• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2024 CQ Ranking Manager Thread

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Turner 81st today. I've given up any hope.
And Hagenes DNF after a crash. Out of GW too with a broken nose. I always expected his main points source to be smaller races later in the season, but I think the chances of him becoming a really great pick are more or less gone now. Then he would have shown himself in some of these big races too. Tratnik has shown that it's possible as long as you have the legs.

In general, there have been so many broken bones on my team this year. Hagenes, Oldani, Onley, Poole, Capiot, off the top of my head. And some other injuries too. But a lot of CQ teams are having issues, it seems. So until Ayuso gets back on the bike, there's not much to complain about for me sitting pretty in the top 10. But I would have been happier if Philipsen wasn't in the front group at MSR, so Pidcock could have won it.

And Hagenes DNF after a crash. Out of GW too with a broken nose. I always expected his main points source to be smaller races later in the season, but I think the chances of him becoming a really great pick are more or less gone now. Then he would have shown himself in some of these big races too. Tratnik has shown that it's possible as long as you have the legs.

In general, there have been so many broken bones on my team this year. Hagenes, Oldani, Onley, Poole, Capiot, off the top of my head. And some other injuries too. But a lot of CQ teams are having issues, it seems. So until Ayuso gets back on the bike, there's not much to complain about for me sitting pretty in the top 10. But I would have been happier if Philipsen wasn't in the front group at MSR, so Pidcock could have won it.
In addition, your expensive riders are mostly underperforming (again), yet despite all that you are somehow in the top-5 (again). Been meaning to ask this for a while, but what kind of sorcery are you employing?

Just to touch on something mentioned by a few posters earlier this week which was a suggestion of a younger/older riders classification - the problem with that is that while everyone has 33 riders, selection isn't age limited so teams will have different amounts of riders of different ages.

EvansIsTheBest did pull together a ranking of best newcomer teams last year when they were filling in for me on the updates, but I have not yet done so this year (and failed to pick up on it last year, sorry EITB). I do have covid right now so I'm a lot less busy than usual for the next few days so I'll try to work on that, gotta do something with my time!

Reactions: postmanhat
Just to touch on something mentioned by a few posters earlier this week which was a suggestion of a younger/older riders classification - the problem with that is that while everyone has 33 riders, selection isn't age limited so teams will have different amounts of riders of different ages.

Oh, I fully understand if it would be too much work for you to maintain another set of calculations. But for team managers, it would simply be a matter of deciding whether we want to focus on it.

And what you need to spent your time on is getting better!

---

Oh, hello! Søjberg winning stage 4 in Olympia's Tour!

Last edited:
Don't think this race is that bad for Laurance. Barely any sprinters here, and even with stage 4 likely being for Boven there are 2-3 good opportunities for him.
Nicely predicted! Didn't explain myself very well and was referring to him missing six weeks when he could have contested a lot of .1 and Pro one dayers. However, two wins in his two stage races is very promising, and his upcoming schedule looks more favourable. Will certainly be one of the most interesting riders to follow on my team this year.

Here are my potential riders for next week. Riders in bold are the ones who - for now - are scheduled for the Big One next Sunday.

Asgreen
Bendixen
Bévort
Bjerg
Blume Levy
Changizi

Gregaard
Honoré
Kragh
Norsgaard
Pedersen
Salby
Sander Hansen
Valgren
Wallin
Wandahl
Würtz

So, after two riders getting into profit this week, things might finally be starting to look up for me.

Last edited:
Turner 81st today. I've given up any hope.
Also thought there must be some long-term effect of his crash, but he looked stronger than he has for a year today. With a bit more luck, he can pick up some decent points in the next two weeks. After that it's a case of can Ineos be a bit more imaginative than using him as a luxury leadout for Viviani to finish 5-10 in a sprint.

Reactions: MADRAZO
Big week coming up with many races.

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya
HIGUITA Sergio
QUINTANA Nairo
BUSATTO Francesco
BERNAL Egan
TIBERI Antonio
COLLEONI Kevin

Settimana Internazionale Coppi e Bartali
PICCOLO Andrea
RYAN Archie
DEL TORO Isaac
VANDENABEELE Henri

Classic Brugge-De Panne
LAMPERTI Luke
MIHKELS Madis
WALLS Matthew
HODEG Álvaro José
MORGADO António
PICKRELL Riley

E3 Saxo Classic
HAGENES Per Strand
WRIGHT Fred
GIRMAY Biniam
MOSCON Gianni
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TURNER Ben

Gent-Wevelgem
GIRMAY Biniam
MIHKELS Madis
LAMPERTI Luke
WRIGHT Fred
MORGADO António
HODEG Álvaro José
HAGENES Per Strand
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TURNER Ben
PICKRELL Riley

La Roue Tourangelle
POLLEFLIET Gianluca
WALLS Matthew

Lets see what happens.
Okay-ish week.

Some riders doing well and some not. It is what it is, but it will do to stay up there in the rankings for a little longer!

Okay-ish week.

Some riders doing well and some not. It is what it is, but it will do to stay up there in the rankings for a little longer!
I'd say you did more than okayish. 13th best for the week by my calculations. Tiberi was a good differential for you and you had the popular big scorers in Ryan and Bernal and most importantly there were not that many popular riders that you don't have that scored overly well.

Reactions: Salvarani
Update #10: rote laterne in pole position

While the Fine Young Cannibal Tadej Pogacar took basically as many points as one could at a 1-week stage race in Catalunya, the presence of 3 other WT-level classics this week meant that it wasn't a lock that the 2 teams that had Pog would be on top, as it takes a team of 33 to succeed in this game. Let's see where things ended up!

This Week's Top Scorers

RankTeamPoints this week
1rote_laterne745
2PandaClaws736
3Amethyst712
4Gotland710
5JumboVismaFan677
5Jakob747677

The week belonged to rote laterne in the end, who got a very solid 745 points from an abundance of decent scoring riders. Chief among them was Egan Bernal, whose return to the WT podium was undoubtedly cheered on by many, but more specifically his 172 points in the CQ game were a delight to his 43 team owners. rote also had two other triple digit scorers in WvA (112 points, 6 teams), Enric Mas (113, 14), and solid contributions from Girmay (83, 48), Stian Edvardsen-Fredheim (62, 6) and Laurance (56, 31).

Very close behind - only 9 points - was PandaClaws, who nabbed 736 on the week thanks to Bernal and Mas as headliners, but also impressive neo-pro Archie Ryan (105, 56), Johathan Milan (86, 9), Girmay and Laurance. Amethyst was one of the two teams with Pogacar, who would have finished 27th this week if he was a team of one, scoring 502 points.

This Week's High Movers

RankTeamUp/down
1rote_laterne(+19)
2armchairclimber(+15)
3JumboVismaFan(+12)
4pman(+11)
4Gotland(+11)

rote laterne doubles up, moving up almost 20 spots in the overall standings. armchairclimber, despite being only 16th in the Top Scorers ranking, gets 2nd here, moving up 15 spots with Bernal and Ryan and an undercard of Tiberi (95, 15) and the continuingly impressive Lenny Martinez (91, 11). JVF gets 3rd, moving up 12 spots.

Green Jersey Competition

RankTeamTotal
1shalgo152
2Jakob747141
3repre104
4skidmark80
4Shakes80

Jakob747 narrows shalgo's formidable lead here, scoring 21 points on the week in a tie for 5th, pulling within 11 points (basiscally a top 10 weekly finish) of first. No one else in the top 5 scored this week.

Top 10 Overall

RankUp/downTeamPoints
1(-)shalgo5261
2(-)skidmark4613
3(-)repre4474
4(+1)MADRAZO4445
5(-1)Squire4421
6(-)Salvarani4370
7(+4)Jakob7474307
8(+10)Total Package4160
9(+12)JumboVismaFan4138
10(-3)JPettersen4127

The podium here remains the same, although a little more stratified - team skidmark gains 47 points on shalgo, although it would take 15 more weeks at that rate to overturn shalgo's lead, which remains robust. repre loses ground and has work to do to hold off MADRAZO, Squire and those beyond for the last podium place. Further down, Jakob747 makes a return to the top 10, alongside Total Package and JumboVismaFan, while DJ Sprtsch, Lortnoc and oliveira fall out.

This week is relatively quiet in CQ terms, with only one-day races (those with classics-focused teams, rejoice). But 'only' doesn't adequately describe the last race of the week, which of course is our second monument of the season, the Ronde van Vlaanderen.

spreadsheet link

Have the 2023 and 2024 columns been switched?
And why aren't I getting my points for Gregaard finishing Catalunya?
(He's still listed as WILSLY Jonas Gregaard on CQ.)
Yeah whoops, year columns got mislabelled. That's fixed.

The reason Gregaard isn't getting points is for the exact reason you highlight - he's WILSLY Jonas Gregaard on CQ, but GREGAARD WILSLY Jonas on your team, as well as the one other team that picked him... that leads me to believe it's changed to the current ordering in CQ sometime between the start of the year and now. I'll change the sheet to match CQ, thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: search
Many races this week.

Dwars door Vlaanderen
HODEG Álvaro José
MOSCON Gianni
GIRMAY Biniam
MIHKELS Madis
TARLING Joshua
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TURNER Ben
CAPIOT Amaury
WRIGHT Fred
PICKRELL Riley
POLLEFLIET Gianluca

Paris - Camembert
-

Route Adélie de Vitré
WALLS Matthew

Gran Premio Miguel Indurain
CARAPAZ Richard
PICCOLO Andrea

RYAN Archie
LEEMREIZE Gijs
AYUSO Juan
CHRISTEN Jan

DEL TORO Isaac

Barely anyone listed here yet, so will hopefully be able to update as it gets closer.

Volta NXT Classic
BUSATTO Francesco
MIHKELS Madis

Ronde van Vlaanderen
GIRMAY Biniam
MOSCON Gianni
WRIGHT Fred
SHEFFIELD Magnus
TARLING Joshua
TURNER Ben
MORGADO António
HAGENES Per Strand