• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 969 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
🤔Maybe his future leader
I would like nothing better than them doing more races together, and working for each other when they have different targets. Van Wilder is following a slow trajectory and wants to make sure he doesn't peak early in his career (maybe even before his physical prime) and burn out fast. He has not entered the "weighing your food" phase yet and should have quite a bit of room to improve still (even though others his age and younger seem to have hit their ceiling already). So i wouldn't be surprised if in the future he would at the very least be a co-leader in some races, or even leader in case Evenepoel is targeting a different race a bit later.

Last edited:
In my opinion Remco still has a chance making it to the Tour in reasonable form, likely not at 100%
He should be able to get completely ready for the TDF. He’s even riding the Dauphine or Suisse, which he wouldn’t do if he wasn’t able to perform at the highest level in the Tour. He would train more, so he’s fine.

Now that Vingegaard isn’t riding the Dauphine, that’s also a great shot to win that. Just hope they ride more aggressive in the first stages compared to Paris-Nice.

@Berniece

The only reason Remco is already cheering vigorously at a football match is due to modern medicine. That is one gets a metal plate installed to align a broken bone and from the outside world the heeling process looks much quicker. The bone itself still needs weeks to heal properly. So although it's manageable i feel that injury will affect his Tour form to some extent.
He will be fine, unless he had broken in the past the collarbone several times.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He will be fine, unless he had broken in the past the collarbone several times.

I don't particularity like such attitude as it gives impression it's basically nothing and you are fine after a day or two. Previous injuries likely wouldn't make much difference as the plate will likely stay in the body for a while. There could be issues with positioning on the bike and similar. The only good thing about it is it is likely still manageable, that is Remco can reach reasonable form till the Tour start.

@Berniece

The only reason Remco is already cheering vigorously at a football match is due to modern medicine. That is one gets a metal plate installed to align a broken bone and from the outside world the heeling process looks much quicker. The bone itself still needs weeks to heal properly. So although it's manageable i feel that injury will affect his Tour form to some extent.
Since he, and the team said the Tour isn’t in danger, and since he’s going on altitude starting this weekend, I don’t see an issue with his TDF preparation

I don't particularity like such attitude as it gives impression it's basically nothing and you are fine after a day or two. Previous injuries likely wouldn't make much difference as the plate will likely stay in the body for a while. There could be issues with positioning on the bike and similar. The only good thing about it is it is likely still manageable, that is Remco can reach reasonable form till the Tour start.
No, but happened 3 months before the Tour, and the team said he will be fine.

Reactions: RedheadDane
He should be able to get completely ready for the TDF. He’s even riding the Dauphine or Suisse, which he wouldn’t do if he wasn’t able to perform at the highest level in the Tour. He would train more, so he’s fine.

Now that Vingegaard isn’t riding the Dauphine, that’s also a great shot to win that. Just hope they ride more aggressive in the first stages compared to Paris-Nice.
Dauphine should be a good race vs Roglic

Reactions: Oldermanish
@Berniece

The bones need months to heal because most people won't stop playing once the pain goes away.