• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Tour of California May 15 stage 3: San Jose - Livermore 185.5 km

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
After back to back stage win for Sagan it is possible that a different guy will cross the line in first place. The riders will ascend Mt. Diablo 100 km from the finish. It is a 9.2 km climb averaging 4.7%. About 15 km from the finish they will go up Patterson pass, a 6 km climb averaging 5.1%. Riders might see this as an opportunity to jump away here trying to look for a stage victory. After this climb it is downhill towards the finish. Sagan might be again the favorite for this stage but the late climb in the race might shake some things up.

12_atoc_stage_3_map_600.gif

stage_3_profile_600.gif

The highest point is at about 670 meters

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
7km at 5ish% can Sagan be dropped? I don't think so and then there is always the possibility his team helps him out over the top and to the front on the decent. Sagan again.

New quiz. Will Sagan be in the leaders jersey after the ITT?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
if memory serves these two climbs are more difficult than they sound as described by, "9km at 5%" or whatever...

Definitely not suited for Sagan. Nibali, much more so. And hopefully Horner too. If Horner can't handle, Machado?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
kukiniloa said:
if memory serves these two climbs are more difficult than they sound as described by, "9km at 5%" or whatever...

Definitely not suited for Sagan. Nibali, much more so. And hopefully Horner too. If Horner can't handle, Machado?

Why are they harder than that?
Sagan may surprise you with just how good he can be uphill. Check out stage 3 of last years tour de suisse. From a break he outclimbed jakob fuglsang, and lost only 1:45 to Di luca, Soler, F Schleck, Mollema, leipheimer all of whom were not in the break.

Good thing it was only a small hill ;) http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?col=Grosse-Scheidegg&qryMountainID=5368

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I'd be very surprised if they drop Sagan today. Very.

I guess it would require attacks from the likes of Danielson, TJVG, Horner, Nibali etc. the top favorites to realistically drop sagan on this stage.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Sagan is going so well but for the sake of the other riders i cannot just pick him all the time.

Therefore i shall go Haussler, GVA and then Sagan.

If either of those 2 have a chance Sagan takes it. The only hope is the GC favourites really hit that hill flying and can drop Sagan, I just doubt it will happen, infact at 5% average, unless there are some really tough pitches, I'm not sure that's possible.

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Can't see past Sagan, again a tailor made stage for him. Expect a lot more attacks however to avoid another sprint with. So more fireworks during the stage but in the end the same winner is my guess.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
This is another wasted finishing climb day, but perhaps the shortest "regroup" distance to the finish yet, but with Sagan banking bonus seconds there may be a different tactic among the climbers and their teams....unlikely though.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't really understand why RAB hasn't tried to blow up the race on these last climbs, at least in an effort to unhinge Sagan and, instead of 'banking' on Matthews, try to launch LLS (if he can stay on board during the flight).