• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2009 Protour racer of the year

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
isayic said:
I think that Contador didn't want to win the Dauphine. He helped Valverde to win the race knowing that Alejandro could not ride the Tour de France. I watched every stage on TV and could see this.

Agree. I've said this here before: he gave away Paris-Nice (maybe) and the Dauphine (for sure) to be sure he would have a team in July.

ak-zaaf said:
Agree. I've said this here before: he gave away Paris-Nice (maybe) and the Dauphine (for sure) to be sure he would have a team in July.

Dont know about Paris-Nice even though he is good friends with L.L.Sanchez but the Dauphine, definitely, man he was just cruising. I was just waiting for him to spread his wings at any time and leave them all for dead. Gift to Valverde.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Dont know about Paris-Nice even though he is good friends with L.L.Sanchez but the Dauphine, definitely, man he was just cruising. I was just waiting for him to spread his wings at any time and leave them all for dead. Gift to Valverde.

Paris-Nice is very doubtful, but if so it would have been supreme class. Since that stage was responsible for the "lot to learn" comment it would be incredibly awesome if he gave away a race like that that early in the season already knowing what the Tour would bring.

Since we'll never know I just give him the credit :)

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
aarnold517 said:
IIRC they had a new ranking system this year where the grand tours counted as part of the protour points system, resulting in contador winning the overall protour classification

i think no one knew anything about it because contador took the lead in the rankings after the tour de france, but he did not race the rest of the season, so he was not seen in the protour leaders jersey (if there even still is one)

Contador had to skip GP Ploué due to illness. He rode a lot of short races that are not part of the protour. He won for example the 'Profronde van Stiphout', the first edition of a Critérium in Cancún, Mexico and he won for the second time the 'Amstel Curacao Race'. I am sure he currently has many other problems to think about. -- I don't know anything about the protourpoints system and I didn't miss seeing Contador riding in the jersey of the protour leader. It looks like a nightgown. ;)