• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has happened to the forum????

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
That's because the post doesn't use the [ url ] tags. Annoyingly, it seems as though pasting in a URL without the [ url ] tags does convert it to a link, but doesn't use the same preferences (opening in a new window, etc) as if you'd used the [ url ] tags. I'll take a look at why that's happening.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

Pete said:
Erm, we don't.

Yeah?

I posted a URL and when I hit submit it munged the heck out of it. Pretty sure I didn't fudge it myself...

Weird.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forum ... d=newposts" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" rel="nofollow<-- this is after 4 edits. Just sayin'.

Here's what my preview of this post, with the link, looked like:

C4Yrxxt.png

So my reasoning went like this:
* this is a bug - or a weirdness.
* no way someone modified the code as per the above conversation and tested it and did not see this / fix it.
* they're still working on it.

My bad!

If it was a dig it would be aimed at mgt, not you guys, just fyi :eek:

sam said:
Q:
  • Not actually sure whether it was mentioned, but the polls are broken
  • Friends list from before. Are they reclaimable
  • Single post view. Any information about.
  • More than five URLs. This is really annoying to not have more. Not just the mentioned threads but sometimes on the original post of race threads.

A:
  • Pete is looking at this - He's off sick again :(
  • They have gone, sorry
  • I am tinkering with this at the moment - but it seems "postid's" have changed so that might be interesting.
  • Its set to 10 for the past week, so if that's still not working then we have bigger issues.
Anything that has changed about SPV and broken polls?
Also what the maximum number of URLs that PhPbb allow the forum to go up to? e.g infinite or something like 100 or 40.

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
* no way someone modified the code as per the above conversation and tested it and did not see this / fix it.
Actually, I did (and didn't)! When I was testing editing a post, I used a test case prior to the change which doesn't seem to replicate your issue. Looks like only editing new posts does this, so it slipped through. Apologies for that. It shouldn't be retaining the extra attributes in the post text like this. The joys of phpBB's occasionally unpredictable behaviour!

Sep 29, 2012
Re: Re:

Pete said:
Dear Wiggo said:
Actually, I did (and didn't)! When I was testing editing a post, I used a test case prior to the change which doesn't seem to replicate your issue. Looks like only editing new posts does this, so it slipped through. Apologies for that. It shouldn't be retaining the extra attributes in the post text like this. The joys of phpBB's occasionally unpredictable behaviour!

Hey no worries, I finally have my own test server again after asking 2-3 years. I really did mean to lol in solidarity.

Good ol' phpBB eh. :confused:

Sep 29, 2012
Nope. Not sure why you wanted to truncate URLs, but it works in preview and then wrecks it on save (or some combination of the two - basically it's broken, and mostly because someone tried to fix something (truncate auto URLs) that was not broken).

eg: http:// www.runnersworld.com/health/endurance-t ... d-function

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/endu ... d-function

and if you then go to edit the post, it stays totally wrecked.

tsk tsk.

Editing posts, making new posts, etc should be part of the standard test suite. ;-)

The URL above should be this one: http://bit.ly/1Dscdko

sam said:
Q:
  • More than five URLs. This is really annoying to not have more. Not just the mentioned threads but sometimes on the original post of race threads.

A:
  • I am tinkering with this at the moment - but it seems "postid's" have changed so that might be interesting.
  • Its set to 10 for the past week, so if that's still not working then we have bigger issues.
I asked about these earlier in the week to see if their was any new information. I will ask my question again: Also what the maximum number of URLs that PhPbb allow the forum to go up to? e.g infinite or something like 100 or 40.

I may not have been posting as long as others, but I am asking these to be looked at and would like a reply as the last one was ignored.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far to everyone Pete and Sam and others.

sam

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
lemon cheese cake said:
sam said:
Q:

A:
I asked about these earlier in the week to see if their was any new information. I will ask my question again: Also what the maximum number of URLs that PhPbb allow the forum to go up to? e.g infinite or something like 100 or 40.

I may not have been posting as long as others, but I am asking these to be looked at and would like a reply as the last one was ignored.

Anyway, thanks for your help so far to everyone Pete and Sam and others.

no update on this week as we have been fixing and testing the Galleries as they were crashing on iPad

Pete

Administrator
Feb 26, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
Nope. Not sure why you wanted to truncate URLs, but it works in preview and then wrecks it on save (or some combination of the two - basically it's broken, and mostly because someone tried to fix something (truncate auto URLs) that was not broken).
Well the truncation is an entirely separate issue, I'm afraid. I think phpBB passes links through at least 3 different functions when posting, and the URL formatting / truncation are handled individually. So that one's just "still broken", as opposed to "didn't fix" / "made worse"! ;) It's a known phpBB issue, rather than being unique to this forum, and only affects URLs pasted in without the BBCode [ url ] tags.