• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour de France: Stage 13: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux → Le Cap d'Agde (217 km)

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
2012 Tour de France: Stage 13: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux → Le Cap d'Agde (217 km)

Return of the sprinters

profile-13.jpg

194 km - Mont Saint-Clair 1.6 kilometre-long climb at 10.2% - category 3

Finishing kilometres:

PROFILKMS.jpg

2e5iqsl.jpg

"Another long stage. This one stretches 217 km from Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux to Cap d'Agde, where the bunch will embrace the Mediterranean. A treasure trove of beautiful TV pictures... and the prospect of a sprint finish, at least among those fast men who have managed not to lose contact on the climb up the Mont-Saint-Clair, 23 kilometres from the finish. In other words, the stage is not a piece of cake and the race could go crazy. Moreover, the wind is always a menace near the Mediterranean, and we already saw what it can do when the Tour visited La Grande Motte in 2009..."

24bkcwg.png

Prediction: A breakaway, most likely with Mørkøv in it, has a 10% chance of battling for the stage. Otherwise, it will end up in a mass sprint. No GC changes.

Favorites: Cavendish, Sagan, Greipel, Goss
Outsiders: Haedo, Hutarovich, Farrar, Van Hummel, Dumoulin, Bozic, Hinault, Boasson Hagen, Gilbert

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
For some weird reason, I'm actually looking forward to this :confused:

Unfortunatelly only for a weird reason ...

What I expect: 5/6 men dressed in black, 1 in a norwegian shirt, 1 in yellow controlling the race all allong the way. Is to say: another lloooonnnngggggg and boooooooooorrriiinnnngggggg stage!..

I think this stage has the potential to be more than just a mass sprint. According to Wunderground, strong N.W (cross)winds are forecast. Also, many of the sprinters could lose contact on Mont Saint-Clair. (Profile borrowed from velo-club).

120713122123648128.gif

It's Bastille Day so the French should definitely race it aggressively, fingers crossed some others join in. :)

jmspinto said:
Unfortunatelly only for a weird reason ...

What I expect: 5/6 men dressed in black, 1 in a norwegian shirt, 1 in yellow controlling the race all allong the way. Is to say: another lloooonnnngggggg and boooooooooorrriiinnnngggggg stage!..

No, it's of course because of La Fête Nationale, le quatorze juillet, the Bastille Day, which isn't mentioned in the opening post. It's gonna be entertaining :)

Hopefully Cav will somehow get dropped on that final climb, so EBH can get a chance to go for the stage win...but that's really unlikely. I just feel sorry for all the thousands of Norwegians who are cheering for him in France and don't understand why he can't even try to go for stage victories. I've had people asking me why EBH is in such a bad shape this year, which says a lot about how little they understand.

Probably going to be another victory for Greipel.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Easy run-in but a twisty final 500m. The final straight is 200m.

2e5iqsl.jpg

Cav to edge Greipel. Just a shame the green jersey competition is now over.

That climb 20km from the finish looks very steep, could end in tears for a sprinter who is suffering.

Cav has been working on his staminas for these types of climbs so I would back him to get over there ok.

If it does end in bunch sprint i will go:

1.Greipel 2. Cav 3. Goss

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Ragerod said:
Easy run-in but a twisty final 500m. The final straight is 200m.

2e5iqsl.jpg

Cav to edge Greipel. Just a shame the green jersey competition is now over.

Ouch, looks dangerous. No crashes, please!

Will add picture to thread.