• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

These Amstels are making me thirsty! 2024 Women's Amstel Gold Race, April 14

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win this year's race?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Next to her career in cycling Lorena Wiebes has been trying everything to get her brother back on track. He's a former coke addict who lived on the streets. So sorry if she doesn't correspond to your holy moral code, I don't think she gives a f.ck.
Did I ever say she should? No. Besides, Mark Cavendish was an absolute star for Jonny Bellis, doesn't stop him having been an absolute tool with most other people early in his career. A sportsman's career is short and she has every right to maximise her earnings, but I reserve the right to dislike when she uses bad faith dealings and tramples all over others to do so.

I‘m just saying, doing something good doesn’t mean you‘re immune to detractors and doing wrong.
No, but this kind of character assassination is uncalled-for. Anytime Wiebes appears in a race it's how about she's the devil incarnate for breaking a contract at some point. I mean, I'm not necessarily a fan of Wiebes, although I do like her transformation to almost more of a puncheur, but this is just malicious.

And the comparison to Lance and OJ kind of proves my point...

It's the arrogance of celebrating early which never fails to entertain. Every single time. This one was particularly 'out there' in terms of suspension of disbelief because she had no reason to ever assume she was safe. Vos was right there.

And then the tears afterwards... *chef's kiss*

I only half jest as well because there's only one way such a huge mistake can be fixed & that's owning it. All Wiebes had to do was ride up to Vos, congratulate her & then apologise to her own team... & joke about it for good measure because it's only sport.

The only bad thing about this finish is that with Vos winning, they might not change the course.

Oh, and skinsuits. All skinsuits in road races should be banned because dignity is more important than aerodynamics.

No, but this kind of character assassination is uncalled-for. Anytime Wiebes appears in a race it's how about she's the devil incarnate for breaking a contract at some point. I mean, I'm not necessarily a fan of Wiebes, although I do like her transformation to almost more of a puncheur, but this is just malicious.

And the comparison to Lance and OJ kind of proves my point...
The comparison to Lance and OJ was
a) not made by me
b) an example of the reductio ad absurdum argument.

The argument being presented was that because she had done some good for her brother, that it was unfair to call her out on things she has done that are bad. That's why I raised the Mark Cavendish example. The Lance example is just a more extreme one because most people at this stage would obviously view Lance as bad because of all the things he did and the livelihoods he destroyed in protection of his cult of personality, and at this point invoking Lance is kind of cycling's equivalent to Godwin's Law.

I don't think nicknaming Wiebes "Little Miss Contract Law" is malicious. Especially not when she's done it twice - and insisted on a clause entitling her to do it again in later contracts. While loyalty may be fleeting, the way she did it rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way, and it's the kind of stigma that stays with people and makes them less attractive signings in future if they aren't talented enough to overcome it - fortunately for Lorena, she very much is.

Last edited:
So even Wiebes points out that the change in parcours made it easier for her to be there at the finish.

Also that she basically had to scream at Longo Borghini to let her know she was there and stop her sprinting on the crab - I did think there was going to be a crash on that side watching it live. I mean, Wiebes (who is hardly a stranger to sprinting like a bull in a china shop) is a lot more well versed in the sprint arts than Longo Borghini and though Elisa has improved greatly in the last couple of years, she is still nevertheless far less used to mixing it up in that environment than Wiebes is. Not in a group larger than about 10 anyway, and there you have far more room to play with.

Reactions: jmdirt