• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Patrick Lefevere Depreciation Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kasper Asgreen
Milano - Sanremo: 36th
E3 Harelbeke: 51st
Ronde van Vlaanderen: 7th :openmouth:
Paris-Roubaix: DNF

Yves Lampaert
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: 71st
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne: 75th
Milano-Sanremo: 20th
Classic Brugge - De Panne: 3rd :cool:
E3 Harelbeke: 16th
Gent-Wevelgem: 67th
Ronde van Vlaanderen: 41st
Paris-Roubaix: 24th

Julian Alaphilippe
Faun Ardèche Classic: 1st :cool:
Faun Drôme Classic: 16th
Strade Bianchi: 43rd
Milano-Sanremo: 11th
E3 Harelbeke: DNF
Dwars door Vlaanderen: 29th
Ronde van Vlaanderen: 51st

Quite a spectacular failure by their main men. Only Tim Merlier got his expected level.

When Alaphilippe isn't living up to his contract, Lefevere has no problem talking about it in public.

When Evenepoel puts pressure on the team, it is suddenly you signed a contract and you better stick to it.
Evenepoel just has to start sandbagging and Lefevere will want him out of his contract too.

To the photo of Patrick next to his BMW, watching the race:

Patrick appears to be broken. The usual fire has left his eyes and face. The body language tells the same.

Of course he enjoys Remco‘s success, as if Remco was his son.

But Patrick‘s heart beats for the „Flandriens“ within his team. The Lampaerts’, Asgreens et al.. That is what this team is about.

And these guys have disappointed him bitterly now, for two springs in a row…
I think Remco has probably agreed to sign for Ineos. Remco was on Thomas's podcast yesterday and the feeling I got was Thomas knows he's at Ineos with him the next two years. Someone else has stated Roglic turned down 8M from Ineos, so the money is there imo. 5M I reckon.

Roglic turned down 8M? Where does that come from?

Yeah I haven't read or heard anything about that. The closest "news" I've come cross regarding Rog's future was in a recent Slovenian article which reported Rog said last November he was definitely staying at Jumbo for another year (this season) but beyond that he didn't know: https://www.rtvslo.si/sport/kolesar...-ekipe-da-bi-osvojil-dirko-po-franciji/675952

"There is always some speculation, but we all know that I still have a contract with our team. How much time yet? Surely another year. We will see everything else. After all, nothing is fixed in life. We are all looking for optimal routes in all areas and each for ourselves. I, too, will try to arrange the best possible conditions for myself, wherever I am," said Roglič last November.

Reactions: Sandisfan
BTW, on the topic of Evenpoel & Lefevere, the 'argument' about a potential transfer has to be about money IMO because it's not like Ineos (because that's the name that gets repeated in the conversation) offer more guarantees in the Tour versus Vingegaard than Quick-Step does.

I mean there's a huge elephant in the room called Jonas Vingegaard here. So all the talk about optimising Evenepoel's TdF hopes via a transfer just seem like a sideways step, or at best a small little tiptoe forward.

Every rider who targets the Tour faces the exact same problem.

Not defending Pat here, but I agree that since the post covid, Ineos is not exactly the super team that used to be. Cycling changed in recent years, and they are still stuck doing their mountain train like in the days of peak Froome. Honestly I just get the feeling that Ineos is not the right enviroment for Remco.

Not defending Pat here, but I agree that since the post covid, Ineos is not exactly the super team that used to be. Cycling changed in recent years, and they are still stuck doing their mountain train like in the days of peak Froome. Honestly I just get the feeling that Ineos is not the right enviroment for Remco.

Sure, but Remco is a strong character. Unlike someone like Vingegaard, he would definitely come forward with his inputs regarding tactics.

Not only Quick-Step needs to up the game at the Tour de France. Remco also needs to get stronger. A clear Vuelta win would show that.
The old Sky train would be the best for him in high mountains. Nevertheless Vingegaard and Pog on his day wouldn't be stopped by a mointain train.

Reactions: Cookster15
I really don't think intangibles as character and team environment play much of a role here.

Evenepoel signed his current contract in 2021 IIRC, when his market value was taking a hit. And maybe he left more money on the table at that point, but now he's in a long ass contract while his actual worth is significantly more than he's getting.

In addition, he's not getting team support he's been promised for years. He has every reason to want out of his contract.

But given that he's young, on a long contract, and underpaid I'd also guess that the buy out required is enormous.

Sure, but Remco is a strong character. Unlike someone like Vingegaard, he would definitely come forward with his inputs regarding tactics.
Just because Remco is an extrovert and Jonas an introvert doesn't mean that one has more tactical input than the other. I think given the type of characters you have on Ineos now there's certainly a difference with the more testosterone-driven environment that Lefevere tries to create, and which seems to suit Evenepoel. Quickstep is all rancour and revenge, Ineos is a bit more laidback these days, or at least it seems that way from the outside. To the point that sometimes you wonder if they still want to win races.

Just because Remco is an extrovert and Jonas an introvert doesn't mean that one has more tactical input than the other. I think given the type of characters you have on Ineos now there's certainly a difference with the more testosterone-driven environment that Lefevere tries to create, and which seems to suit Evenepoel. Quickstep is all rancour and revenge, Ineos is a bit more laidback these days, or at least it seems that way from the outside. To the point that sometimes you wonder if they still want to win races.

We can take Geraint Thomas as an example. As much is I truly like him as a person, he has been riding on Ineos for 14 years now, and it shows on his tactical nous. He doesn't get why people attack in Grand Tours instead of conserving energy, he can't see why teammates of GC contenders should go on the attack (in the Netflix series he somehow came to the conclusion that it was a big risk to let Pidcock get a shot at the Alpe d'Huez stage). He probably doesn't realise that he could have won the Giro with a different approach. Roglic was there for the taking in some stages, but no, let's preserve status quo and let the TT decide. Jumbo do the exact opposite when they don't have as vulnerable a leader as in that Giro and look at all the success that gives them.

The conservatism of the team is really grating but certainly a set of fresh eyes (sitting in the face of the most attacking rider of the century) would give a new perspective that could reinvigorate them.

And yes, it would help that Remco is ready to share his thoughts and is not meek of character (this isn't intended as a jab at Vingegaard, but I totally would expect him to conform to what the team environment dictates).

Current public talks in between Patrick and Patrick could still be about getting more money and better conditions in the future. By staying in this team till the contract expires. Or at least through 2024. But all in all at some point one of the top talents will likely sign for Ineos. It will be interesting to see if that will enable Ineos to move forward. As current budget and results are not optimal.

It's funny Sagan, Froome, Bernal and so so many more contracts and pay out are horrible investments. Remco testing the waters only makes sense the UCI doesn't protect riders, teams or sponsors.. If Remco actually jumps ship, and Alberto Contador of all people called it right.. Not so much for Quick Step or Remco..but the earthquake will be for sponsors that contracts under current system mean zilch...nothing.. nada..toilet paper.. Can't believe that this is a thing in PROFESSIONAL cycling.. renegotiate sure but this is just dirty and petty.. Unprofessional

It's funny Sagan, Froome, Bernal and so so many more contracts and pay out are horrible investments. Remco testing the waters only makes sense the UCI doesn't protect riders, teams or sponsors.. If Remco actually jumps ship, and Alberto Contador of all people called it right.. Not so much for Quick Step or Remco..but the earthquake will be for sponsors that contracts under current system mean zilch...nothing.. nada..toilet paper.. Can't believe that this is a thing in PROFESSIONAL cycling.. renegotiate sure but this is just dirty and petty.. Unprofessional
Bernal wasn’t a horrible investment for INEOS, the guy won 2 GT’s, Suisse, Paris-Nice and other races before his accident.

Bernal wasn’t a horrible investment for INEOS, the guy won 2 GT’s, Suisse, Paris-Nice and other races before his accident.
When 2+ years of a pro bike racer's contract go resultless..many would consider that money not well spent. Although looking at it, maybe pro teams should anticipate paying riders to lay in the hospital for one year and wait out pandemics.. I personally think Bernal will be firing on all cylinders next year.. Love the guy..

When 2+ years of a pro bike racer's contract go resultless..many would consider that money not well spent. Although looking at it, maybe pro teams should anticipate paying riders to lay in the hospital for one year and wait out pandemics.. I personally think Bernal will be firing on all cylinders next year.. Love the guy..
Not really. in cycling it is expected that a certain portion of the contract will be winless due to injuries, mechanicals, imperfect training, adjustment to the team and circumstances beyond their control. Even top legends in the sport have had such seasons. Bernal has already won 2 GTs in his 5 years with the team which is really good. Girmay is also a good example, breakthrough last year and this year is nothing. The years pay is basically back pay for the previous years achievement

Not really. in cycling it is expected that a certain portion of the contract will be winless due to injuries, mechanicals, imperfect training, adjustment to the team and circumstances beyond their control. Even top legends in the sport have had such seasons. Bernal has already won 2 GTs in his 5 years with the team which is really good. Girmay is also a good example, breakthrough last year and this year is nothing. The years pay is basically back pay for the previous years achievement
Girmay has won a couple races this year including at WT level, also some top 10’s at the Tour in finishes that didn’t suit him.