• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Sparkassen Münsterland Giro (10/3, 1.1, GER)

My local race!

Even though I can walk to the finish line I don't think I'll even be bothered. Not the most fun race ever...

Fun fact: the race finishes at the Schlossplatz square, where it's finished for years, except it used to be known as Hindenburgplatz until the name was changed and upheld in a plebiscite three weeks ago.

I really want German cycling to be alive and well, but the races they still manage to put on don't tend to be the most exciting. There's only really Frankfurt left that's a properly challenging race. Now, admittedly, I love Frankfurt, but unfortunately the geography of the existing races tends to preclude other similarly difficult races. This one doesn't really have too many options for toughening up, admittedly, but Köln does.

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
This one doesn't really have too many options for toughening up, admittedly
Yeah, not really, if you want to do anything you gotta have circuits. There's one Waseberg lite 6km from Münster and that one hill they do once this time or they could start 20km north near Osnabrück where's there's heights over 200m(!). You gotta love the Geography of Northern Germany. Well, even the distance down to the Mittelgebirge is managable (50-60km) but that wouldn't really fulfill the spirit of a Münsterland Giro, now would it?

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
With the current national cycling heroes being Degenkolb, Kittel and Greipel it's pretty obvious that sprinter-friendly race courses are favored in Germany.

Naturally. And Martin, of course, and the only high level stage race that's survived the culls in Germany is the Bayernrundfahrt, which is very much a time triallist's race.

However, when the only races the guys on the national scene get to do are flat sprinter's races, it's always going to be hard for them to develop the requisite all-round skills to change that, for the same reason as it's hard to generate too many Basque sprinters.

Progsprach said:
Yeah, not really, if you want to do anything you gotta have circuits. There's one Waseberg lite 6km from Münster and that one hill they do once this time or they could start 20km north near Osnabrück where's there's heights over 200m(!). You gotta love the Geography of Northern Germany. Well, even the distance down to the Mittelgebirge is managable (50-60km) but that wouldn't really fulfill the spirit of a Münsterland Giro, now would it?

What? Where?

The only meaningful hills near Münster are the Baumberge, and that's stretching it...

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Descender said:
What? Where?

The only meaningful hills near Münster are the Baumberge, and that's stretching it...

in Nienberge. It has the same gradient as the Waseberg but it is only about half as long if you'd do a 5-10km circuit with that included you could have a little selection.

Progsprach said:
in Nienberge. It has the same gradient as the Waseberg but it is only about half as long if you'd do a 5-10km circuit with that included you could have a little selection.

Oh I know what you mean. Believe me, that hill wouldn't drop anybody... besides, the loop would need to me much longer than that.

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ninth Roy Sentjens (De Rijke). Seems he has returned after his EPO ban 2010 when riding with Milram. Didn´t he say he finished his career? Actually, is it THIS Roy Sentjens?...:confused:

BTW: I´m German and I´m glad that this race is still alive after so many races died in the last coupla years, but it actually doesn´t deserve it´s own thread... There are important 1.1 races like Kuurne, Lugano, Klasika Primavera or Giro dell Appeninno, but Münsterland Giro is none of them, I must admit.

TRENDING THREADS