• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2025 route rumours and announcements

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
what climb is that?

The rankings I have seen of Finestre (albeit more than 10 years ago) puts it well harder than Mortirolo, Zoncolon, and Angliru. Mainly due to the length, the constant gradient providing no rest, as well as the final 8km being gravel. The climb you posted likely would be harder, however
Babadag in Turkey. Raced last year in Tour of Turkey-
tour-of-turkey-2023-stage-3-climb-n2-92ef782018.jpg

Reactions: Sandisfan
Two good ways to order a route with both Finestre and Granon, one south to north, one north to south;

Stage n: ??? - Gap (obligatory if they enter the Alps from the south)
Stage n+1: Embrun or Gap - Granon (Vars, Izoard)
Stage n+2: Briançon - Sestrière (Galibier, Mont Cenis, Finestre)
(transfer through the Fréjus tunnel)
Stage n+3: Modane or Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne - somewhere further north in the Alps

Stage n: ??? - Granon (Galibier)
Stage n+1: Briançon - Sestrière (either the same route as in the previous example, or if you don't want to double up on climbs, Izoard, Montgenèvre, Finestre)
Stage n+2: Pinerolo - southern French Alps (e.g. Lombarde - Bonette - Jausiers finish like in 2008)
Vars, Izoard, Granon would be great, though I would not be surprised if they skip Vars in that case.

My dream Finestre stage is with Sestriere, Montgenevre and downhill finish in Briancon.

IMO 2018 showed the difference in how hard you need to make the race before Finestre.

Vars, Izoard, Granon would be great, though I would not be surprised if they skip Vars in that case.

My dream Finestre stage is with Sestriere, Montgenevre and downhill finish in Briancon.

IMO 2018 showed the difference in how hard you need to make the race before Finestre.

Val d'Isere - Briancon would definitely be a fantastic design for the queen stage indeed (Iseran, Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere,Montgenevre + uphill Briancon). Even more if they do the Giro finish in Briancon.

Val d'Isere - Briancon would definitely be a fantastic design for the queen stage indeed (Iseran, Mont Cenis, Finestre, Sestriere,Montgenevre + uphill Briancon). Even more if they do the Giro finish in Briancon.
They also use that Briançon finish sometimes in the Dauphiné, e.g. in 2009. I seem to recall some discussion at the time about how the larger caravan etc. requirements made it off-limits to the Tour and so they had to use the main road route in like in 2007, but new changes have meant that the Tour is better able to service finishes in tighter areas so it may have changed and that finish be possible now.

They also use that Briançon finish sometimes in the Dauphiné, e.g. in 2009. I seem to recall some discussion at the time about how the larger caravan etc. requirements made it off-limits to the Tour and so they had to use the main road route in like in 2007, but new changes have meant that the Tour is better able to service finishes in tighter areas so it may have changed and that finish be possible now.
The real problem with the Briançon finish is that they've completely overhauled the area in which they finished (Tour, Giro and Dauphiné alike), which means you now need to block the only through road completely to finish above the citadel.