• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Sidebar Thread

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

hrotha said:
No but seriously, we all agree this is wildly inappropriate, right?

Seriously? Who is "we"? Why would we all agree? Who appointed you to say we all agree? What's inappropriate about it?

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
IMO, pinning this thread helps bury the primary thread about Contador that contains a more balanced view of his doping. I don't think either of the two threads was noteworthy enough to be pinned.

If you actually take the time to read the thread, you see that it's not about Contador as a person so much as it is about doping and the role doping plays in the peloton, and about a leader in the peloton who stands up to the tyranny and corruption that has always controlled him and the other riders. We can contrast this to a fake hero of your choice who pretends to be something he isn't, a white bread exemplar of Christian purity and magic miracles, despite all evidence to the contrary.

The Tour de France is a hard race and hard work wins it. There are no secrets. Right?

The thread was stickied temporarily.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Please don't go hyperbolic over something so trivial. It'll be unstickied just as fast as it was stickied.

If you have an issue with the thread, just don't read it. :)

The discussion over this thread being stickied is off topic, if you would like to continue it please do so in the moderators thread.

Cheers :)

Re: Re:

Maxiton said:
If you actually take the time to read the thread, you see that it's not about Contador as a person so much as it is about doping and the role doping plays in the peloton, and about a leader in the peloton who stands up to the tyranny and corruption that has always controlled him and the other riders. We can contrast this to a fake hero of your choice who pretends to be something he isn't, a white bread exemplar of Christian purity and magic miracles, despite all evidence to the contrary.

The Tour de France is a hard race and hard work wins it. There are no secrets. Right?

Maybe if YOU would take time to read the thread you would see that I have been posting my opinions here as well. Thank you for your concern, but I know what this thread is about. And my opinion is that both are fake heroes. One more palatable socially than the other, but that is just splitting hairs IMO.

Re:

Irondan said:

Please don't go hyperbolic over something so trivial. It'll be unstickied just as fast as it was stickied.

The discussion over this thread being stickied is off topic, if you would like to continue it please do so in the moderators thread.

Agreed.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

roundabout said:
Irondan said:

Considering that I asked why this thread was made a sticky in the moderators thread over 45 hours ago and didn't get any response I am not sure whether to take your suggestion fully seriously.

Edit: and how long does it take to unsticky a thread anyway?

Discuss it in the Moderators thread for as long as you like, just as Irondan said. That doesn't mean your discussion merits a response from the moderators.

May 14, 2010
Visit site

djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:

Maybe if YOU would take time to read the thread you would see that I have been posting my opinions here as well. Thank you for your concern, but I know what this thread is about. And my opinion is that both are fake heroes. One more palatable socially than the other, but that is just splitting hairs IMO.

You thought I was contrasting Contador with Armstrong? Think again.

Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:

No, I knew who you were probably talking about and that is why I never actually said Armstrong in my reply. Did I?

May 14, 2010
Visit site

djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:
djpbaltimore said:
Maxiton said:

No, I knew who you were probably talking about and that is why I never actually said Armstrong in my reply. Did I?

No, you didn't. I stand corrected. Cheers.

Re:

Irondan said:

What's the hold-up?

Bronstein said:
Irondan said:

What's the hold-up?

Is it in your way?

It's rather unclear why posters who ostensibly come to precisely this site for a discussion of cycling and doping would have a problem with a meta-thread that actually acknowledges the imbrication of doping throughout the sport--rather than repressing the issue and dealing with this or that particular rider--and invites speculation as to what that means for the sport as a whole and for all of those who continue to be involved with it. In any capacity.

Not unlike what blackcat was working out in the "cheating" thread.