• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The much needed UCI loller thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't think P-R in Fall should be a thing permanently, but it's a neat backup plan if having it in the Spring is completely impossible, and not even doing like last year - where it got swapped with AGR - is an option.
But... hopefully we won't have another situation where the whole freaking World gets shut down again!

Check those sock lengths!
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...-sanctions-for-non-compliant-clothing-in-2024
Going forward into 2024, there will be harsher sanctions for riders and teams who fall foul of the rules regarding compliant clothing the UCI has announced.
As of the 1st of January, fines for any riders who wear non-compliant clothing will be up to 2000 Swiss Francs, the equivalent of £1805, $2262 or €2075. This is on top of potential disqualification from the race with riders also at risk of being docked points in the UCI rankings for various violations.
Further changes made by the UCI include upping the fine for failing to wear the race leader’s jersey from 500 CHF to 1000 CHF. Whilst for anyone wearing non-compliant clothing for podium ceremonies, riders in the men’s WorldTour can now be docked up to 15 UCI points, on top of a fine of 500 CHF, or 5 points in the Women’s WorldTour.

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Has anyone ever refused to wear it? Why?

I suppose poorer fit/technology in a timetrial skinsuit might be a reason, but has it happened?

Skjelmose at the Tour of Denmark. His zipper got stuck, which I suppose would qualify as "poor technology".

When I had to go in and have my last pee, the zipper got caught
Sounds potentially a lot more problematic than having to change skinsuit.
I had to cut it open to get it off.
He's still talking about the skinsuit, yes?

However
we actually asked Erik Kasler (sporting responsible for the race, ed.) for permission, and fortunately we were allowed to do so
so presumably there would not have been a fine anyway. So quite what point the UCI are trying to make in doubling he fine seems unclear.

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq

He's still talking about the skinsuit, yes?

However

so presumably there would not have been a fine anyway. So quite what point the UCI are trying to make in doubling he fine seems unclear.
I think it is mainly the TT stages we're talking about when teams spend a lot of money and time on TT-outfits and then get disadvantaged by being a leader in the GC. But the likes of UAE & Visma have money to burn so it's just another cost for them.

Yes, like he said; he didn't wanna ride with his skinsuit being open.
Not stuck like that... get your mind out of the gutter!

I did realise afterwards that it wasn't the best example.

Piff! Pow! Oof! The verbal aggro continues - from Maynar this time. Lappartient must be feeling like a punch-bag now.

https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...ne-against-everyone-who-has-been-on-that-team
"As we all know from what happened to the good Alberto Contador, why he didn't denounce the UCI or go to the ordinary courts when they put him for that famous 0.001 of an anabolic substance, because if he signed and went against the UCI they wouldn't let him enter the world of the WorldTour, which is a mafia."

Not content with the previous volley of verbal buckshot, Bruyneel opens up again, in his own "special media operation" against UCI Prez Lappartient
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...nothing-johan-bruyneel-fumes-at-uci-president
"This holy omnipresent David, he is everywhere! The most important thing for him is to be seen next to important and influential figures: the Pope, President Macron, the President of Korea, his friend Thomas Bach, the Golden Ball, and so on," Bruyneel rants via his X (Twitter) account in response to a video Lappartient riding alongside Tadej Pogacar. "All with one specific goal: the presidency of the IOC." "What many know, but no one ever says: he is not that interested in cycling," Bruyneel continues. "The worst part is that he will succeed in his plan, because sooner or later he will get there. In the meantime, he travels around the world to perform his dozens of official functions. Getting half a million euros a year for doing nothing at the UCI ... you have to do it anyway."