• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

$2.5k road bike -- What to get?

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm in need of a new road bike an have a budget of roughly $2500 AU (which is roughly the same as $US these days).

Any clear no brainers (either to get or to avoid)?

What are the key components when getting a road bike? carbon frame and 105 shimano componentry seems about the go, right? what else is important?

(sorry if this is a bit lazy, but interested in unbiased opinion. I'm in touch with the local bike shop too, of course)

cheers.

(edit: found an existing thread detailing similar issues. sorry on the double-up)

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
A lot of people on my team have the Blue RD1, and all i've heard is great things about it. For the new year, they have the Blue RD1.1, a bike with the same frame but better componets for around 2.5k USD

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Giant TCR Alliance Zero has Ultegra and decent wheels for $2,599. Technically at exactly the same price you will get the Advanced 2 but that has 105, but better frame. I would go for the former.

But remember bargain hard and don’t buy at the first shop you go to.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Agree with above recommendation of a Giant, but also in Australia, in that price range the Scott CR1 range is great value, again with quality wheels and good finishing kit. Its coming to the end of year, so should be able to get some deals on 2010 stock/colours. Check out bikeexchange.com.au for good deals in your area.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
Cannondale CAAD10 with Ultegra. Or...a CAAD9 frame from eBay and an Ultegra groupset from Ribble.

http://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaen...10/Details/2483-1RAX3C48GRN-CAAD-10-3-Ultegra

You'll have enough left over to swap out the wheels for something better...

2nd that motion

last for a decade or two.

You can ride it to hell and ride it back. Repeat process as necessary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEXtjpdeHE&feature=player_embedded#!

besides the spiel, very nice

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
CAAD9 fan here - but certainly a Campagnolo build up. Centaur is great and would save you cash. You probably could go Chorus in your price range.

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I hate my 105 gruppo. it has major trouble shifting into the big ring when going uphill. I'd say you'd go with something better, or some other manufacturer (which will mean campa, token or sram).

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I would buy a pedal force ( http://www.pedalforce.com ) online and probably put either sram force or rival on it. You will end up with a bike around the 6.9 to 7.1kg mark for the price your looking at. I bought the CG1 (their top of the line frame) with sram force and I weight 100kg's. No probs at all. Seen this same frame (just the frame) on sale for 1800 to 2500 USD with a badge and new paint job. It's a sub 1kg frame but tough as hell with an awesome ride quality.

Likewise there are some awesome deals on ebay for carbon frames (includes fork, headset, handlebars and seatpost) for around 400 to 500 dollars. There is heaps of reviews of these on another forum and they seem to have very few problems. They are just factory direct. You can then buy a set of Factory Direct carbon wheels (plenty to choose from) for about 500 to 600. Buy the rest of your Shimano, Sram gruppo online also and you then have yourself a sub 7kg bike for probably less than 2500 AUD. Much better value than buying the name brands, but ride quality the same if not better. Just depends on whether you like the look.

Needless to say, I will never buy name brand bikes ever again. They're not really value for money when you consider factory direct options. PM me if you want more details.

Elegant Degenerate said:
I'm in need of a new road bike an have a budget of roughly $2500 AU (which is roughly the same as $US these days).

Any clear no brainers (either to get or to avoid)?

What are the key components when getting a road bike? carbon frame and 105 shimano componentry seems about the go, right? what else is important?

(sorry if this is a bit lazy, but interested in unbiased opinion. I'm in touch with the local bike shop too, of course)

cheers.

(edit: found an existing thread detailing similar issues. sorry on the double-up)

Good price point. I would recommend following your instinct. At the end of the day, its you who have to sleep with your decision. I do think you are on the right track going the route of a carbon frame. I can't tell how many times I've bought a second choice, because of a good friend's suggestion, only to think about my 1st choice after I've bought it. For me, it has to jump out at me or make my jaw drop. So do your due diligence and talk to as many shops and frame builders as you can as well as use internet forums for your info. As for the components, I'm more partial to SRAM at that moment. I hope this helps.

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
i'm a big fan of going slightly used...you can get much more for your money...i've done this three times already with great success...

cannondale rush (lefty) mtb with full xt and some extra upgrades...only thing i added was new pedals...they invested $3.2k (us$)...i paid 1.3k...love that bike!

older trek 1000 (aluminum) triple, like new...they paid $900, i paid $400...i got back into road biking with this one...heavier, but sturdy...it really helped me build up my strength and stamina...until i understood what type of bike i wanted next...

trek 5200 oclv carbon triple, full ultegra, like new...they paid $2.8k (on sale), i paid $1.1k...

i selected the trek 5200 more for its long history of performance and durability...it's light enough to ride fast and strong enough to ride long distance...it took me a while to do the research and make a selection, based on my specific needs...

there are a lot of garaged bikes out there, looking for riders.

good luck!

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
bicycles_rule said:
I hate my 105 gruppo. it has major trouble shifting into the big ring when going uphill. I'd say you'd go with something better, or some other manufacturer (which will mean campa, token or sram).

How often are you shifting into the big ring while climbing?

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
OK. Thanks a lot for the feed back. Interesting points.

The CAAD9 & 10 look interesting, and given that durability is probably my number one issue could be an option. (This bike will see its fair share of action.) Weight is a secondary issue. If I take things really seriously, I could stand to lose 5kgs from myself before worrying too much about the bike weight (though that would be pretty trim). Something reasonable though, obviously.

Are carbon frames much more like to break in the event of a crash (because crashing is inevitable)?

Shimano vs Campagnolo & others? this seems to be more of personal preference. Am i wrong? (edit: I have used shimano 105 in the past to no huge complaints. Much noticeable to go up to ultegra? Even sora wasn't that bad once you learnt the ins and outs of it)

Altitude said:
How often are you shifting into the big ring while climbing?

ha! I did wonder that myself. Must be powering up those hills.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I just did this...

There are 2009 Giant TCR Advanced 2's - full carbon frame (though alloy steerer in the fork), Mavic Aksiums and 105 groupset, on sale for about $2,200. I got mine a couple of months ago for $2,300.

I wanted a compact crank, so I put an Ultegra 6600 SL compact crank on the front ($250 from Wiggle, minus whatever you can get for the double), and wanted to (occasionally) put an 11-28 cassette on reliably, so put an Ultegra 6700 derailleur on the rear ($70, from memory).

I haven't found any shifting issues, but an ultegra 6600 SL front derailleur is $40.

You could even go to Ultegra 6600 shifters for not much money - they go for around $300 on ebay, and your (new) 105 shifters go for about $250. I haven't bothered.

Failing that, buy a whole new Ultegra 6700 groupset (or, for that matter, SRAM Rival or Force) on Ebay, and flog off the entire 105 stuff. Changeover, plus labour, would probably cost $500.

If you want to race, maybe a set of nicer wheels would be justified, but you're talking a very, very nice bike for the money.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Wow, what an excellent deal. Wish I was in the market for new bike.

That is a a very good deal if you fit on a medium.

One catch shipping to Australia is that you'll need to a) pay the GST (10%), and pay an additional duty on "built-up bikes" of 5%.

Still a heck of a lot of bike for the money - that groupset alone is about $1400 on ebay.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
That is a a very good deal if you fit on a medium.

One catch shipping to Australia is that you'll need to a) pay the GST (10%), and pay an additional duty on "built-up bikes" of 5%.

Still a heck of a lot of bike for the money - that groupset alone is about $1400 on ebay.

Well, we sort of get by all that tax stuff in the US (as least for now).

And yes, I'd love a bike with Campy Chorus. Drool...

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
bicyles direct has a full Red bike for@2800 bucks the frame and cockpit are middle of the road but the price and warr make it something to look at

I second bikes direct. Most of the bikes discussed with the exception of the Look are likely sourced from one or two OEM's. Bikesdirect does without the artifice a Blue/Kona tries to pull off. I'd rebuild a Bikesdirect bike before riding, but that's me.

Look goes so far as to weave their own carbon. They definitely go to great lengths to do their own thing. That, IMHO, is worth the price on a Look. Look has a *much* more difficult business model that deserves being rewarded over a Blue/Kona who order slight variations on whatever OEM product is available and then try to pass it off as some huge R&D investment.

That said, I'm not a fan of carbon frames. It's too fragile for mere mortals like me who have to pay for their own kit. More than one person has gotten the carbon, broken it, then bought an alloy frame as a replacement. I'm in the minority on this issue.

TRENDING THREADS