• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

18 teams expected in World Tour

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-confirm-worldtour-teams-in-december

Ag2r-La Mondiale, Astana, Lampre-Merida, Lotto Soudal, Movistar, Orica-GreenEdge, Europcar, Giant-Alpecin, IAM Cycling, Katusha, Sky, BMC Racing, Cannondale, Etixx-Quick Step, FDJ, Lotto NL, Tinkoff-Saxo, and Trek Factory Racing.

No surprises then as I imagine Astana were given a large fine and a final warning for stuff I can't talk about here. Same of the loss of wildcards for the GT's which will probably be:

Giro: Androni, Neri, Vini-Nippo, Bardiani
Tour: Bretagne, Cofidis, Bora, MTN
Vuelta: Caja, Cofidis, MTN, UHC

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Can someone explain me why IAM became a WT-team? I think just getting a wildcard for the TdF would be better for them, i don't think they have the buget and a strong enough team to be a WT-team, I don't think it is a good idea.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
UCI persuaded them to i.e. it certainly means benefits now or in future ;)

Well, it has to be something like that, otherwise going WT would make little sense. I don't think the their sponsors would push for it, as long as the Team gehts a wildcard for the TdF they should be happy.

They had to change something because of teams like Cervélo, who had a strong enough team over enough areas to get to do any race they wanted without the handicap of being tied to certain races on the calendar or the extra cost of the PT licence. This alarmed the UCI because it made a mockery of the PT being a package of races for the best, because Cervélo had no problem attracting big-name riders and having success against the best but didn't even want to be part of it.

nhowson said:
Surely Columbia will be a wildcard for the Giro instead if Vini-Nippo?
columbia.gif

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i think both neri and vini fantini should be in
colombia team of "escarabajos" is getting ridiculous now. they had their chance and didn't do anything special, no spettacolo. so i really hope they won't get invited again

Well this year they had three podiums at Giro. Not bad for a PCT team.

Anyway, Bardiani, Neri and Androni are guaranteed.

Not sure why Vini would..preety poor team, saving grace Cunego of course.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Gloin22 said:
Well this year they had three podiums at Giro. Not bad for a PCT team.

Anyway, Bardiani, Neri and Androni are guaranteed.

Not sure why Vini would..preety poor team, saving grace Cunego of course.

Well, if they invite them RCS would atleast have one Nibali riding the Giro. :D
No, i also think their team looks pretty weak and even if Nippo is a huge company, i don't think they'll be invited.

TRENDING THREADS