• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2012 Volta ao Algarve

1ª ETAPA February 15
DUNAS DOURADAS – ALBUFEIRA
151 km
etapa_11.jpg

2ª ETAPA February 16
FARO – LAGOA
188 km
etapa_2.jpg

3ª ETAPA February 17
CASTRO MARIM – MALHÃO (Loulé)
194.6 km
etapa_3.jpg

4ª ETAPA February 18
VILAMOURA – TAVIRA
186.3 km
etapa_4.jpg

5ª ETAPA February 19
CR/ INDIVIDUAL
LAGOA – PORTIMÃO
25 km
profile - http://www.voltaalgarve.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/etapa_5.jpg

SOURCE :- http://www.voltaalgarve.com/?page_id=46
Pro Tour
AG2R – FRA
BMC - USA
GARMIN-BARRACUDA - USA
LOTTO-BELISOL - BEL
OMEGA PHARMA-QUICKSTEP - BEL
RABOBANK - HOL
RADIOSHACK-NISSAN - LUX
SAXO BANK - DIN
SKY - GBR
VACANSOLEIL - HOL

Pro Continental
RUSVELO - RUS
TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN-MERCATOR - BEL
UNITED-HEALTHCARE - USA

Continental
EFAPEL-GLASSDRIVE - POR
LA-ANTARTE-ROTA DOS MÓVEIS - POR
ONDA-BOAVISTA - POR
CARMIN-PRIO – POR

Looking at last years results the climb could even be easy enough for EBH to stay within a manageable distance for the GC, but that won't happen since he will ride for Wiggins. Anyway, Tony Martin will win this quite easily unless he loses more than a minute on the hilltop finish, which I highly doubt. Obviously hard to predict though since he hasn't raced yet this season.

auscyclefan94 said:
If the climbers really go for it they will drop him.
On this kind of climb, and this early in the season, Tony is one of the better climbers himself, so I doubt it.

maltiv said:
Looking at last years results the climb could even be easy enough for EBH to stay within a manageable distance for the GC, but that won't happen since he will ride for Wiggins. Anyway, Tony Martin will win this quite easily unless he loses more than a minute on the hilltop finish, which I highly doubt. Obviously hard to predict though since he hasn't raced yet this season.
If EBH has to pace Wiggo up the mountain, I don't know if that will hurt his own chances. He does that even without Wiggo.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
as far as i remember Alto Malhao is about 3km-8.8% but it's indeed an early season and 25km of time trialing will take its toll for climbers while it favours riders like T.Martin

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I guess you people have missed the news that The Giant will be returning to procycling level here, with all the talk of Martin and Contador winning...
The greatest Dutch talent of his age will be riding his first race for United Healthcare.
He will bag this one easy peasy

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Reuell said:
I guess you people have missed the news that The Giant will be returning to procycling level here, with all the talk of Martin and Contador winning...
The greatest Dutch talent of his age will be riding his first race for United Healthcare.
He will bag this one easy peasy

Great to see him back riding, will be interesting to see how he gets on this season. Wouldn't expect too much here though.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Well, you can't expect him to lose no time or just a few seconds to Martin in a time trial. He'll lose dozens of seconds and how can he make up for it without a proper MTF?

I just kidding he is the Andy Schleck of this races:D

will10 said:
They went for it last year and didn't. Malhao is not that hard.
Last year Contador wasn't even in form for that race. I mean Cummings and Van Garderen finished in the same time. In 2010 Contador put 22s on Leipheimer and 30s on Kloden, Sanchez and Purito.

Tony Martin should be one of the favourites anyway. I'm just saying the MTF is enough to create some distance between climbers and TT guys like Martin making the last stage potentially very entertaining.

TRENDING THREADS