his bike on his shoulder for this very reason.According to the Eurosport commentators, Phinney crossed the line in the Ambulance?