• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2000 - 2013 Make your own team

Would it be intereting to see what your favourite riders since the year of 2000 would look like in one team? Make your own gt or classics team, tell us why you choose the riders you did, and what year of the riders career you choose on the team and so on.

My gt team would be something like this:

GC leader:
Vino (2006) would lead the team for obvious reasons. He is one of the main favourites in any gt he would participate in. And his tremendous tt and engine would give him the edge over most adversaries.

Climbing Domestiques:
Basso (2006) RoboBasso would be a fine final leadout for Vino in the highmountains and a possible candidate for the leader role if Vino should have an accident or so.

Rasmussen (2007) Would be a very good mountain grinder for Basso and Vino, and would be able to disarm all the attacks from guys like Armstrong, Simoni, Contador and Ullrich.

Andrey Kasheckin (2006) would be the man to keep the pace in the beginning of the final climb.

Andrei Kivilev (2001) This is the guy who would start shreding the peloton to pieces on the penultimate climb.

Flat/roleurs:
Viatcheslav Ekimov(2000) would make the legs hurt waay before the climbs

Iglinsky (2012) this punchy kazakh will be a huge help for any gc candidate in any terrain possible to imagine.

David Zabriskie (2008) nice worker

Thor Hushovd (2011) to get a couple of stages from a breakaway or 2

Alberto Contador Velasco (2009)
Don

Roberto Heras (2002)
Underboss/ superduper domestique (gets Vuelta if he is a good boy)

Floyd Landis (2004)
Superduper domestique

Vincenzo Nibali (2010)
Mountain domestique, and descent domestique.

Leonardo Piepoli (2007)
Mountain domestique

Santi Botero (2002)
TTT and Mountain domestique

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (2011)
Right hand man of Contador, always by his side. Caporegime (makes tactical decisions on the road).
Roomate.

Vasily Kiriyenka (2011)
General breakaway chasing. Doesnt matter if stage is hill, mountainous or flat. Bottles.

Michael Rogers (2012)
General breakaway chasing and TTT help. Doesnt mattrr if stage is hilly mountainous or flat,Bottles.

That would beat your team vino, cos we only have 1 leader;)

The Hitch said:
Don

Roberto Heras (2002)

Floyd Landis (2004)
Superduper domestique

Vincenzo Nibali (2010)

Leonardo Piepoli (2007)
Mountain domestique

Santi Botero (2002)

Right hand man of Contador, always by his side. Caporegime (makes tactical decisions on the road).
Roomate.

Vasily Kiriyenka (2011)
General breakaway chasing. Doesnt matter if stage is hill, mountainous or flat. Bottles.

Michael Rogers (2012)
General breakaway chasing and TTT help. Doesnt mattrr if stage is hilly mountainous or flat,Bottles.

Lol, would like to see your little AC 09 beat Vino 06 :rolleyes:

;):p

Vino attacks everyone said:
Lol, would like to see your little AC 09 beat Vino 06 :rolleyes:

Lets be honest, Contador (2009) (or Robobasso) is going to end up being your gc leader anyway;)

Only by then Contador (team vino) is 3 minutes down on Contador (team Hitch) because hes lost time in the ttt and wasted himself domestiquing for Vino.

At which point Contador (team Hitch) only has to mark the moves of Contador (team Vino) on the mtfs which shouldnt prove too difficult since they both have the exact same abilty:p

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Alberto Contador (2009) Would be a very good mountain grinder for Basso...

ICDU2HE574YN5IDAHAXV4WUBODT53UHQ.jpg

The Hitch said:
Lets be honest, Contador (2009) (or Robobasso) is going to end up being your gc leader anyway;)

Only by then Contador (team vino) is 3 minutes down on Contador (team Hitch) because hes lost time in the ttt and wasted himself domestiquing for Vino.

At which point Contador (team Hitch) only has to mark the moves of Contador (team Vino) on the mtfs which shouldnt prove too difficult since they both have the exact same abilty:p

Well, in the queen mountainstage Kash and Kivilev will destroy the whole peloton on the first climb, before my man Basso attacks and keeps a dreadful pace up the second climb of the day. Vino joins him on the decent. team Hitch never manages to reach Vino because of his awesome descending abilities, so the difference after the stage us under 1 min between AC from team Hitch, and Vino (team Vino). in the last 52km long tt we all know who takes it.
Sorry, but there is no way you can win this ;)

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Don

Roberto Heras (2002)

Floyd Landis (2004)
Superduper domestique

Vincenzo Nibali (2010)

Leonardo Piepoli (2007)
Mountain domestique

Santi Botero (2002)

Roomate.

Vasily Kiriyenka (2011)

Michael Rogers (2012)

Nice team, I would just swap Rogers for Tyler Hamilton. He would fit better with the rest of your team :D

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
contador racing contador :D nice touch there, but lets kick it up a notch

I'd have

5 Contadors (diff roles, OBVIOUSLY :D)
3 Cancellaras (TTTing the flat stages, and.. bottles?)
aaaand Samuel Dumoulin for the sprints. because i like him?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
GT Team:
Contador: GC leader
Vinokourov: Road captain/super dom
Cancellara: Flat land dom/TTer
Samu: Mountain dom
Heras: Mountain dom
Hincapie: all rounder domestique/bottle duty
Sagan: sprinter/free role
Ullrich: supper dom
Armstrong: mountain dom/bottle duty/or whatever else Contador wants :D (kept on a tight leash, rest of the team exposes him if he even considers trying to win himself!) :cool:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Classic team:
Gilbert ('11) For obvious reasons, he can attack and sprint to victory, also be used for RVV and MSR

Valverde (06) For obvious reasons, he can attack and sprint to victory, and he needs to be used for MRS ;)

VDB ('03) sadly enough I can't pick '99 :D

Boonen ('05) superdom for the LBL and AGR. And takes RVV

Cancellara ('10) superdom for the LBL and AGR. And takes PR

Vino ('06), superdom, nothing else ;)

Contador ('10), superdom for LBL and AGR, and wins FW. Rides PR and RVV (i always wanted to see him ride that.)

Andy Schleck ('09), waterboy

GC-team:

Contador ('11), he's the leader. Maybe '09 is better but contador says not so i'll believe the man.

Robobasso ('06), he'll start with a flat tire in the first stage losing 10 minutes so that contador can win. Superdom and breaks the record for most mountain points. And the climbing record on the mortirolo.

Salvoldelli ('05), i need il falco when the shark attacks.

Navarro ('10), superdom and i don't wanna make my team too OP.

Armstrong ('04), i'll make him drop when contador attacks so that Contador looks good. He can win a TT.

Cancellara ('08), superdom on the flat and can also be useful in the mountains.

Valverde ('05), to win all the hilly stages and superdom in the mountains.

Pantani ('00), break the record on ventoux and alpe d'huez while being a domestique for Contador.

Skyborg ('12), give me number 350r512 :D

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Put together with the goal of winning every World Cup classic, and a few besides. Throw a Giro and the Worlds in there too.

Moreno Argentin (1994)
Evgeni Berzin (1994)
Gianluca Bortolami (1994)
Johan Museeuw (1996)
Andrea Tafi (1996)
Michele Bartoli (1998ish)
Paolo Bettini (2003)
Tom Boonen (2005)
Fabian Cancellara (2010)

will10 said:
Put together with the goal of winning every World Cup classic, and a few besides. Throw a Giro and the Worlds in there too.

Moreno Argentin (1994)
Evgeni Berzin (1994)
Gianluca Bortolami (1994)
Johan Museeuw (1996)
Andrea Tafi (1996)
Michele Bartoli (1998ish)
Paolo Bettini (2003)
Tom Boonen (2005)
Fabian Cancellara (2010)

You must follow the 2000 and forward only rule, this Argentin, Museeuw thing you are doing is cheating!

:p

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
You must follow the 2000 and forward only rule, this Argentin, Museeuw thing you are doing is cheating!

:p

You shouldn't say much.

Using vino is not cheating?

That's just too easy to win ;)