• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

“I think the riders are scared of Lance right now.” - Phil Liggett

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
“I think the riders are scared of Lance right now.” - Phil Liggett

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/general/view/20090630all_eyes_on_armstrong/

I think all the Lance haters here are equally scared . . . .

"These two might [Contador/Armstrong] both want to win the Tour de France, but I don’t think that either of them will compromise the team in order to win,” Liggett said. “I don’t believe there’s any preconceived plan for (Astana).”

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
You can be certain that just as many people who want LA to win, want him to lose. I always tune into the big game when one of my arch enemy teams is playing in the hopes that they get their buts handed to them.

A

Anonymous

I'm not scared in the slightest. See, its just a bike race. He wins, I get to pontificate about his methods for doing so on interweb forums. It doesn't affect my life in any real way outside of that.

He loses, then someone else won the tour.

Its just a bike race.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I'm not scared in the slightest. See, its just a bike race. He wins, I get to pontificate about his methods for doing so on interweb forums. It doesn't affect my life in any real way outside of that.

Its just a bike race.

It's fun to get into the love hate relationships with sports though. I believe it allows you to get more connected to the event and the drama that unfolds.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
He proved to us in the Giro d’Italia that he’s probably the best rider in the world,” Liggett said.

Nice non-sequitur. ;)

Still looks big to me (look at the muscle on his arms). But he's never to be counted out, ceteris paribus:

http://www.livestrong.com/lance-arm...ong-mp4/9b92cfee-9f90-4528-9e15-e722454f6151/

http://www.livestrong.com/lance-armstrong/video/ohioguest-mp4/d7538599-0d95-44f1-ba87-9d14670df40b/

The muscle will be a problem for him when Contador attacks on the cols (it's performing no useful function: just deadweight), assuming they're benefiting from the same blood boosting/bags. Non-detectable if autologous.

Also, A. Schleck (really, really skinny) has shown an ability this year to attack from a long way out (eg. at Liege-Bastogne). He's no threat in the TT's, but if Schleck goes from a long way out and Contador follows--and repeatedly attacks Schleck with the searing accelerations he's capable of--it might get tough for older guy with baggage.

We'll see. Should be great race.:D

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
byu123 said:
http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/general/view/20090630all_eyes_on_armstrong/

"These two might [Contador/Armstrong] both want to win the Tour de France, but I don’t think that either of them will compromise the team in order to win,” Liggett said. “I don’t believe there’s any preconceived plan for (Astana).”

Everybody break out their TdF tape of 1986. Contador is leaving, maybe announcing right after this edition. He has no loyalty to Johan or lance.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I'd love to know the context of some of those statements, or how many beers Phil had in him when he made them....

“He proved to us in the Giro d’Italia that he’s probably the best rider in the world,” - I watched the Giro too, and he looked pretty ordinary to me. Menchov looked good and DiLuca looked amazing. Sure, he had a setback with his collarbone, but he didn't look impressive even taking that into account.

"While Astana looks poised to sweep the podium this year......" - This leaves me speechless..... Maybe Contador and Armstrong could both go top 3, if Lance has a really good race. But who else?

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Quotes like this make me lose respect for Ligget. Didn't have much to begin with, but anyways...

I want to put the discussion in a larger context.

What generally annoys the hell out of me with Phil&Paul (might be other commentators as well) is the fictious drama they create.

Saying things like "the riders are scared", "turning the pedal in anger" and making up stories of tactics that obviously don't exist (can't remember an example atm., sorry). They are treating their viewers like naive children.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I think phil is absoloutely correct. The top riders would have to be scared of him(lance). He's a 7 time tdf winner and one of the greats of cycling. Jonjungel, Phil and Paul are one of the best cycling commentators in the world. i wouldn't say that many of their comments are fictitious. the extra comments they add give the viewer a better understanding of the sprot. 5 years ago i knew nothing about cycling or the tdf:eek:. From their explanations i have come to understand and love the sport. Commentating cycling is a tough gig.
P.S Has anyone heard of an irish commentator called Paddy Agnew. He's an absoulute shocker!!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
I'd love to know the context of some of those statements, or how many beers Phil had in him when he made them....

“He proved to us in the Giro d’Italia that he’s probably the best rider in the world,” - I watched the Giro too, and he looked pretty ordinary to me. Menchov looked good and DiLuca looked amazing. Sure, he had a setback with his collarbone, but he didn't look impressive even taking that into account.

"While Astana looks poised to sweep the podium this year......" - This leaves me speechless..... Maybe Contador and Armstrong could both go top 3, if Lance has a really good race. But who else?

He's just telling all of the 3 week fans exactly what they want to hear.

Pass the Kool-aid Phil.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I think phil is absoloutely correct. The top riders would have to be scared of him(lance). He's a 7 time tdf winner and one of the greats of cycling. Jonjungel, Phil and Paul are one of the best cycling commentators in the world. i wouldn't say that many of their comments are fictitious. the extra comments they add give the viewer a better understanding of the sprot. 5 years ago i knew nothing about cycling or the tdf:eek:. From their explanations i have come to understand and love the sport. Commentating cycling is a tough gig.
P.S Has anyone heard of an irish commentator called Paddy Agnew. He's an absoulute shocker!!!

Looks like we have different definitions of "scared of". I would not be scared of someone because they might be competitive with me in a bike race. In this case "aware of" would be a much better fit, IMO.

But "aware of" does not imply DRAMA and TENSION and CONFLICT in the way "scared of" does. Consequently it is unsuitable for those who do not follow cycling for the love of the sport in itself.

byu123 said:

from the same Article:
Liggett believes Armstrong will finish a close second behind Contador.

based on that, Phil is saying that the entire peloton is scared of LA but AC will be victorious anyways...... WTF

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
Looks like we have different definitions of "scared of". I would not be scared of someone because they might be competitive with me in a bike race. In this case "aware of" would be a much better fit, IMO.

But "aware of" does not imply DRAMA and TENSION and CONFLICT in the way "scared of" does. Consequently it is unsuitable for those who do not follow cycling for the love of the sport in itself.

If i were a tdf gc contender, i would be scared of other riders possibly being able to beat me and take my chance away of winning the tdf.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:

I think Phil is able to tap directly into his limbic system, while completely bypassing his cerebrum.

I think there is some truth to what Liggett says.

But maybe the right word isn't scared. Lance is (to borrow a Rumsfeld quote) a known unknown. You know what he WAS capable of, but you are sure what he IS capable of now. His Giro form was terrible at the start, but at the end he was showing improvement (not enough in my mind to warrant the hype right now, but I think the drama is good for the sport in some ways). If his form is close to his old form, well that creates QUITE the dilemma for the opposing teams. Contador may be stronger, but you have to watch not two, but now 3 Astana riders (and I'm not even including Kloden). I think that sets up the dynamic were the other contenders will be paralyzed which may create the opportunity for Lance or Contador, whoever is stronger, to attack--and unlike previous Tours, the winner will HAVE to attack.

Hell, I would LOVE to see Lance set Contador up for the win. It would, in my mind, be completely unexpected and solidify Lance's legacy (despite the doping allegations, arrogance, etc., etc., etc.).

I'm tired of speculating, I'm ready for Saturday.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jonjungel said:
Quotes like this make me lose respect for Ligget. Didn't have much to begin with, but anyways...

I want to put the discussion in a larger context.

What generally annoys the hell out of me with Phil&Paul (might be other commentators as well) is the fictious drama they create.

Saying things like "the riders are scared", "turning the pedal in anger" and making up stories of tactics that obviously don't exist (can't remember an example atm., sorry). They are treating their viewers like naive children.

Well said. I hate when the "narrate" what riders might be saying to eachother too. These guys have no idea what's being said, but spin these fanciful little tales.

I subscribed to cycling.tv this year and really enjoyed the commentary there. Good solid commentary without the stupid little made up stories. Wish those guys could do the tour also.

auscyclefan94 said:
If i were a tdf gc contender, i would be scared of other riders possibly being able to beat me and take my chance away of winning the tdf.

Auscyclefan94 you just lost a bit of credibility with that post.:eek: If you were a tdf gc contender and you're scared of anyone that is your competition you've pretty much sealed your fate before the race even starts.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site

Eureka.... we know both Bob & Phil have connections to the Astana team and so may have an inside knowledge......

They had us all fooled... Alberto & Lance are going to work for Levi!!! Thats it - or maybe the token Kazak guy on the team with the name I cant remember.

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
It doesn't affect my life in any real way outside of that.

Its just a bike race.

I totally agree with you on this.

[wow . . . I better look out either lightning is going to strike or I am going to win the lottery . . . I completely agree with TTF . . . :eek:]

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
I'm tired of speculating, I'm ready for Saturday.

I totally agree with you on this.

[damn . . . that's twice in one day . . . 1st totally agreeing with TTF and then Publicus . . . must be some sort of "strange disturbance in The Force" or something . . . ]