• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
DcgjUnbWsAAfFE9.jpg

I don't care if this guy (kid) is a junior, he is insane and we need to get the hype started. Secure your place on the bandwagon when it's still early, because Evenepoel is about to take over the entire cycling world. The things he does as a junior per se are beyond great, but this is a guy (kid) who had never even touched a race bike until April of last year(!).

Just this week, Evenepoel destroyed everything in his path. First he became the U19 Belgian TT champion, with a time that would have landed his #1 in the U23 time trial as well, and then he won Course de la Paix - one of the more prestigious U19 races - in dominating fashion. He won two of the four stages in the process, first securing the W in the time trial, proceeded by a huge solo in today's ultimate stage, putting minutes into everyone.

Here goes the next Eddy Merckx.

Last edited:
Reactions: Monte Serra
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Just read his story, was a football player and captain, but when he was sidelined he just chose the sport of his father.

His father beat Bartoli and Bugno in his youth, but then the 90ties started and he was nowhere because they were on clinic stuff.

That's what everyone who couldn't cut it at the time says. All of them. Nobody ever admits they weren't good enough.

The reality is his youth was good but not great.
His junior/amateur career basically consisted of being repeatedly beaten by guys who weren't good enough to turn pro like Heuvelmans and Peeters, along with Serge Baguet who was a good rider but not a star.

And he wasn't of Bartoli or Bugno's generations, he's much older than Bartoli and much younger than Bugno. Never raced in the same ranks as them. When he turned pro Bugno's career was already winding down and Bartoli was still moving from juniors into amateurs.

Incidentally, his only pro win is on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avSrRbfKUhw

Anyway, I know almost nothing about Remco, but looking up his results they look extremely impressive.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Just read his story, was a football player and captain, but when he was sidelined he just chose the sport of his father.

His father beat Bartoli and Bugno in his youth, but then the 90ties started and he was nowhere because they were on clinic stuff.
Not just an average football player, he was captain of the national youth teams of Belgium.

He started with cycling just one year ago... unbelievable story.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

DNP-Old said:
Red Rick said:
Fird

Considering he's a junior, I imagine it'll take a while to see him in the Pro Tour?
He's going to Axeon next year, so you might see him in some well known races like Utah, for example.
Let's hope that he won't be already past his prime at the age of 23/24, like so many other guys who rode for that team.

Re:

Samamba said:
Remco in an interview this morning: "I'm not Eddy Merckx" :D
De loftrompet schalde voluit: "Het is leuk om te horen dat ze me de nieuwe Eddy Merckx noemen, maar dat is een veel te sterke bewering. Ik ben niet zoals hij: hij was een buitengewone renner en het is niet goed om mij met hem te vergelijken. Hij was hij, ik ben ik."

Lmao. :D Did my thread reach him, is the browsing these forums?

From last 10 editions of Course de la Paix GC, 10 best. 100 juniors. Have produced 4 top level pro cyclists. None Eddy Merckx level just yet; Van den Poel, Stuyven, Van Poppel, Cort Nielsen. Top talents from those include Oskar Svendsen, Adrien Costa, Pierre-Henri Lecuisinier..Where are they now?

Then again GC from 10 onwards shows more familiar names, Adam and Simon Yates (your typical GC complet = madison & points race world champ...), Tiesj Benoot, Florian Senechal, Valerio Conti, Michael Valgren, Dylan Teuns.. :rolleyes:

Long way to go.

DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:
De loftrompet schalde voluit: "Het is leuk om te horen dat ze me de nieuwe Eddy Merckx noemen, maar dat is een veel te sterke bewering. Ik ben niet zoals hij: hij was een buitengewone renner en het is niet goed om mij met hem te vergelijken. Hij was hij, ik ben ik."

More like did it reach the journalist who asked him.

Flamin said:
DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:

Whoever it reached, that comment is 100% in reference to this thread. That’s hilarious. :D

Shame that Sporza don’t show who wrote the article.

memyselfandI said:
From last 10 editions of Course de la Paix GC, 10 best. 100 juniors. Have produced 4 top level pro cyclists. None Eddy Merckx level just yet; Van den Poel, Stuyven, Van Poppel, Cort Nielsen. Top talents from those include Oskar Svendsen, Adrien Costa, Pierre-Henri Lecuisinier..Where are they now?

Then again GC from 10 onwards shows more familiar names, Adam and Simon Yates (your typical GC complet = madison & points race world champ...), Tiesj Benoot, Florian Senechal, Valerio Conti, Michael Valgren, Dylan Teuns.. :rolleyes:

Long way to go.

Get out of here with your common sense

DNP-Old said:
Flamin said:
DNP-Old said:
Samamba said:

Whoever it reached, that comment is 100% in reference to this thread. That’s hilarious. :D

Shame that Sporza don’t show who wrote the article.

Maybe. Though it's not really uncommon to refer to a super dominant performance as 'Merckxiaans' here in Flanders, you know :razz:

TRENDING THREADS