• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Welcome to our two new mods!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
reading above we are all doomed.........when knetteman's own daughter is now a pro cyclist..............i also

quip in 'wear your bans with pride.............new mods when you reintroduce myself to the ban hammer

i will take it in good humour.................

Mark L

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
BigMac? Well, it was nice knowing you guys. I'm screwed.

Nobody is screwed Chewbacca, I'm not that kind of person.

darwin553 said:
Bigmac? You're kidding me right? Just like that great decision to anoint Afrank a moderator - this won't last. Mark my words.

You are entitled to your doubts. I hope I can undo them in the future.
You're asexual? o_O

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site

Jspear said:
The invitation went out. You could have volunteered yourself.

I have been asked in the past. As I said then, and as I still feel now - I literally wouldn't mod here even if the position paid. There is no more thankless sh!t sandwich than being a CN mod. I have been both mod and admin in various places since around 2002. I actually know what I'm talking about, and dealing with - which is why I would never want to be a mod here.

mrhender said:
Maybe to "succeed" as a new mod, and relatively new user Irondan should be given some friendly advice and constructive criticism from a seasoned poster? Maybe even in private?

Instead it seems like a public "I told you so"....

But you are of course free to do as you wish..

When the brand new mod feels that he has to edit an entirely harmless post on his very first day, then delete my entirely civil reply about him unnecessarily editing a harmless post, I worry where his ego is going to lead him, and I question his judgement.

BigMac said:

After your recent 'performance' in US politics, I can only share Chewey's doubts and concerns. Despite being repeatedly corrected by more informed (American) posters, you continued to insist on your bizarre, pig headed, and quite frankly offensive, views about the Confederate flag. That alone gives me plenty of cause for concern. Perhaps avoiding US politics would be a good start.

Amsterhammer said:
BigMac said:

After your recent 'performance' in US politics, I can only share Chewey's doubts and concerns. Despite being repeatedly corrected by more informed (American) posters, you continued to insist on your bizarre, pig headed, and quite frankly offensive, views about the Confederate flag. That alone gives me plenty of cause for concern. Perhaps avoiding US politics would be a good start.

It's a bit ironic that you think being a CN mod is a ''thankless ...'' job and then come up with this yourself. There was nothing from what I posted in those threads that could make you think I will do for a bad moderator. Again, you are entitled to your doubts, but a simple ''I have my doubts'' and a future ''I told you so'', should that be in order, would suffice. What Chewbacca was implying, as you very well know, was that because I took a position opposed to his (and yours) then, somehow, I'll use my powers undeservedly in some sort of crusade against him. No worries - as I said, I don't play those games. I think my position on the flag issue hasn't been made very clear to you, either.

That said, I told to myself - before your advice - that I'd rarely be moderating the US and World Politics threads, not because of your fear of my poor judgement, but because those are already heavily and well moderated by Alpe, whose authority there I have no interest in disrespecting.

Have some faith,
Cheers.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
So because he doesn't share your views about a subject, he should stay out of the topic?

BigMac said:
It's a bit ironic that you think being a CN mod is a ''thankless ...'' job and then come up with this yourself. There was nothing from what I posted in those threads that could make you think I will do for a bad moderator. Again, you are entitled to your doubts, but a simple ''I have my doubts'' and a future ''I told you so'', should that be in order, would suffice. What Chewbacca was implying, as you very well know, was that because I took a position opposed to his (and yours) then, somehow, I'll use my powers undeservedly in some sort of crusade against him. No worries - as I said, I don't play those games. I think my position on the flag issue hasn't been made very clear to you, either.

That said, I told to myself - before your advice - that I'd rarely be moderating the US and World Politics threads, not because of your fear of my poor judgement, but because those are already heavily and well moderated by Alpe, whose authority there I have no interest in disrespecting.

Have some faith,
Cheers.

Great posts guys!

BigMac, you deserve a fair chance. The job is hard enough and needs strong nerves.
Good luck, all the best...

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
So because he doesn't share your views about a subject, he should stay out of the topic?

Not at all about not sharing my views. He, as a Portuguese (I believe) with knowledge of US history entirely from books, was trying to tell Americans how we were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag. He was trying to tell us that he knew better about something that he simply could not possibly 'know better' about because he's not American. It's an emotional heritage thing, that no non-American can 'feel' in the same way. That's all. He posted loads of really silly things, and eventually shut up about the flag.

So no, this has nothing to do with someone simply not sharing my views. This was someone being totally off base, and (at first) not being willing to listen to reason.

Amsterhammer said:
Netserk said:

Not at all about not sharing my views. He, as a Portuguese (I believe) with knowledge of US history entirely from books, was trying to tell Americans how we were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag. He was trying to tell us that he knew better about something that he simply could not possibly 'know better' about because he's not American. It's an emotional heritage thing, that no non-American can 'feel' in the same way. That's all. He posted loads of really silly things, and eventually shut up about the flag.

So no, this has nothing to do with someone simply not sharing my views. This was someone being totally off base, and (at first) not being willing to listen to reason.

As I suspected. I wasn't trying to tell you how you were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag per se, I acknowledge it's undeniable affinity with slavery. I entered the discussion when it was suggested everyone bearing it was racist, and that the only possible thing it could symbolize was racial prejudice. I explained there that I wasn't defending it's use in the State House's grounds (though I didn't condemn it either), which got ignored, and was followed by mockery. If things were as clear and universally accepted amongst Americans as you claim, then you would not have opposition, and everybody against the flag's ban would be from outside of the US, which is not true. For the record, there was at least someone from the US who posted among the same lines as I did. I shut up about the flag because I got more important things to do than argue on the internet, especially when it was obvious I was not making my position clear, and was going nowhere.

Now, this is obviously not the place to continue that discussion, which I frankly don't want to go back to, but I'd still like to know how it indicates I will do bad as a mod. There was a post from me, above, which you ignored. I think you'd have a case if I hadn't been polite to you, or insulted you.

Cheers.

PS: I don't like to use smilies much, so please don't read any sort of tone in my post.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Netserk said:
Ok. Apparently you think it's a valid reason to exclude someone from a discussion because of their nationality.

I would like to add: May the mods can remind all users in this forum:
There is one great option to prevent being felt disturbed by differing opinions:
Discuss matters in private messages.
May there are more options than this one? For example: I don´t know if the old "ignore user button" is "hidden" somewhere (which is/was also a great option to not being felt disturbed by members with different opinions). If so could the mods please tell us all about it?
Thanks in advance. :)

BigMac said:
Amsterhammer said:
Netserk said:

As I suspected. I wasn't trying to tell you how you were wrong for being disgusted by the symbolism of the Confederate flag per se, I acknowledge it's undeniable affinity with slavery. I entered the discussion when it was suggested everyone bearing it was racist, and that the only possible thing it could symbolize was racial prejudice. I explained there that I wasn't defending it's use in the State House's grounds (though I didn't condemn it either), which got ignored, and was followed by mockery. If things were as clear and universally accepted amongst Americans as you claim, then you would not have opposition, and everybody against the flag's ban would be from outside of the US, which is not true. For the record, there was at least someone from the US who posted among the same lines as I did. I shut up about the flag because I got more important things to do than argue on the internet, especially when it was obvious I was not making my position clear, and was going nowhere.

Now, this is obviously not the place to continue that discussion, which I frankly don't want to go back to, but I'd still like to know how it indicates I will do bad as a mod. There was a post from me, above, which you ignored. I think you'd have a case if I hadn't been polite to you, or insulted you.

Cheers.

PS: I don't like to use smilies much, so please don't read any sort of tone in my post.

Of course he can respond himself, but... it will have no bearing on how you mod obviously.

As a side note - as an American (I guess I better make it clear what nationality I am :rolleyes: ) I can say you're view isn't crazy. Anyone who actually read what you wrote knows you weren't endorsing slavery, saying it didn't exists in the South, or that the flag never stood for slavery ever. What you said is correct. I've known plenty of Americans who had the flag flying from their truck and they weren't racist at all. One had a black girlfriend.

Amsterhammer said:

I'll always have immense respect for BigMac for understanding me at a time nobody did whether here or on another forum, when I thought I was an alien in a way. And was amazed when discovering he & I agreed on very diverse topics while still being in a minority. And I've always loved his prose, where does he find all these words, for an allochtone teen!

But if that is a reason for doubts. I mean in that very heated debate, had you but seen all the concessions that he's made like telling Chew: "I haven't said racism was a fairy tale in the South". If it were me I would never have made such concession because I would feel I'm losing face here, too big an ego. For him that was no problem because BigMac is rarely looking for trouble, with anyone. And I think the fact none of you saw this "good will" of his kinda upset him to some extent (only he can tell, of course). He's too good for this world, I think.

Also I'll always note some kind of double standard with liberals (not necessarily you).

When BigMac made a post that was judged negative towards the Jewish community, he got banned, ban meant to be perma, and is unanimously comndemned. The few who defended him did so for his good reputation prior to the post in question but that's it.
When he and I make posts that are judged negative towards the Black community, though we aren't banned, we are being humiliated.
But when he made a post that was really ugly against the Muslim community, and 'ugly' is his own word, to his own admition & regret (I hope he doesn't mind my telling this in public, which told me in private, he may delete that bit, if need be), then he's giving free rein, only I didn't appreciate. While I guess nobody would ever dare to tell half what he then said about Muslims, about the Blacks, the Jews or the White Westerners in general.

To me it says a lot about what is politically correct & what is not.
""To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." (the French gives the quote to Voltaire, but it seems he never said that). I hope BigMac would consider this too. :)

Libertine Seguros said:
Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

CORVOS_00023924-016.jpg

His widow was a cyclist as well, you know. Gerrie was known as a raconteur and a joker. It had such surrealistic jokes with neither rhyme nor reason. :p I was sad when he passed away actually. I loved his Amsterdam humour. I think wherever he is, he's proud of Roxane. But it's true that when I learned his daughter was a cyclist, I had the quote in mind. :p

Is Roxane on the right? Who is she wearing the rainbow? Excuse my ignorance.

By the way, I miss Daphny. ;)

Echoes said:
Libertine Seguros said:
Do you think he would be spinning in his grave that his daughter gave one of his rainbow jerseys to her teammate?

CORVOS_00023924-016.jpg

His widow was a cyclist as well, you know. Gerrie was known as a raconteur and a joker. It had such surrealistic jokes with neither rhyme nor reason. :p I was sad when he passed away actually. I loved his Amsterdam humour. I think wherever he is, he's proud of Roxane. But it's true that when I learned his daughter was a cyclist, I had the quote in mind. :p

I think the girl in the rainbow jersey is Pauline Ferrand Prevot?

Echoes said:
Amsterhammer said:

I'll always have immense respect for BigMac for understanding me at a time nobody did whether here or on another forum, when I thought I was an alien in a way. And was amazed when discovering he & I agreed on very diverse topics while still being in a minority. And I've always loved his prose, where does he find all these words, for an allochtone teen!

But if that is a reason for doubts. I mean in that very heated debate, had you but seen all the concessions that he's made like telling Chew: "I haven't said racism was a fairy tale in the South". If it were me I would never have made such concession because I would feel I'm losing face here, too big an ego. For him that was no problem because BigMac is rarely looking for trouble, with anyone. And I think the fact none of you saw this "good will" of his kinda upset him to some extent (only he can tell, of course). He's too good for this world, I think.

Also I'll always note some kind of double standard with liberals (not necessarily you).

When BigMac made a post that was judged negative towards the Jewish community, he got banned, ban meant to be perma, and is unanimously comndemned. The few who defended him did so for his good reputation prior to the post in question but that's it.
When he and I make posts that are judged negative towards the Black community, though we aren't banned, we are being humiliated.
But when he made a post that was really ugly against the Muslim community, and 'ugly' is his own word, to his own admition & regret (I hope he doesn't mind my telling this in public, which told me in private, he may delete that bit, if need be), then he's giving free rein, only I didn't appreciate. While I guess nobody would ever dare to tell half what he then said about Muslims, about the Blacks, the Jews or the White Westerners in general.

To me it says a lot about what is politically correct & what is not.
""To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." (the French gives the quote to Voltaire, but it seems he never said that). I hope BigMac would consider this too. :)

Thanks. I'm not too good for this world btw. :p Fits me right.

Of course I don't mind you telling that. I haven't forgotten your latest PM btw, will answer as soon as I have time to write more than 5 lines.

irondan said:
Echoes said:
Libertine Seguros said:

CORVOS_00023924-016.jpg

I think the girl in the rainbow jersey is Pauline Ferrand Prevot?

It's Pauline indeed. At last year's l'Eroica in Tuscany.