• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who is the best descender (modern time) ?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is the best descender (modern time) ?

• Tom Pidcock

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Jonas Vingegaard

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Richard Virenque

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Paolo Savoldelli

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • Mathieu vd Poel

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Matej Mohorič

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • other

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Nibali

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Sagan

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
I think Nibali gets bonus points (from a viewer’s perspective) for being a ballsy descender willing to take risks even at the most crucial moments of a race. And it cost him too: crashes in fast descents in Rio, Florence, and Lombardy cost him a good shot at winning gold, a WC, and another GdL.
Nibali is simply the most famous great descender because he was around when nearly all of us were watching, and because his climbing skills consistently put him in contention for monuments and GTs for a long period.

Gijs Leemreize hard-dropping Van Der Poel, stage 17 of the 2022 Giro was exceptional, there was also a stage in 2016 (4 I think) where Marcel Kittel was in Pink, lost about 2 minutes on a climb and decided to full-send the descent and made it back. Carlos Rodriguez is also very good, he was gapping Ayuso in Basque who is pretty good himself, and there was the Tour stage he won. Vingegaard seems like the best of the top-GC guys, thought I suspect it might be the Froome thing where he's not technically that good but just has a screw loose, he always looks like he could fall off at any time.
Vingegaard is technically good, he picks really good lines. When him and Pogacar are together you notice he picks better ones. But Pogacar is much more explosive, which helps him kick out of corners much better.

Gijs Leemreize hard-dropping Van Der Poel, stage 17 of the 2022 Giro was exceptional, there was also a stage in 2016 (4 I think) where Marcel Kittel was in Pink, lost about 2 minutes on a climb and decided to full-send the descent and made it back. Carlos Rodriguez is also very good, he was gapping Ayuso in Basque who is pretty good himself, and there was the Tour stage he won. Vingegaard seems like the best of the top-GC guys, thought I suspect it might be the Froome thing where he's not technically that good but just has a screw loose, he always looks like he could fall off at any time.
I don't get that feeling from vingegaard at all. His center of gravity is much lower than Froome's and his line choices are very assured. Nothing flashy but his descending is far from a weakness.

But I do agree that Froome was more crazy than good.

Why even put a Chris Froome option when he in fact ended his career after crashing while descending and thus ending any remote possibility he could have had of being a "great descender"?

Provided that he descended well, "One swallow doesn't make Spring".
I would apply that metaphor to the idea that one crash makes one a bad descender. The fact that the one crash was particularly brutal doesn't seem relevant.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
Too many hipsters throwing around names like gijs lemreeze and izagiure. The only guys in the debate are nibali, savoldelli, maybe mohoric, Sagan and piddock
Moho got outdescendend by Nico Denz in the wet in the 2018 Giro when they battled for the win of stage 10.

Denz is actually an overlooked great descender. Remember in the 2020 Giro when DSM was leading the race he rode at the front of the peloton on one of the mountain stages leading them down a long descent and was just going his controlled tempo. After the descent he got told he had to take it slower as the peloton was splitting everywhere and not so great descenders really had to push it.

Reactions: Elos Anjos
Cadel was a brilliant GC descender too, a big part of his Tour win came from attacking into Gap on stage 16, dropping Samu and Contador, giving us one of the funniest interviews in recent cycling history, Andy Schleck crying and complaining about losing time.
Good call! He was an excellent descender, another good example of that was the Park City stage in the 2014 Tour of Utah, he closed a large gap on the descent and took the stage win.

Reactions: Tim Cahill