• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

1st Annual Comeback Rider of the Year Award (2021 season)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can’t read the first page without it crashing! :weary:

But, the greatest comeback story has to be Cavendish. I don’t care if people will talk about the lack of sprinting competition. He was given an opportunity and he took advantage of it. I do believe he and his team were strong enough to win a stage or two with Caleb there. I know, it’s an unprovable opinion. Really I’m just a fanboy and it was so awesome seeing him back in form, yelling at his mechanic, being beyond ecstatic, and tying up with Merckx.

Uhmmm...

That's not Groenewgen...
That's my bad. I was in a panic trying to get pictures up since the ones I wanted to do weren't be posted but now I am curious why Quinn Simmons comes up on a search for Dylan Groenwegen. :eek:
No love for the Prof? From retiring from the pro ranks to Olympic gold, as 2021 comebacks go it's quite a story.

After all, CyclistAbi would tell you that Rogla at País Vasco wasn't even a comeback because it was a deliberate tactical masterstroke by Jumbo to go from a winning position to a losing one.

9488cb00af1fd3c713fd65a26696c4da
Unfortunately I do not have any knowledge of the female side of the sport.
Totally amazing work. Thank you, thank you. :hearteyes: This isn't a thread, though, it's a digital media enhanced book made of posts. :grinning:

Now, enough of the niceties. There are some serious things wrong with what you've done. :rage:
One: it's almost impossible to load it over my phone, and even on my laptop it does not exactly work smoothly...
Second, more importantly: Where can I vote for Hodeg? :mad:

Anyway, it's clear who the winner should be. There was no need to make such an extensive thread, Fabio Jakobsen's comeback can't be beaten. :p:p

Dear, mods, please include the poll.
Yes I didn't realize it would crash so hard! I was not expecting the loading issues. Maybe I should have just saved the document as a PDF instead and gone from there.

You can write in Hodeg. :D

I figured he would win but I think it is nice to see how there was other comebacks this year for riders from Froome all the way to Taaramae.

I don't think the poll will work if they are even able to get into the thread. :eek:

Reactions: Sandisfan
Monumental work from @SHAD0W93.
We need a poll.
I know! I tried but it wouldn't let me at first when I had Bartali and LeMond on the OG post. I am not sure if they are able to add it.

I think the loading problems would be solved if the posts were wrapped in spoiler tags. Perhaps one tag for each rider.
Oh that's a great idea! I will try and edit them with the spoiler tag.

• Love
I believe the first page is fine now with @Netserk's suggestion to do a spoiler tag. I did it on every post I could and only one was I unable to. Though I am unsure on why I can not add spoiler tags to the post with Evans, Boonen, and Zubeldia.

We have 1 vote a piece for Anna Kiesenhofer, Fabio Jakobsen/Álvaro Hodeg, Fausto Masnada, and Mark Cavendish.

I can’t read the first page without it crashing! :weary:

But, the greatest comeback story has to be Cavendish. I don’t care if people will talk about the lack of sprinting competition. He was given an opportunity and he took advantage of it. I do believe he and his team were strong enough to win a stage or two with Caleb there. I know, it’s an unprovable opinion. Really I’m just a fanboy and it was so awesome seeing him back in form, yelling at his mechanic, being beyond ecstatic, and tying up with Merckx.
There's some truth to this.

I can barely believe he was somewhat usefull. Andt hen he just won four(4!) stages on the highest stage.

Quite remarkable, truly one of the greatest sprinters ever.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Must be Cavendish.

First, everyone was shocked he was signed by QS, then everyone was shocked with his start in the Tour (remember? he was there only as a last minute replacement of Bennett) and then boom. He dominated the sprinters' field just like he was doing more than 10 years ago. Won 4 stages, equaled Merckx record (I bet there was not a single person on the planet beliving he'll be ever able to do that), took the green. That's what you call a COMEBACK.

For me, that'll be the most memorable story of '21 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irondan and Jspear
No poll still? Well, for me it has to be cavendish. Can't make that story up. From the crying interview, going on the attack to make something of a farewell in 2020 to come back and equal merckx record. Storyline of the year and for sure the thing people will discuss in 20-30 years when the 2021 season comes up.

TRENDING THREADS