• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2010 Tour of the Gila

I've arrived in sunny Silver City and rode up the Mogollon climb today. It's not a huge climb, but there are some steep sections. I anticipate Levi will take this, though I'm not counting Zabriskie out. I don't think Lance has too many problems here. It rises, flattens out, hits again, calms down a bit, then the last 2 miles are pretty steep. Finish is on a 13% grade.

Hope to have some pics from the finish line. Got a bunch last year.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Tour of The Gila website here. with full schedule of all events. April 28th - May 2nd.

2enui5i.jpg
nl8ys7.jpg
357hfy8.jpg

Men's Pro 1.

St 1: Wednesday, April 28 - SILVER CITY to MOGOLLON ROAD Race. 9:05 am Men Pro 1 - 151.5 km

St 2: Thursday, April 29 - The INNER LOOP Road Race. 9:00 am Men Pro 1 -128.8 km

St 3: Friday, April 30 - DAN POTTS MEMORIAL TYRONE Individual Time Trial, - 25.9 km.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
jj39yw.jpg
24ky2xt.jpg

Men's Pro 1.
St 4: Saturday, May 1 - DOWNTOWN SILVER CITY CRITERIUM. 3:15 pm Men Pro 1 - 69.6 km 40 laps

St 5: Sunday, May 2 - GILA MONSTER ROAD RACE. 8:40 am Men Pro 1 - 170.2 km
(Begins at Gough Park, Silver City, ends at Pinos Altos, 6 miles north of Silver City.)

He should get one for NOT racing, and just showing up to help promote the sport, talk to fans and the media, IMO.

Not a big fan of ProTour rides entering such a race, though it does rise the profile of the race itself. Lance could probably get just as many riders and fans to show up if he arrived as a patron of the event.

Alpe d'Huez said:
He should get one for NOT racing, and just showing up to help promote the sport, talk to fans and the media, IMO.

Not a big fan of ProTour rides entering such a race, though it does rise the profile of the race itself. Lance could probably get just as many riders and fans to show up if he arrived as a patron of the event.

Isn't it about time his majesty actually starts racing?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Tour of the Gila or Vuelta a Castilla y León.

Moose, if you get to talk to Levi, ask him which race is harder - Tour of the Gila or Tour of Castles and Lions.

The Vuelta a Castilla y León was a relatively unknown race until Big Mig put it in on the map in 1993.
Banesto ended up winning that race 9 times!

Maybe RadioShack can put Tour of the Gila on the map & win it 9 times:)

Previous winners:
1987 USA Bishop, Andy (USA)
1988 USA O'Grady, Gavin (USA)
1989 USA Lieswyn, John (USA)
1990 SWE Backmann, Bjorn (SWE)
1991 SWE Backmann, Bjorn (SWE)
1992 USA Livingston, Kevin (USA)
1993 COL Robles, José (COL)
1994 USA Miller, Andrew (USA)
1995 USA Vaughters, Jonathan (USA)
1996 USA Swindlehurst, Burke (USA)
1997 USA Bowen, Bart (USA)
1998 USA Swindlehurst, Burke (USA)
1999 USA Wherry, Chris (USA) Saturn
2000 CAN Wohlberg, Eric (CAN) Shaklee-Marin
2001 USA Moninger, Scott (USA) Mercury
2002 USA Wherry, Chris (USA) Mercury
2003 USA Miller, Drew (USA) Trek-Volkswagen
2004 USA Moninger, Scott (USA) Health Net-Maxxis
2005 USA Swindlehurst, Burke (USA) Seasilver
2006 USA Baldwin, Chris (USA) Toyota-United
2007 AUS O'Neill, Nathan (AUS) Health Net-Maxxis
2008 COL Ladino, Gregorio (COL) Tecos
2009 USA Leipheimer, Levi (USA) Mellow Johnny's

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Moose, if you get to talk to Levi, ask him which race is harder - Tour of the Gila or Tour of Castles and Lions.

The Vuelta a Castilla y León was a relatively unknown race until Big Mig put it in on the map in 1993.
Banesto ended up winning that race 9 times!

Maybe RadioShack can put Tour of the Gila on the map & win it 9 times:)
<snipped>

Team Radioshack are not riding ;)

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I think Lance will win only because they need to keep the myth alive that he is better than last year so Levi and Jason will work for him to win.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
A rose by any other name would smell as sweet!

I don't know... Garmin's squad is riding under the name...

DZNuts.

I'm cheering for them in this wants... who wouldn't want to see DeezNuts on the podium?

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I see Floyd is also on the start list. Hope he does well.

DS Frankie Andreu will be "Driving the Car" for KENDA Pro Cycling
presented by GEARGRINDER I hope also.

Moose McKnuckles said:
I doubt Vino even knows who Taylor Phinney is.
Not sure he'll do well in terms of going for the win here. He's not a climber (Phinney, that is.)

Vino and a couple of Kazakhs should enter as Team Borat and kick everyone's butts. Vino could ride up to Phinney and say, "I'll crush you Little Punk."

Go FLandis!!!!1!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
i have done Gila, it is hard but its not on the same level as Euro racing..(no disrespect to the racers there)
Racers make the race hard,as has been said in the thread.
It is at altitude, which hurts unless you have been training at similar altitude..
Teco's did show up a couple of years ago and kicked some serious ***..
the descent's are sketchy and many crashes have happened before.
Moose. have fun and post up your pic's...
There was snow at the top of the final day's climb one year i was there... good times.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I think Lance will win only because they need to keep the myth alive that he is better than last year so Levi and Jason will work for him to win.
Just like the good old days.
The team will ride tempo till 5km to go and then LA will look back at one of his opponents and accelerate away to victory.

Jan 31, 2010
Visit site
Why would he do that :p. Obviously he wants LL to support him at the TdF so he'll be a teamplayer right now to get him another famous ToG title!

TRENDING THREADS