2012 Giro Di Lombardia 29/09/2012

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 30, 2012
17
0
0
Echoes said:
In the 90's I definitely recall Italian infos on RTBF or BRTN for Italian races: 'inseguitori', 'testa della corsa', etc. So what happened?
I think it's not too many years since Giro changed them to English. Maybe 5 years or something like that. I guess they wanted to be "international".
 
Echoes said:
That's right (and the 1962 edition was sunny, I think). But still weren't the conditions of these old days thougher? The old bikes did not allow for low gears, I think.

And you sure know that Baldini was not a pure climber, he was heavyweight and past his prime in 1962. Poor dedication to his sport as well.

I don't say he was a far better rider than J-Rod but not really worse either.



I was watching on Sporza, so Eurovision but it's still Rai coverage, isn't it?

In the 90's I definitely recall Italian infos on RTBF or BRTN for Italian races: 'inseguitori', 'testa della corsa', etc. So what happened?



Of course I did. :p Only the classics matter to me. I'm not watching GT's. Contador cannot race 250km a day against a top international field, period. And I mean, this is Lombardy all right, not even Paris-Roubaix.

A champion should have raced such races from the very start of his career on. But he never cared for classics, just like his predecessors. History will forget about him very soon after his career ends, mark my words !
Contador should drop gts and race Paris Roubaix.

We are learning a lot here.
 
Googol said:
I think it's not too many years since Giro changed them to English. Maybe 5 years or something like that. I guess they wanted to be "international".
OK. But if that is the reason, it stinks. :rolleyes:

The Hitch said:
Contador should drop gts and race Paris Roubaix.

We are learning a lot here.
Lol haven't even said that. But it would be the greatest and most romantic thing he could do. :cool:
 
Mar 25, 2012
330
0
0
He should maybe not focus on them. But it's always lovely to see great GC riders showing their face on the nothern classics.

Wasn't it cool when Contador was attacking on the Muur ?
I was even happy to see Armstrong riding the RVV.
 
gthx_gthx_ said:
He should maybe not focus on them. But it's always lovely to see great GC riders showing their face on the nothern classics.

Wasn't it cool when Contador was attacking on the Muur ?
I was even happy to see Armstrong riding the RVV.
It would also be a huge risk, I mean what if he'd break something :eek:
 
On a serious note about GT riders going for classics, I think only Roubaix is truely out of reach for most of them: maybe Wiggins or De Gendt (does he have any cobbled skills? I just know he's insane :D) but no one else.
- San Remo: Nibali and Scarponi have shown it's possible to contend there.
- Ronde: Lance has a top10, Contador attacked on the Muur (dry conditions I know but still).
- Liège/Lombardia: almost every GT rider is suited to them by definition.
About the safety issue, only Ronde seems really dangerous to me but I guess it depends on wether or not a rider is willing to risk a part of the season for a result there.

On the joke side, I remember Frank Schleck talking about the possibility of riding the Ronde so...... :D
 
trevim said:
On a serious note about GT riders going for classics, I think only Roubaix is truely out of reach for most of them: maybe Wiggins or De Gendt (does he have any cobbled skills? I just know he's insane :D) but no one else.
- San Remo: Nibali and Scarponi have shown it's possible to contend there.
- Ronde: Lance has a top10, Contador attacked on the Muur (dry conditions I know but still).
- Liège/Lombardia: almost every GT rider is suited to them by definition.
About the safety issue, only Ronde seems really dangerous to me but I guess it depends on wether or not a rider is willing to risk a part of the season for a result there.

On the joke side, I remember Frank Schleck talking about the possibility of riding the Ronde so...... :D
When was this? I must have missed it.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lequack Professional Road Racing 439

ASK THE COMMUNITY