• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Hongrie 2024-05-08 to 2024-05-12 ; 8th of May to 12th of May 2024

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

The race

• Yes

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Also Yes but No

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters
I think stage 5 will be to hard for Nys.
That's possible, but i would not really count on it per se. The thing is in the past he has been inconsistent and therefor hard to predict. Even getting dropped out of the back of the peloton last year in flat stages. But if he's climbing like he has been lately, and given his weight, i wouldn't assume a 1.7km climb at 10% is out of his league in this field. Today's stage finished in a 3.4km at 8%, for comparison.

Reactions: Sandisfan
That's possible, but i would not really count on it per se. The thing is in the past he has been inconsistent and therefor hard to predict. Even getting dropped out of the back of the peloton last year in flat stages. But if he's climbing like he has been lately, and given his weight, i wouldn't assume a 1.7km climb at 10% is out of his league in this field. Today's stage finished in a 3.4km at 8%, for comparison.
it is 2x 5.1km 6.8% and then the finish 2.3km 8.3%, all in 40km. so it is not like in romandia from the leading group or like today with 10km 3/4% and then 3km 7/8%. it will be Poels/Buchmann/Voisard/Ulissi and Hirschi against him. this is something new for him.

it is 2x 5.1km 6.8% and then the finish 2.3km 8.3%, all in 40km. so it is not like in romandia from the leading group or like today with 10km 3/4% and then 3km 7/8%. it will be Poels/Buchmann/Voisard/Ulissi and Hirschi against him. this is something new for him.
More but shorter efforts should not suit him less than one longer one, rather the opposite imho. He's turning into more of an Alaphilippe type of rider i feel. But it's quite possible it will prove too hard for him, who knows, we just don't have enough references yet to gauge him. I just don't think shorter and steeper climbs would work against him here. Voisard, Ulissi, Hirschi... aren't Pogacar or Evenepoel. Just imagine he rode for UAE.

More but shorter efforts should not suit him less than one longer one, rather the opposite imho. He's turning into more of an Alaphilippe type of rider i feel. But it's quite possible it will prove too hard for him, who knows, we just don't have enough references yet to gauge him. I just don't think shorter and steeper climbs would work against him here. Voisard, Ulissi, Hirschi... aren't Pogacar or Evenepoel. Just imagine he rode for UAE.
The problem is that he is very irregular. As a good sprinter (but not a topsprinter) often not able to sprint even at the end of flat stages. Not even at the end of a more tough race (Eschborn, only 13th in a group of 35). But sometimes able to beat stronger guys in a uphill sprint. In theory, the last two stages suit him better than the stage he won (beating climbers and punchers at the end of a longer climb). But I fear that he will have a(nother) bad day one of the next two stages. If not, he could win another stage and the GC.

Nys was "robbed". The difference with nr. 3 etc (so Ullisi, Buchmann) was at least 3 to 4 seconds.

Nys could definitely use those seconds. He was strong during the longer climb in the queen stage, but only an average 5,5 %. Yesterday, the uphill finish of 1,5 km, average 6,1 %, suited puncher Nys very well. But today it's a 2,4 km uphill finish with an average of 8,8 % (to compare the Flèche Wallonne finish is "only 1,4 km at 9,7 %). That's already a difficult climb, more suited for climbers (Buchmann) and second degree climbers/punchers (Ullisi, Hirshi). Nys is definitely not a climber and at his young age not yet a second degree climber/puncher. So, I expect Bohra and UAE to set a high pace from the start of the climb. Forcing Nys to go in the red and explode at 1 km of the finish. Loosing the general to Buchman, Ullisi or even Hirschi. The only chance for Nys to limit the damage is having superlegs and benefiting from a (too) slow pace for the first part of the climb. But I don't think this will be the case.